Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
AlbanyRV/RVone should I feel disappointed or ripped off?

I would love your input. I purchased the motorhome in my signature from Albany RV in August of 2013. I had them replace the 6 rear tires at my cost (Bridgestone). With all of the excitement of getting the rv and so much to check on the PDI I never checked the manufactures date of the tires. I guess I was assuming I would be getting new/fresh tires. Well, just one month ago I got the notion to check the date and to my surprise the date was 2211. For those who do not know the tires were manufactured on the 22 week of the year 2011.

I purchased 2 year old tires. What a bummer. With a life of 6 to 7 years that is a big loss of useful tire life for me.

I welcome your input, feelings and opinions on this.

Thank you,
Stuart

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
I would love your input. I purchased the motorhome in my signature from Albany RV in August of 2013. I had them replace the 6 rear tires at my cost (Bridgestone). With all of the excitement of getting the rv and so much to check on the PDI I never checked the manufactures date of the tires. I guess I was assuming I would be getting new/fresh tires. Well, just one month ago I got the notion to check the date and to my surprise the date was 2211. For those who do not know the tires were manufactured on the 22 week of the year 2011.

I purchased 2 year old tires. What a bummer. With a life of 6 to 7 years that is a big loss of useful tire life for me.

I welcome your input, feelings and opinions on this.

Thank you,
Stuart
I would certainly bring it to their attention and express dissatisfaction, see what they say. I recently walked off on a pair of steer tires that I waited for to come in to dealer that were nearly 1 1/2 years old, age is age, not as bad as out in sun, aired up and weight bearing, but still aged.

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since most RV tires are replaced by age rather than millage or failrue (or rather should be) I'd ask for like 20% refund myself on the cost of those tires. (or more since they should have given you new).

Worst they can do is say no, and ... Well, beyond that you need professional help (lawyer) and as you may know if you take the tire sales store to court, no matter what the judge decides... The Lawyers win.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #4

I know of NO dealer who will stock tires for all of the different size RV's in their lot. That means that the dealer had to buy the tires from a supplier in their area. Should they have checked the dates on the tires? They should have checked them, but then again, so should you have checked the dates. Considering the fact that the tires have probably not been exposed to weather and sun light deterioration, I question how much, if anything, you may have lost in this transaction.

Before you get too excited I would check with a tire expert and see if you really did come out short at all on the transaction. My guess is that you may not be quite a bad off as you think you are. A little more research may save you some aggravation and allow you to enjoy your purchase going forward.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Well said ,x2
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
RHR

I just ordered tires for our rig today. I had a blowout a mile from home after a recent trip, and found a bulged sidewall on a steer tire, this after hitting a curb and damaging a rear dual the same morning and having a new tire installed. That's another story. Anyway, I told my tire supplier to order them for me, but that I would not accept them for installation if more than 3 months old, and would not purchase them either.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:19 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHR View Post
I just ordered tires for our rig today. I had a blowout a mile from home after a recent trip, and found a bulged sidewall on a steer tire, this after hitting a curb and damaging a rear dual the same morning and having a new tire installed. That's another story. Anyway, I told my tire supplier to order them for me, but that I would not accept them for installation if more than 3 months old, and would not purchase them either.
We all learn by doing. I have bought RV replacement a few times over the years and the last time I remembered both to specify new tires - under 6 mo old - AND to check the dates before permitting the installation to go ahead. The tires presented were within spec.

You do need to reasonable in your request as tires of various sizes are made in batches and it may be several months between batches, and then allow for shipping.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
After the fact transactions can be tough to renegotiate with any business. More than a year after the fact will make it even harder. It really comes down to whether or not the dealer thinks you may be a repeat customer (or cares).
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all for your input. I know I should have checked and I knew I should have however when picking up a new, to me, motorhome there are so many things that need to be checked it is easy to miss some things. I just hate feeling ripped off and that being said I will not let it become a big deal to me.

I have contacted one of the owners of RVone and he is ignoring me so I guess he does not care if I am a repeat customer. I certainly know if sold high ticket items such motorhomes I would do everything in my power to make every customer want to come back to me when buying again.

I do not expect much, just maybe some common courtesy would be nice such as a response.

It appears that when all is going well with your coach they are your best friend however when things go wrong they do not want to hear from you.

Stuart
Old 11-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #10

Good luck with Albany RV. I bought a 2015 class A and have lots of warranty work that needs to be addressed. I have yet to have them return phone calls. It's been three months. They called every day before I purchased, then once they have your money they don't know you and never return calls.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yikes! Bad dealer, thanks for the post it will most likely save another forum member a lot of problems. IMHO I'll pay several percentage points more knowing my purchase is from a reputable well reviewed dealer. Let's just say, "I've been there done that." The lowest price is most times NOT the price you'll pay after the deal!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Yikes! Bad dealer, thanks for the post it will most likely save another forum member a lot of problems. IMHO I'll pay several percentage points more knowing my purchase is from a reputable well reviewed dealer. Let's just say, "I've been there done that." The lowest price is most times NOT the price you'll pay after the deal!
With all due respect I think your comment about a "reputable dealer" is off base. If you look through the various posts you will find a lot of very positive comments about RVOne and a few negatives. Many dealers, in fact let me rephrase that, most dealers seem to have issues with service. I and many others have dealt with the company and have had no issues and would deal with them again.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
This is a very touchy subject and easy to get emotional about it. It is just a shame that on a big ticket item such as an RV many dealers just don't live up to what you would hope and expect in terms of good service. RVone has the niche as a price leader and that is what they are known for. Would I ever buy from them again? Maybe, probably not. If I got a killer price and I could get a factory delivery I would consider it. I would never bring my coach there for service again under any cercumstances. After they serviced my coach I needed to bring it to another dealer to have things re-repaired. That won't happen again.

We all need to decide how much a "great price" is worth in terms of giving up other features of the purchase relationship. Their pre-sales "talk" is great, their follow up service is non-existent. I think if you buy an rv from them and have no problems you win as you don't need them again.

Stuart
Old 11-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #14

Hey stuart, I think my case is worse than yours. I purchased a brand new 2008 Monaco built Trek in Jan. of 2009.... out of state purchase and delivery for me. Like you, it was nearly a year before I thought to look at the dates on my tires. They were built in middle of 2004 !!! Brand new 2008 built coach with 2004 tires on it. Obviously there was not much I could do a year later. Purchased a complete new set of Michelins locally and learned a lot about checking tire dates from this.

Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote