Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2015, 10:41 PM   #1

Alfa See-Ya... Am I crazy?

Please hear out my long winded question. So, now I'm looking at a 2006 Alfa See Ya. And I'm reading some of the same things I was reading when I was looking at a Gulf Stream. "Walk away." "Nightmare." "Would never own one."
Why??? It's got a Cat engine which is good. It's got a Freightliner chassis which is good. It's got an Allison 3000 transmission which is good. So, what is the problem(s)? Are the cabinet doors going to fall off? Because honestly, I think I can handle that. I've heard talk about delamination, so yes, that's a concern, but beyond that what's the issue. I've read that some people looked at them and thought they looked cheaply made. How? Again, is this just low grade carpet and cheap fixtures? I'd really love to hear from people that have owned Alfas as well as other coaches so that I can get some true comparison rather than just hearsay, speculation, or the person that says "love it and wouldn't trade it for anything". HELP!!!
Roamin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 10:55 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Open the cabinets and look at the construction. Soft wood frames with a thin luan backing. Drawers butt nailed, plastic door fronts even in the Gold I looked at.
BUT, like all things, it's built to a price point.
Also, I've never owned one so others might have real world experience too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:58 PM   #3

and then...???
Old 12-30-2015, 04:31 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There were and are lots of Alfa's made with defective exterior sidewalls. Little chips pop off the exterior and it looks like it was shot with a shot gun all over the place. It is caused from moisture in the side wall when manufactured and it freezing when in cold climates. It caused them to go under. I saw one I was going to buy for 35k with 13,000 miles on it. It was gorgeous inside but the exterior was awful and it was a 20 to 25k repair bill.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #5

2005 Alfa 40fd

My comment is, ,, yes i just bought it yesterday. The exterior is terrible with the pits. All the other seems wonderful. My doors are all solid oak and very well made. I see a lot of quality components for the money.
I think i can do allot to repair or minimize the bad look. Then i can enjoy a beautiful low mileage high quality coach for pennies on the dollar.
I need to find a manual if anyone can help.
PorterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #6

I think they are beautiful units and very eye catching. The interiors are gorgeous. And yes, some of them have exterior issues that are very noticeable. If you can deal with the pitting I am sure you can wheel and deal on the price.

As far as Gulf Stream is concerned. Gulf Stream used to build quality MH's but they priced themselves out of the MH business. Do not compare the older Gulf Stream units with the poor quality of Gulf Stream TT's of today. There is absolutely no comparison.

Kim
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I like the way the alfas look. Sounds like you should get full body paint. Definitely shop around for the best price.

All of these RVs have flaws. It sounds like you committed.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/wher...ted-93370.html

If you got it for a good price, a $15k full body paint job may give you the most unique alfa in the country.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:16 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have one at our the dealership I work at that is the employees MH. Employees that don't have a MH are allowed to check it out as long as you bring it back clean and full of fuel. It doesn't have the exterior issues others have noted. Nice interior and runs well.

I have only been in it once or twice, but I have seen nothing that screams out cheaply made.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #9

I have a 04 GS crescendo 8356 with all said described in your post. While it is considered an entry class DP it has everything I liked, and too me quality built. Additionally, it has been no more work, as were the two Fleetwood I had prior. Yes, I got caught up in all the post of Huey pump, engine fan bearing and I do think of that from time to time. However, after annual inspection of these items I have had no issues thus far and I'm sure each will outlast me. I think if your looking at something you like, and it's affordable go for it. Truthfully, I would like to have an EC, but when I think about expense, and what I have now, it would be pretty hard to beat. I'm sure would also be equally labor intense.
jamador1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:53 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone who pitched in and offered their advice and input on my questions. I am now the proud owner of a 2004 Tiffin Allegro Bus 38TGP. I will post a couple of pics on the "New Rig Show-off" forum!
Old 01-22-2016, 10:23 PM   #11

Congrats on your new coach. I hope you get many carefree miles of travel.