Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2015, 08:15 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Alaska, Full Rear Flap - On or Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPASMURF View Post
There is also the ongoing argument with how those with rear radiators fare compared to those with side radiators. Small gravel picked up and thrown into the rad fan can get blasted into the radiator with a rear rad setup. Might be a possible consideration as well??

I remember reading about that as well. I think someone fashioned some sort of metal screen and mounted it below the fan shroud if I recall, but I can't re-locate the thread.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
I remember reading about that as well. I think someone fashioned some sort of metal screen and mounted it below the fan shroud if I recall, but I can't re-locate the thread.

Craig
One of the guys in our 2012 AK caravan made his out of the 1/4" sq wire mesh screen stuff. His covered the entire engine bay area, it was beneath the engine, wired to the frame.
Was it effective? He didn't have any problems, neither did those without such "protection". Of course we drove really slow through the construction zones and gravel roads.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:18 PM   #31

We're in Alaska now and the roads were really bad this year due to the mild winter causing the permafrost to damage sections of road sometimes 10 miles long. No rearguard and roadmaster guardian did the trick. Also used a yoga mat on the windshield.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:35 PM   #32

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrob View Post
Did the trip last year towing a GEO Tracker left the big flap on thought it was high enough off the ground as not to cause problems but the first section of new chip and seal construction we came to broke both headlights out of the GEO and covered the hood with gravel. Took the flap off and no more problems the rest of the trip
The flap was designed with a lot of engineering and extensive research on how to pry hard earned cash from people who just have to have all the accessories to make their coaches look gaudy.
Stay tuned for my new line of muffler bearings expected out in mid August. They are much improved over the ones I patented back in the early 60's.

But with that said I like the ones I installed right behind the tires.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Does the brush type flap make any differance ?
Don
Old 06-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #34

Here is my experience. Traveling back to the west coast from South Carolina we ran into a few over passes that had been graveled. The Jeep had all sorts of gravel on the hood and the windshield had small chips. After returning home, I went up a step driveway and crunched the rear advertising flap. Took it off and we headed to Alaska. Stopped at Duraflaps in Oregon and had flaps installed behind the duals. I also had added the mesh guard between the Jeep and motorhome. Currently in Homer, AK and the Jeep is doing fine. No gravel or rocks on the hood. Very pleased with the current setup. An advertising flap may never be go back on!!
Old 06-30-2015, 11:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donlock View Post
Don
During our AK trip, one of the MH's had one. The owner said rocks went right through the "brush".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #36

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donlock View Post
Don
They sure do! They remind me of a Hula skirt, when I first saw one I had to catch up to the coach as I was imagining this beautiful exotic thing at the wheel.
As I got close enough to see I discovered it was an old fart just like me. Now why would he want to put a Hula skirt on the back of his coach?
Old 11-24-2015, 06:45 PM   #37

Took mine off at home , I wish I would have left it on. I did cover my toad with plastic !!
Old 11-25-2015, 06:56 AM   #38
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by algolfer View Post
Here is my experience. Traveling back to the west coast from South Carolina we ran into a few over passes that had been graveled. The Jeep had all sorts of gravel on the hood and the windshield had small chips. After returning home, I went up a step driveway and crunched the rear advertising flap. Took it off and we headed to Alaska. Stopped at Duraflaps in Oregon and had flaps installed behind the duals. I also had added the mesh guard between the Jeep and motorhome. Currently in Homer, AK and the Jeep is doing fine. No gravel or rocks on the hood. Very pleased with the current setup. An advertising flap may never be go back on!!
Thank you Al. We are glad to hear they did the job.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:05 AM   #39

We went to alaska in June with the rear flap stored and the wrangler's windsheild covered with a yoga mat and a Roadmaster guardian to protect the front of the jeep. No problems and the toad was perfect after a very thorough wash. $5000 damage to the toad the previous summer with the guard on