RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2016, 08:28 PM   #1

Alfa Seeya

Who makes them? Why are there so many for sale?

jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2016, 08:53 PM   #2

They were made by Alfa Leisure and they are no longer in business. Not sure why there are so many for sale? Is there one that you are interested in?
Lots of discussion on these with a quick Google search.

John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:56 PM   #3
Decrepit Forum Advocate

The See Ya! was made by Alfa Leisure Corporation in California. They were in business from 1973 to 2008.

I think it's a love or hate them situation as I know many loyal Alfa owners. I also know many who had horrendous problems with them. I'll let others tell their stories as I've never owned one.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:05 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've never owned one either, but it only took me a few minutes looking to decide I wasn't interested due to the materials used and the construction. Even the Gold wasn't any better.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:20 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
The Alpha reputation is somewhat like the Ford Edsel. innovative but had its issues. There are lots for sale, I think because they are slow to sell. They do not have a great reputation in general. JMO... If you are not well versed in what makes a great class A you should look some more. Again JMO
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:03 PM   #6

Some years of the Alfa Class A's (As they have many 5th's too...), did have some delimitation problems (As many coaches of that era did too.)

A positive of Alfa's, besides is they had higher then normal ceilings - great for tall people!

Many Alfa owners are very positive about the ownership experience.

Many manufactures have coaches for sale on the used market. I see many of the entry to mid level coaches showing up for sale. Suspect lots of owners buy them as away to get into a DP. So when they decide to move up, they show up again on the resell market. The Alfa, National Dolphin/Tropical, many Fleetwood/Winnebago/Tiffen/Moanco/Newmar models, and sure toss in a smaller number of Rexhall and Triple E into this mix - coaches can be a great bang for the buck. (I'm doing my best here to acknowledge that many of the manufactures have a broad line model line - entry/mid/high end. For example, Fleetwood have Bounder to Revolution and also American Coach model DP's. While some manufactures, have entry to mid level only.) IMO, Alfa's move into Class A's, were above average 'entry', and with Alfa Gold's a solid 'mid' to say 'mid+' model coaches.

If shopping for a coach. Consider if you like the livability, if it's been well maintained, and if the price seems right. This would include Alfa's too. I would not walk away from one that met the above criteria - especially if it met your livability needs.

Opinions will vary on this. As many will not buy orphan coaches. Or coaches with reputations that are not 'high enough' for them. Only you can decide if an Alfa, or any coach - is for you.

Best,
Smitty
Old 12-28-2016, 12:38 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Smitty77" gave you a pretty good summation of the Alphas. The main reason they went out of business was delamination of the sidewalls. Many companies were trying different products and techniques for constructing sidewalls. Alpha ended up with quite a few bad ones that drove them out of business between repairs and lawsuits. There were other companies that had delamination issues too, but were able to weather the storm.

They were very unique when they hit the market. They had basement air, but were as tall, body size, as a unit that roof A/C. They even made a well in the bedroom roof, so that a domed satellite would sit lower.

Inside they had the tallest ceilings and their driver's side slide (most units, if not all) were the deepest on the market. So deep, that while sitting in one, you couldn't see the front overhead TV if you were on the sofa, closest to the front of the slide. This was solved by putting a smaller TV across from the sofa so everyone had a view.

When new, they even came with plastic Tupperware bins in the upper cabinets. This was most likely a feature they added, because most couldn't reach the cabinets and everything would need to be pulled out at once.

Lastly, they saved money by making all of their coaches white, when other companies were going with two tones and custom paint.

When we first saw one, we were intrigued by what you got for your money. Many of your cheap coaches came with a small motor, but I believe the early Alphas had a 350 HP engine, something that was fairly new at the time.

Since the coach was reasonably priced, we REALLY looked one over. For me, that's where I found issues. Things that were important to me, like structure, was lacking. You could grab a fender and wiggle it around. Many other items were sub par.

You'll get a couple of die hard Alpha fans that will post, that feel they were a great coach. Quality is subjective......for me it just wasn't worth it. With that said, I have seen a couple that people spent the money and did a custom paint job on. They looked nice.

If you're looking for an older quality coach, Country Coach, Tiffen, Newmar and Monaco made good products. I owned a 2005 Monaco Diplomat that I bought new. I would have to say it was the best quality coach I've owned.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 10:00 AM   #8

Well I guess I'll be looking elseware, thanks all.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:33 PM   #9
RV Mutant #172

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Just a side note, (useless information). If I was given correct history, someone told me Alfa was founded by the son of the founder of Fleetwood?
Roadmaster Nighthawk II towing a 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511/ Good Sam/ Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:54 PM   #10

aside from the delm issue they are not many owners that dont like there coach. and the many that bought them used were new and had no experiance..i traded my london aire for a gold...and the fenders that was mentioned there just pastic i.5" extensions attached to acttuall side of coach and this was i think for the new riders when they ddidnt straighten the front tires and then when aired down they did break a piece out...better than real glass in my opinion..and they are srtill available for like 40 bucks.. prices i seen were like 90g for a '07 gold and 35-40g for a see ya and only little more for the founder.. i think that like in '07 the golds had more options and storage that any other and way less money..heck even got electric sewer dump valves..8 batteries, satellite tv antennas . two hot water heaters two sources of heat with heated tile floor.. wel i could go on andon..the roof on mine is solid and foam filled no length wise vents and the best r-value in the industry even now i htink.. oh roof and basement aire....the basement storage doors are like 2" thick abnd insulated. included a weber grill and patio side propane. well enough
Old 04-21-2019, 07:55 AM   #11

I have a 2004 Alfa SeeYa that I just recently purchased used as it's 3rd owner. It is a very beautiful coach with high ceilings and solid oak cabinets. Even a ceiling fan!

