Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #1

Unhappy Alaska Roadmaster Chassis service recommendations

Hi folks. I’m new to this forum. I am in Homer AK and discovered that I have what appears to be a serious chassis problem. I purchased new tires (Michelin) for my 2009 Safari Cheetah DP last year. They now have about 23K miles on them. The fronts still look new. The right rears are showing wear but still have 75% of their tread left. The left rear tires (both of them) are completely slick. I have noticed no drivability issues whatsoever. No tire dragging under hard braking. The consensus of the FaceBook groups I’m a member of, is either an alignment issue or something bent/broken/damaged on the rear axle. My bus has a Monaco built Roadmaster chassis. I am 227 miles from Anchorage and 6000 miles from home. I need suggestions as to how to locate a knowledgeable technician that can troubleshoot and repair this issue in Alaska. The ideal situation would be a mobile tech. Next would be someone in Soldatna or Kenai. And lastly someone in Anchorage. Can anyone give me a suggestion as to how to locate such a technician?
creagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by creagin View Post
Hi folks. I’m new to this forum. I am in Homer AK and discovered that I have what appears to be a serious chassis problem. I purchased new tires (Michelin) for my 2009 Safari Cheetah DP last year. They now have about 23K miles on them. The fronts still look new. The right rears are showing wear but still have 75% of their tread left. The left rear tires (both of them) are completely slick. I have noticed no drivability issues whatsoever. No tire dragging under hard braking. The consensus of the FaceBook groups I’m a member of, is either an alignment issue or something bent/broken/damaged on the rear axle. My bus has a Monaco built Roadmaster chassis. I am 227 miles from Anchorage and 6000 miles from home. I need suggestions as to how to locate a knowledgeable technician that can troubleshoot and repair this issue in Alaska. The ideal situation would be a mobile tech. Next would be someone in Soldatna or Kenai. And lastly someone in Anchorage. Can anyone give me a suggestion as to how to locate such a technician?
Last year while in Alaska, I thought I needed a repair shop for an electrical issue. Ended up figuring it out myself, but a guy who had lived in Anchorage for several years suggested on this forum a place that he had used and was happy with the work done on his rv. Might give them as call?

It is Alaska performance-
phone # 907-522-8965
6820 Artic Blvd
Anchorage
RPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I would check the 3” square tube on that side for cracks/broken at the frame. It runs down behind the axle and holds the axle in place. There is a picture her: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/crac...-353711-3.html

I would have someone follow you and see if it’s going sideways down the road...not parallel with the road. If both check out I would buy 2 new tires for the front and put the takeoffs on the rear and drive back to the mainland if you cannot find a better repair place.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Funny, same situation here with 2008 Cheetah. Left rear set of tires almost bald, right rear about 50% and fronts near new. Still, replaced all six due to age.

Now after 10k miles I'm seeing wear on the outer edges of the left rear tires.
All others still look new.

Haven't found a cause yet. No noticeable bushing wear, no failed welds or frame cracks.

Unfortunately, there are no alignment shops in my area to do a four wheel alignment check. Might call for a trip.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #5

Any good truck alinement shop can put the lasers on and or visually determine what happened. something is broken or bent or best case just loose and let the drive axle move.

Usually a wheel bearing failing would have by now rather than just wear out the tires. Have either of you with problems noted much higher temperature on the high wear side regarding the wheel bearing housing?
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 04:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
In my case the TST does not show a higher temp for those two tires.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #7

You might also check with Buddy's Garage as they have an excellent reputation in the area. They really know towing trucks inside and out too. We watched them once tow a semi out of a ditch ...it was pretty impressive to watch.

I'm not sure if they have a laser alignment or not and it's hard to say if they will make a mobile call to diagnose the problem but you could call them to ask. They have lots of experience with motorhomes both towing and servicing and will tow 24 hours a day.

Buddy's Garage Towing & Diesel Services --go HERE for website
48714 West Poppy Lane
Soldotna AK 99669

(907) 262-4085

Attached Images

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #8

Buddy’s

At the recommendation of the campground owner of the Seward KOA, we found someone that can diagnose and repair whatever is wrong with our coach 65 miles up the road in Soldotna AK! Buddy’s Garage!

I will update this post in a couple of weeks when we get to Soldotna for those that are curious.

By the way, if you ever find yourself in Seward Alaska, we highly recommend the brand new Seward KOA. Very nice. Full hookups. Large sites. Awesome staff!
Old 08-07-2019, 12:34 PM   #9

Ended up going to Buddy’s garage in Soldotna, AK. Trailing arm on left side was bent causing rear axle to be out of alignment .75”! Buddy’s garage was able to remove, straighten and reinstall. Alignment now perfect. If you’re ever in Alaska and need work of any kind on your Class A or C, I highly recommend these folks! They are honest and competent. Repair only cost me $260! The painful part is having to replace the two tires. But that is my fault for not catching it sooner.

Tags
alaska, chassis, roadmaster, service