Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
budwilson's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central, Ohio
Posts: 456
Algae in fuel

I just discovered I have an Algae problem in my new to me 2006 Discovery Cat C7. I am going to add Bio-Kleen in the fuel for a shock treatment. For those of you that has had that broblem how long did it take before you had to change the fuel filter? I have a 30 micron Primary and a 2 Micron secondary that were just changed about 200 miles ago. I am about to take a 1200 mile round trip and hope I dont have a clogged filter since I never changed one myself. Any suggestions?
__________________

__________________
2006 Discovery 39L-2008 Honda CRV
Bud, Sharon, Cody (Grandson) Sophie, Attack Trained Cockapoo
budwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Western WA
Posts: 1,051
I'd suggest you learn how to change that 2 micron filter and take several spares with you on your trip. A plugged fuel filter usually shows itself in a loss of power, especially under load.
__________________

__________________
'07 Winnebago Journey 34H, ISB-02, MH2500
Toad - '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue Ox, Aventa
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
camperkids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bel Air, Maryland
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
I'd suggest you learn how to change that 2 micron filter and take several spares with you on your trip. A plugged fuel filter usually shows itself in a loss of power, especially under load.
X2. Better to be safe & prepared than to be sorry! Jim.
__________________
Jim/Lois 1999 Newmar Mountain Aire MACA3797 F53 - V10
Bel Air, Maryland 5 Star Tuning & Air Lift Bags
camperkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Ranger Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Where the Rig is Parked
Posts: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwilson View Post
I just discovered I have an Algae problem in my new to me 2006 Discovery Cat C7. I am going to add Bio-Kleen in the fuel for a shock treatment. For those of you that has had that broblem how long did it take before you had to change the fuel filter? I have a 30 micron Primary and a 2 Micron secondary that were just changed about 200 miles ago. I am about to take a 1200 mile round trip and hope I dont have a clogged filter since I never changed one myself. Any suggestions?
I had the same problem with the rig I just bought. I purchased a fuel filter wrench and a couple of spares along with a gallon can with diesel in it. Had to do 1 filter change on the 30 micron. 2 micron was fine but changed it anyway. Changed it again when I go home and all was fine.
__________________
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 1,857
Filters

The secondary filter is a bit of a PITA to change on the C7. It's on top of the engine just UNDER a manifold. Several people here, myself included, have documented how they did it.
__________________
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
budwilson's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central, Ohio
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
I had the same problem with the rig I just bought. I purchased a fuel filter wrench and a couple of spares along with a gallon can with diesel in it. Had to do 1 filter change on the 30 micron. 2 micron was fine but changed it anyway. Changed it again when I go home and all was fine.
Ranger Smith, how long or how many miles before you had to change the first filter?
__________________
2006 Discovery 39L-2008 Honda CRV
Bud, Sharon, Cody (Grandson) Sophie, Attack Trained Cockapoo
budwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
bdpreece's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Woodburn Oregon USA
Posts: 2,598
Did the previous owner install a priming pump? If not, either install one or carry a can of clean diesel to pre fill the filters. Cat's will air lock on a dry filter and then it is a real pain to get them started. You might also want to make sure you have a road side service policy from either Good Sam or Coach Net just for peace of mind.
__________________
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ , ISL 400
2014 Ford Explorer toad
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
budwilson's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central, Ohio
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Did the previous owner install a priming pump? If not, either install one or carry a can of clean diesel to pre fill the filters. Cat's will air lock on a dry filter and then it is a real pain to get them started. You might also want to make sure you have a road side service policy from either Good Sam or Coach Net just for peace of mind.
It does not have a priming pump yet and I do have Coach Net so Im good on that. I was told the 2 micron filter shouldnt clog as the 30 micron would catch the algae before it got to the secondary filter
__________________
2006 Discovery 39L-2008 Honda CRV
Bud, Sharon, Cody (Grandson) Sophie, Attack Trained Cockapoo
budwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
bdpreece's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Woodburn Oregon USA
Posts: 2,598
As a born pessimest I always try to be prepared for the worst, that way if the worst does not happen I am estatic. The 30 micron filter catches anything 30 micron or larger. Hopefull that would be the majority of the algae gunk but, anything smaller than 30 microns will pass through the 30 micron filter to be caught and sooner or later plug tha 2 micron filter. I seem to remember reading where you should change the 2 micron every second change of the 30. Just for peace of mind I change both of mine together once a year, but then again I am not experiencing algae growth. Hopefully all will go well on your trip. Please check back and let us know how it goes.
__________________
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ , ISL 400
2014 Ford Explorer toad
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Ranger Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Where the Rig is Parked
Posts: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwilson View Post
Ranger Smith, how long or how many miles before you had to change the first filter?
I went about 1200 miles before it needing changing. Was losing power and couldn't get up to speed.
__________________
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
budwilson's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central, Ohio
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
I went about 1200 miles before it needing changing. Was losing power and couldn't get up to speed.
Thanks Ranger Smith at least that gives me an idea of what to look for.
__________________

__________________
2006 Discovery 39L-2008 Honda CRV
Bud, Sharon, Cody (Grandson) Sophie, Attack Trained Cockapoo
budwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fuel



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.