The downsides I have found are:
1. Being an orphaned coach, model specific parts, other than common RV stuff are sometimes pretty tough to find. Alfateers took over the parts warehouse when the company closed its doors in 2008 and has some parts still available.

2. The basement air (2-compressor, 2-stage heat pump unit) is massive, and an awesome design...when it was new, but it is now aging and many are wearing out. The coils cannot be purchased as for what I have heard so when they need replacement, you're out of luck. Dick Albritton in Louisiana is about the only place that will work on the unit and he's scaled back to part time so getting an appointment there is a chore. Removal of that beast is a feat in itself. There are no aftermarket replacements and some owners resort to roof air units. But given the already tall height of the body, care must be taken when adding accessories to the roof to keep within legal (safe) height.

3. The generator is a 7500 watt diesel powered Generac that works quite well. Generac has, however, gotten out of the RV generator business so I am told. A replacement 8000 watt Onan runs around $9,000.The inverter is a Xantrax 2000 watt with a 100 amp charger. the coach is pre-wired for solar panels.

Delamination of the luan/gelcoat siding is an issue, often causing blisters in the gelcoat, particularly in colder climates. Residing the coach CAN be done...to the tune of about 10-12,000 before paint. (Mine, fortunately, hasn't shown evidence of the blistering.)

The windows were dual-pane windows and with age are pretty much all fogging up and will eventually need replacement.

The plusses?:
1. BEAUTIFUL oak interior furnishings.
2. A very comfortable ride and handling
3. More headroom than any coach out there
4. a really deep main slide in the living room/dining room area that opens up the living area tremendously.
5. A Freightliner custom chassis that is pretty universal.
6. Mine has a 330 HP 7.2L Caterpillar 3126 paired to an Allison 3000 MH 6-speed automatic. Very smooth running drivetrain.

And yes, the former owner of Alfa (A Loving Family Affair) was the son of the owner of Fleetwood.
jimharvey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:27 PM   #12

all those things you say are old and outdated are on many coaches not just Alfa's. I don't know what model specific parts you talk of. every system and elec and plumbing and appliances ect are not coach specific, the only coach specific like every brand are the parts that hold it all together. and there are way more out of business coaches than in business.
of course the ones with pits are an eye sore but there not the only ones with those kind of problems. and only affect appearance. I have not heard of delam issues like other coaches just the pits.I think the many coaches with the spider cracks all over are just as bad, like my previous London aire. but I guess my '07 gold with full body paint doesn't have those problems so I defend like the thousands of others. oh and the coils you speak of are not needed, they are for instant hot water, just bypass. you still have the other water heater and is elec and propane. and genrac parts are plenty and are in thousands of coaches not just Alfa's. my Gold came factory with roof air along with basement. height is not an issue its picking right unit. well im sure you get my point. and if you have any problems Alfa owners group has best answers for anything in class. not a thing you could have wrong and not get correct procedure. oh one more thing if you have solid oak cabinets its the only one I heard of. they do have solid oak fronts not sides.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #13

Quote:
oh and the coils you speak of are not needed, they are for instant hot water, just bypass. you still have the other water heater and is elec and propane.
What coils are you referring to? I was talking about the refrigerant coils in the basement air conditioner.

Quote:
oh one more thing if you have solid oak cabinets its the only one I heard of. they do have solid oak fronts not sides.
I stand corrected. The cabinet fronts and closet trim, and slide trim, and drawers... but your right. The cabinets may not be solid oak.

Your post came across like I was one of the many that put down the Alfas. Far from it! I am a proud owner as you are and plan on refurbishing and upgrading it, and keeping it for many years on the road. The trick in buying an Alfa, as in energy motorhome, is finding one that has been cared for and properly maintained. I, unfortunately, got one that the prior owner(s) appear to have been wannabe DIY RV techs named "Edward Sissorhands" who knew nothing about electrical or electronic design. Some were good ideas with good components...just poorly installed. I have wrong sized butt-sliced wires throughout the coach and some of the most ridiculous wiring mods I've seen since I was a teenager. But...piece by piece, wire by wire, it's being fixed. Not Alfa's fault, by any means.

You are correct about the Alfa forum in groups.io being a wealth of information. Some great folks on there with years of Alfa ownership experiences and stories to tell.
jimharvey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #14

oh I was referring to the coils in the aqua heat I have an instant hot water heater in the unit that heats the tile floor ect and some who forgot to drain the hot water coils in that unit burst and are expensive to replace but you can just bypass and use the second water heater like you have. if we ever get a chance to be at same place id love to show off my gold series.. we have the 1008 model with full wall slide and wife loves the walk in closet, which she doesn't have in house. and a shower twice the size of our house. tell the folks hi at the groups. I was run off site by well I wont name. he just didn't like me.