Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #15
Not to brag,

but my DH and I don't earn $100,000 together in a year - so I will keep my NEW fiver for a while it seems and pray that diesel doesn't go up to $10 a gallon and IF it does, then I'll camp closer to home - I may eve n camp AT home

Oh well, we'll figure something out! that is for sure.......

AntiqFreq - Soperton, Georgia
07' Keystone 291RLS 5th wheel
03' Ford F250, 7.3L diesel
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
So which is it, Alfa is out of business or they are moving to Oregon?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's what I'd like to know, too.

It does seem strange, though, that if their intention was to move the operation to Oregon, that they'd close their California plant long before the Oregon plant was up and running.

The "directions" of the 35-acre parcel noted in DriVer's post, puts the land in the Roseburg/Sutherlin area. There's a large area in Sutherlin where the lumber yard used to be. I wonder if that's the land they bought?

2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:56 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The buzz on the Yahoo Alfa forum is that Alfa has indeed folded their tent.

RV Business is now reporting that Alfa has closed.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #18
Newmar Owners Club
The real tragedy is that we are in a perceived energy situation (crisis), same as in the early 70's. Oil wasn't in short supply then, and it's not in short supply now. In fact, we have more known oil reserves now than we did in the 70's, and more reserves are being discovered every day. Refining capacity has not grown to keep up with demand, but that shouldn't affect the price of crude oil.

I hoped our leaders would have learned something from the 70's, and had taken steps for secure and reliable energy supplies, but it seems they did not.

Take a look at any country in the world and notice the standard of living. Energy is life, and the less expensive energy is in ratio of income, the better the standard of living. In all third world countries, it is nearly impossible for the average person to even afford a gallon of gasoline, let alone have a vehicle and afford to run it.

Gasoline in the poorest countries is the most expensive in the world, as much as $16 per gallon, when the average income in that country is probably less than $16 per month. Why? Taxes. If your government can control your energy consumption, they can control your life.

I remember very well the gloom and doom of the 70's regarding GLOBAL COOLING. Since that proved untrue, the same loons decided that the world was getting warmer and started with GLOBAL WARMING. The latest on that is the world will probably not increase in temperature for the next decade. Well, DUH!!

The difference between today's Global Warmers and Chicken Little is, when Chicken Little started yelling that "THE SKY IS FALLING", he did not try to control people's lives with the information, and he did not seek government grants to study the situation so he wouldn't have to get an honest job.

As Errol Pitts says, "WAKE UP AMERICA!"

BTW. Did you know Jimmy Carter helped create OPEC? Friends like that, America doesn't need enemies.
2006 KSDP 3909
Cummins ISL 350HP
2012 F150 Crew Cab Towed
ricere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
The hand writing has been on the wall for Alfa for the last couple years. They were building a 2000 model coach and putting a 2008 year designation on it. I suspected their eventual demise when they never got into full body paint. Not much of a demand for a white fiberglass 40' diesel coach with decals.

Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA FMCA 335149 W3TLN
2005 Suncruiser 38R W24, no chassis mods needed 2013 Honda Accord EX-L 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #20
Newmar Owners Club
While I am sorry for those workers who lost thier jobs at Alfa, it is time for a weeding out of the companies who make products less than those of thier competitiors. Just as nature weeds out the weakest to ensure the survival of the strong, so does business. Also, I got up this morning, found the sun to be shining, and everything right where we left it yesterday, ie: trees, grass, our health, etc. So, instead of dealing with negatives such as the price of gas, (which I cannot control), my focus will be on the positives of life. Besides, it could be worse, I could be burning milk in the rig, as it is now $4.22 a gallon!
Gene & Betty
Spring Hill, Florida
buckeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #21
Newmar Owners Club
Buckeyes, I agree with you about weeding out companies and I agree with you about focusing on positives instead of things you can't control. That's a great way to live! I wish everyone did that.

To a certain extent we can control the price of gas. We can control the type of people we elect to public office who would research the situation without outside influence, get out of the way of more oil production in this country,and not the problem worse, ie. excessive regulations, excessive taxes, wasteful spending, etc.

The bottom line is we can control more than most people think if we keep informed and vote.

All I want is what is best for the hard working people in this country.

My $.02 FWIW Off the soapbox now.

$4.22 a gallon? It's $4.01 here.
2006 KSDP 3909
Cummins ISL 350HP
2012 F150 Crew Cab Towed
ricere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #22
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well we will be stuck with what we have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I chose what I have now. It is our first "last coach". If I'm here to keep it 20 years, I'm a happy camper. If my rich uncle gets out of the poor house and I can trade up to one with even more goodies on it, so much the better. In the meantime I'll just suffer through with my 4 slides, 3 TVs, microwave, gas cook top w/oven, inside toilet, indoor shower w/hot water, on board washer/dryer, dual air mattress king bed, 2 AC/heat pumps, dual propane heaters, 7.5 diesel generator (no auto start, I have to mash the button), awnings over every bedroom and passenger compartment side window plus te big electric PS awning and electric door awning & etc. etc. etc. I thank God for his many blessings including this coach. I am not about to whine because I could only afford the entry level DP or I might not ever be able to afford to trade "up" in the future. Properly maintained my motor should last 500,000 or more miles. By the time I put that many miles on it, I'll probably be 102. I hope I live to see the odometer roll over to that 500,000 miles. DW and I bought this coach with the idea that it would probably be the only one we would ever buy. Yep, I'm stuck with it - "Roughing It Smoothly".

Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote