Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #15

RJay that is an interesting article, thanks. I learned something tonight. What most diesel owners do not know is, virtually all diesel fuel today is B2, or 2% biodiesel. Higher blends are usually posted on the pump. Biodiesel is the best and cheapest way to replace lost lubricity during the sulfur removal process at the refinery = B2. Lubricity Study Results
I must correct my incorrect link in my previous reply. Algae-X Diesel fuel Catalyst is what I intended to link. Sorry guys.

Here is an interesting article from MotorHomeAdvice.com that addresses this topic.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #16

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpbauer View Post
One place you can't find either algaecide or biocides is at truck stops. It is a problem for those of us who have to store our vehicles for awhile. If you are running fresh fuel and burning through it, the problem is less of a risk. That said, we can't ever be sure just what condition the fuel retailer's tanks are in.

I haven't really had a problem yet, but I won't stop being vigilant and proactive. I try to run a tank of fuel every month....was thinking about ordering online. Recommendations? I live in Florida.
Flying J carries biocides.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ladies & Gentlmen,
Thanks for all the responses to my algae issue. As usual, without any knowledge about a problem you are at the mercy of the dealer selling his product.

TRUCKWEST in Fountain CO recommended "KILLEM". Read the instructions carefully, it's 2.3 oz to 1000 gallon of fuel. (powerful stuff). I tanked to the max, gave it a shot and off we went. I pulled the fuel/water seperator that evening. A bit of black stuff came out. Shook the container, a little more.
Reloaded the filter, topped of the tank, topped the fuel, re-shocked with "KILLEM". Nice smooth ride, no hiccups.

Was glad to see no one had to purge their tank(s) in order to cure the problem.
As always, thank to the RV"ers and members of "iRV2" for their wisdom and willingnes to share.

Norm & Anne-Marie
nam.64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:54 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to gmccausland
Glad to hear all is well. I use a biocide once a year. Those of us with RVs unless we fill up at only truck stops run the risk of old/wet fuel. Cummins does not recommend additives but they do not mean biocides. I questioned them and they specifically said they don't like additives that supposedly add cetane value etc.
gmccausland is offline   Reply With Quote