Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jprince39 View Post
Talk to those that own them not the haters.
I believe both groups have important information to share with a potential buyer. Certainly, the potential buyer needs input from those who own a particular coach, but just as important (IMHO) is to hear from those who chose something else and to hear and understand the reasons behind their choice. After hearing both sides, the potential buyer is better equipped to make his/her own decision.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 11:40 PM   #30

Yep. The op is still looking at rigs and the Alpha has not been crossed off yet.
Onlh 345 days till I retire and start the adventure....oh hes still bery much here.....may only be 12 posts but lots of research going on behind the scenes. Dont want to bother you people too much do I !!!!!

Old 01-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders
Yep. The op is still looking at rigs and the Alpha has not been crossed off yet.
Onlh 345 days till I retire and start the adventure....oh hes still bery much here.....may only be 12 posts but lots of research going on behind the scenes. Dont want to bother you people too much do I !!!!!
Would much rather hear from you than not!!
Good luck with the plan and keep us informed on your hunt!
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:57 AM   #32

My sister has a 02 Alpha with the dreaded glass issues on sidewalls but they still love the unit. They run it a lot and it has been good to them.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders View Post
Good for you ... There are plenty of RVs to look at !!
Old 01-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #34
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Good for you ... There are plenty of RVs to look at !!
X2. Take your time and post as often as you like. This thread will not close until you want it to.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:51 AM   #35

Wow, cool to see you are still there.

I would not discount the opinions of those that do not own Alphas as that would be folly. I would say that the opinions of people who decided NOT to buy a particular thing are as valid if not more than those who did buy. There are some common complaints about Alfas and the delamination issue scares the heck out of me.

Look at a few solid used brands like Winnebago before you settle on anything. Shoot look at as many as you can to get a good baseline.

While at the Tampa RV show, I figured I would stop at the Thor area and take a look at the ACE models. They had some decent floor plans and looked pretty good when you walked in. Then I opened some drawers and such. In the bedroom on the 30.2, I shut a lower door on one of the wardrobes and the entire wardrobe wobbled back and forth. They couldn't spend a couple bucks to brace it. My wife even commented that it was pretty "cheesy". You will still find people loudly proclaiming how nice of a coach they are and how they love them etc...
Old 01-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
Wow, cool to see you are still there.

There are some common complaints about Alfas and the delamination issue scares the heck out of me.

As it does to me.
we have shortlisted a few makes and models from what i can find on the net.
we will only know when we get to go in one physically to view.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:01 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
I looked at several Alphas when I was shopping for my motorhome. I liked the floorplans and especially the large windows that let in a lot of views and sunlight. However I was not impressed with the quality and condition of the ones I looked at, so I passed.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:09 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Know several who Own them but they are out of Business, Some Banks will not loan on a Out of Business manufacture.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #39

I know I've chimed in before, but this is my take on on Alphas. You can do your best to find a clean one, then roll the dice and hope it ends up being worry free for the length of time you have it, or you could go with something that's more of a sure thing (I realize nothing is ever quite a sure thing, but you get my drift). Someone earlier made a Santara reference, which was bang on! I would put See Ya's in the same class as some Coachmens, which I have owned. They have some really nice features, and floorplans, but are not rock-solid when compared to a higher quality model. There are other makes/models that just don't suffer from some of the common conditions these do.

Like I said, my good friend's Alpha was as nice as they got. Low mileage, garage stored in the winter, always dealer maintained, roof inspected regularly, and it STILL fell apart and delaminated. He doubts he'll even sell is, and they do have fun with it, but he feels trapped and stuck with it. Since posting in this last year, I met another neighbor down the road who inherited his father's...and his issues are the same. I should snap some pics (or gets them to come on here themselves), to show you the kind of stuff they're dealing with. You can tell when a problem is caused by neglect or now, but we're talking about stuff that even the pampered examples might be prone to. I say might, because clearly not all have suffered the same problems, or have to date at least. That's why it's a dice roll. My Coachmen was a poor quality unit. I had no problems, but could just tell. Others are happy with them, but that doesn't change things.

Any RV is susceptible to some form of problem, but you look for a pattern. I'm reminded by an Acura CL Type S my sister had, which serves as a great example. Nice cars, but with a 5spd tiptronic auto transmission unique to that model, that had a design flaw... which would ultimately end in them cooking themselves (due to inadequate fluid flow). Acura acknowledged this by extending warranties, but still the problem remained. So the result wasn't IF your trans died, it was WHEN. All of them eventually will. Many owners who havn't experienced any problems swear by their cars, but again....it was only a matter of "when". Am I saying the Alfa is a "when" kind of machine?? I can't answer that, but if the shoe seems to fits....
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #40

I studied for a year and Newmar won out back in 04. Not sure today since owner change up, but probably worth a look since they still seam to have good resale value.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I never saw (I think) a Alpha or even new about them until I found this site. I think they are a great looking rig. I would buy one if it checked out,I think they are sharp looking.JM
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
When we first started looking to buy a MH the Alpha kept coming up as the least expensive of all the used MH's we were looking at. I'm talking $20,000 to $40,000 less than comparable MFGs. We looked at several pictures and viewed two. They are beautiful both inside and out. So what gives? Why such a price difference? We went to 6 dealers and they just frowned when we brought the Alpha name up. One dealer said he wouldn't allow one to be on his lot and began explaining the problems. That was an eye opener. I went on line and investigated more and the problems people had with them were hoar stories. On the other side of the coin there are groups of Alpha owners that are in love with them. What we finally decided was that there was such a negative opinion about them in the MH industry (I tend to always buy thinking of selling some day) that we decided to stay clear of them. But, they have always appealed to me. Too bad about the de lamination issues they had. Maybe the company would still be in business today.