Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #43

The concept was neat. A former Fleetwood exec started up his owner company which later became Alfa Leisure, and wanted to run things with a small company mentality. Other investors came on board, and product lines diversified. But then things got squirrelly. Reasons behind the closure I imagine are many. Certainly an increasing number of quality issues didn't help. But the consensus was the company was poorly managed, fought with issues, and allegations of undocumented workers (immigrants). I have little respect for the way they kept current and prospective owners in the dark about what state the company was in or what the future held. With no big announcements made, they randomly pulled their website one day in the summer of 08

Despite being on their way out, they announced a new facility in Oregon, buying almost 40 acres of prime industrial land, but never did anything with it. 2 years passed with them only making 2 total payments ($2k each) on a no interest loan. The holding company changed sometime after 2011 to Alfa Land. As of just before Christmas, they still own the land, and still haven't done anything with it. Who knows if this was merely them sucking out what was left of the company, then running??? While I understand perhaps why they did it, they did not conclude their business in a respectable manner.

Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2014, 06:44 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
The concept was neat. A former Fleetwood exec started up his owner company which later became Alfa Leisure, and wanted to run things with a small company mentality. Other investors came on board, and product lines diversified. But then things got squirrelly. Reasons behind the closure I imagine are many. Certainly an increasing number of quality issues didn't help. But the consensus was the company was poorly managed, fought with issues, and allegations of undocumented workers (immigrants). I have little respect for the way they kept current and prospective owners in the dark about what state the company was in or what the future held. With no big announcements made, they randomly pulled their website one day in the summer of 08

Despite being on their way out, they announced a new facility in Oregon, buying almost 40 acres of prime industrial land, but never did anything with it. 2 years passed with them only making 2 total payments ($2k each) on a no interest loan. The holding company changed sometime after 2011 to Alfa Land. As of just before Christmas, they still own the land, and still haven't done anything with it. Who knows if this was merely them sucking out what was left of the company, then running??? While I understand perhaps why they did it, they did not conclude their business in a respectable manner.
Makes the "see ya" name pretty funny and prophetic at the time.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #45

I beg to differ still a great coach...just depends what you are looking for. For me fantastic floor plan, wonderful smooth ride, no issues expect to keep up regular maintenance like any coach win win for me ya see I'm one of a many that haven't had the alleged horror stories....but there are bad coaches with all manufactures, try and embrace those that have positive experiences with whatever coach they have.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Single basement air means just that, Alphas had basement air units which are questionable at best and one definitely would not cut it on a 40 footer. You need two ACs.
The "single" basement air is a dual compressor unit, so is actually two ac units in one. We like ours much better than roof units.

We looked at Alphas and decided against them for what we saw as quality concerns. But we have friends who have an 05 ...they are fulltimers and have no significant complaints with it.

With any used rig, as important as ... and perhaps MORE important than ... the original build quality is how well it has been maintained during its lifetime. A poorly/under maintained coach could be a used disaster regardless of how "perfect" it was when new.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jprince39 View Post
I beg to differ still a great coach...just depends what you are looking for. For me fantastic floor plan, wonderful smooth ride, no issues expect to keep up regular maintenance like any coach win win for me ya see I'm one of a many that haven't had the alleged horror stories....but there are bad coaches with all manufactures, try and embrace those that have positive experiences with whatever coach they have.
I totally agree. You have to be vigilante and check over any coach with a fine tooth comb. With that said, when a company goes out of business over quality issues and poor business practices (such as perhaps this one), you really should see yourselves as exceptions, not the rule. For every loving Alfa owner out there, and there are many, they count themselves fortunate that they got a "good one". I personally love their upscale interiors. They had some really thoughtful features and nice details.

It's much like how some people actually liked their Yugo. But you don't hear about them. Food for thought.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #48

Look at something else quality is very questionable.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #49

I see that people that have negative opinions of a particular make of RV's have a negative attitude of every thing but of what they have. I have owned a Alfa See Ya and I love it and the things that I did not like I just changed like the basement A/C heat pump. I completely removed it and installed a ductless mini split system and I think that this system is better than Basement and roof units by far..
Old 01-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdonjuan View Post
I see that people that have negative opinions of a particular make of RV's have a negative attitude of every thing but of what they have.
Blanket statements are rarely true about any subject.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:59 PM   #51

Haven't seen one up close and personal yet, but looked at a lot of ads, and even with the negative points, I still really want one
Old 01-11-2015, 07:08 PM   #52

I don't understand why no other manufacturer has copied Alfa's design. Say what you want about the construction, etc., but having both big windows and abundant storage is unique in the motorhome world, and makes for a very livable coach. Combine that with high quality, and I would think they'd fly off the shelves.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #53

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have owned many brands of motorhomes over the years, and I realize there are many that are fancier and higher quality than mine, but my National is by far the best I have had. To get one of the "better than mine" A person better have 100,000 dollars.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #54

Just speaking for myself and my experience, but I purchased a 2006 Alfa Founder two years ago and could not be happier with the on-road performance, all the windows and plenty of storage inside and out. I love to look at RV's of all types/models and never miss an opportunity at campgrounds, dealers and RV shows to explore them all. I have looked closely at all models referenced by members of this forum and they all have their advantages & disadvantages. I have had some minor "blistering" on mine but I just fix them and go on. I feel this little inconvenience is far outweighed by the advantages. None are perfect so just get what you can comfortably afford and "camp on".
Old 01-13-2015, 03:24 AM   #55

Thankyou for everyones input, we will certainly be having a look at the Alph when we come over....not long now 18th March and we will be there :-)
Old 01-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #56

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
There are a lot of people buying coaches made by companies that went out of business and was bought by other companies. I have not looked that closely at an alpha MH. I know that there 5th wheels were considered to be one of the premium brands of 5th wheel. I have looked at a couple of Alpha coaches just saw one in a lot or one that someone owned in a campground. I have not looked with a buyers eye towards quality but some of the features of the coach I thought were added towards making use of the coach very practical.

I would not try to contradict any opinion any one else makes about them because I have not looked at them closely. I know of a very popular brand that I will not mention that had a lot of issues with leaking roofs. I know of one dealer that got all their units off of his lot because he got tired of fixing them under warranty. When I was looking for coaches this brand was on a lot I looked at and the salesman told me they had it on consignment for someone but it had a issue with the roof leaking and the owner did not have the money to fix it so the salesman was not sure what was going to happen with it. This brand is very popular and there are a lot of those coaches traveling around the country.

Do as some posters have suggested. Do research on the Alfa google apha coach reviews. Look closely at the one you were talking about and see what the craftsmanship looks like to you.

Why wouldn't you want to mention the name? No liability that's is why we come to this site.