Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar View Post
they had some unique features and floorplans, but they definitely had some quality issues. Stuff like delamination, especially of the storage compartments (which weren't bus-style, but rather the cheaper exposed piano-hinge style). They tried to build them with a small company mentality, which was nice....but it just didn't work.
thankyou to all of you for your opinions, and i value your thoughts.
Ok so the Alfa can take a back seat, I likes the floor plans and i liked the drivers area.

Whats next?
Suggestions, looking at a used rig, 35-40' DP or gas up to $70000 max.
wadders is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
All parts are easy to locate, nothing in the Alfa that is not in the standard coach. Oh I am wrong Freightliner is out of business. Of course they are not out of business. But you can see what I mean, about misinformed people who mean well, but have not done there analysis. Do go to the yahoo Groups sites and decide for yourself. And yes like the FourWinds and Monaco, Alfa in certain years were installed with bad siding. I would not trade my 03, susan & I love the high ceilings, lots of storage.
But please join the groups and talk to other owners and make a informed decision based on what you see not what someones 3rd or 4ht hand knowledge. Good luck. By the way, our CAT engine is good for 300K miles.
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders View Post
thankyou to all of you for your opinions, and i value your thoughts.
Ok so the Alfa can take a back seat, I likes the floor plans and i liked the drivers area.

Whats next?
Suggestions, looking at a used rig, 35-40' DP or gas up to $70000 max.
for $70k, if you shop smart and don't mind hunting for deals, the world is your oyster. Here's some examples

Gas Units:

I don't know if you have a preference of Ford V10 or Workhorse/GM V8 (because certain models aren't easily found with certain engines. Im a V10 guy personally).

Newmar Mountain Aire gas - Most 02-06s are GM V8
Damon Intruder. 37X or 38X floorplans offer 3 slides and lots of space
04+ Fleetwood Pace Arrow
04+ National Dolphin - these come in many flavors, from plain to full body paint and all the fancy stuff
Newmar Canyon Star

And pretty much any other premium Class A gas that has solid countertops, wood cabinet facings, aluminum wall subframe and aluminum or smooth sided fiberglass panels (which are less prone to delamination)

Diesel units:

03+ Newmar Mountain Aire DP, Newmar Dutchstar
03+ Newmar Kountry Star
03+ Damon Escaper, Ultrasport, Astoria
03+ Fleetwood Excursion
02+ Fleetwood Revolution (they are out there for $70k, but you'll have to hunt)
04+ Fleetwood Discovery
03+ Monaco Dynasty, Diplomat

I know of a guy selling an Monaco 38ft (Knight I think??), 4 slides, Cat powered, good mileage, full paint for $60k Cdn. So there are deals out there.

A good friend of ours has an Alfa. He likes it, but it has its issues...he's been trying to sell it for 2yrs with no luck. It seems others are privy to their faults.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Alfas

We absolutely love our 2004 Alfa Gold- we bought it in 2006 and have full-timed in it ever since. Yes there have been some small issues but on the whole we are very happy with our choice. We think they are a quality-built rig and wouldn't trade ours for anything. So have an open mind, find what you like, and have fun.
shamrock49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #19

Walk away from the Alfa......
Walk away from the Alfa......
Another current Alfa thread for your perusal:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/alfa-gold-176216.html

BTW, "See Ya" is what I'd say to anyone trying to sell me one.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
But please join the groups and talk to other owners and make a informed decision based on what you see not what someones 3rd or 4ht hand knowledge. Good luck. By the way, our CAT engine is good for 300K miles.
Looking a rig over as I did and deciding that quality is lacking and I didn't like what I saw is NOT "3rd or 4th hand knowledge".
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Looking a rig over as I did and deciding that quality is lacking and I didn't like what I saw is NOT "3rd or 4th hand knowledge".
Same here. I looked at several very closely. Probably the worst quality coach I ever looked at, and I looked at many brands.
Some things coming to mind immediately was a cheesy plastic box in the bedroom with the TV hanging from the ceiling and very cheaply made cabinetry.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #22

Somehow buying an RV from a manufacture that went out of business just dosen't make a lot of sense for alot of reasons.
None the less there have been numerous answers to the OP and thats still the person that needs to take everything into consideration in what ever they purchase.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #23

03 OWNERS, Happy as all get outs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadders View Post
Like what i see with these rigs, but having never owned one would like peoples opinion of them.
40' and 350hp

Thanks
Terry
I will have my Alfa till the tires fall off. there is not a RV in the world that does not have something wrong with it. Do your home work with the one you are looking at. Good luck Alfaman
ALFAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:11 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I know people that bought Yugo's and swore by them. Most people aren't willing to admit to a blunder and some, they're level of quality is below the standard that others have.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are a lot of people buying coaches made by companies that went out of business and was bought by other companies. I have not looked that closely at an alpha MH. I know that there 5th wheels were considered to be one of the premium brands of 5th wheel. I have looked at a couple of Alpha coaches just saw one in a lot or one that someone owned in a campground. I have not looked with a buyers eye towards quality but some of the features of the coach I thought were added towards making use of the coach very practical.

I would not try to contradict any opinion any one else makes about them because I have not looked at them closely. I know of a very popular brand that I will not mention that had a lot of issues with leaking roofs. I know of one dealer that got all their units off of his lot because he got tired of fixing them under warranty. When I was looking for coaches this brand was on a lot I looked at and the salesman told me they had it on consignment for someone but it had a issue with the roof leaking and the owner did not have the money to fix it so the salesman was not sure what was going to happen with it. This brand is very popular and there are a lot of those coaches traveling around the country.

Do as some posters have suggested. Do research on the Alfa google apha coach reviews. Look closely at the one you were talking about and see what the craftsmanship looks like to you.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #26

I'm also an Alfa See Ya owner and you can't let others opinion dictate your choosing what caught your eye initially, because that's when we become dis-satisfied with the decisions with make. All coaches have issues,some bigger than others, not all of the Alfa's had Delma issues mines doesn't I know a couple hundred owners that have no issues with theirs as well. So for what it worth find out for yourself the information you need if you want whatever type of coach. Talk to those that own them not the haters.
Jprince39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #27

I think in that price range you could find an Winnebago Ultimate Freedom / Advantage diesel pusher.

They were produced in the early 2000's.

In a gas rig we have been very pleased with our adventurer.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:20 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wonder if the OP with 12 posts is still looking at them since asking last August?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote