Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2011, 06:26 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Algae in the fuel tank.

Is it necessary to have the fuel tank purged and cleaned or is there a product anyone has had success with in arresting the problem?

Thanks in advance,

nam.64
nam.64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I think an algaecide or biocide is what your looking for. Its success depends on how bad your problem is.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #3

I had the same problem in my previous MH and I used Biobar JF. It killed it all in 24 hours. You use the quantity for "shock" treament and pour it into the tank and then fill the tank up all the way. It can be purchased at most Marine Supply stores. I had to change the primary filter at 5000 mile intervals twice just to make sure all the dead algae was out. In order for this algae to take hold requires that some amount of water to have been in your tank. After you have killed the algae you should put some water remover/emulsifier in your tank. Have you noticed any water in your fuel/water separator?

Hammonds Companies | Biobor JF
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to gmccausland
Fuel "polishing"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nam.64 View Post
Is it necessary to have the fuel tank purged and cleaned or is there a product anyone has had success with in arresting the problem?

Thanks in advance,

nam.64
This would happen quite a bit with the diesels on my boat. Every 5 years or so I would get bad fuel from the marina in the spring. You can try the biocide and then change filters but that can be expensive. Most marinas have a way to "polish fuel". It cycles the tank fuel through a filter and saves you the expensive filter replacement. Might be an option.

Good luck. It is not the end of the world but it is a pain. After this is fixed, make sure you add a biocide on a regular basis.

George
gmccausland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
And please don't confuse a biocide with biofuel. I use a biocide in my tank(diesel) I would never put biodiesel in my tank.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
And please don't confuse a biocide with biofuel. I use a biocide in my tank(diesel) I would never put biodiesel in my tank.

Why not?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Because biofuel has an affinity for water.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Cummins told me the best way to protect from fuel algae is to keep the tank near full. They do not recommend fuel additives. Their official position, is: "Not Required"

Too many fuel additiives only do harm and eat up filters. The one who comes out ahead with fuel additives is the salesman.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #9

We are not talking fuel additives here. This Biocide is not the same you use it onece to get rid of the algae and again when you store it. It is not for the engine it is for the fuel tank. Please do not confuse the two.

batman_777, you are exactly correct. When you are not driving the MH then keep that tank full to the brim. It still has an airspace above it so it is still possible to get condensation. If you live in Florida, Geoargia, Louisiana, Mississippi, of the Texas coast with all the heat and high humdity it is hard to prevent water from getting in the tank.

nam.64, the reason I changed out my primary fuel filter twice was because I was cutting them open to see if the black slime had gone. By the time of the second fuel filter check it had all gone.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #10

Tips for diesel owners contains good information for us. Algae-X
is one of the better products when there is an algae problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Because biofuel has an affinity for water.
As does diesel fuel, fuel oil.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
We are not talking fuel additives here. This Biocide is not the same you use it onece to get rid of the algae and again when you store it. It is not for the engine it is for the fuel tank. Please do not confuse the two.

batman_777, you are exactly correct. When you are not driving the MH then keep that tank full to the brim. It still has an airspace above it so it is still possible to get condensation. If you live in Florida, Geoargia, Louisiana, Mississippi, of the Texas coast with all the heat and high humdity it is hard to prevent water from getting in the tank.

nam.64, the reason I changed out my primary fuel filter twice was because I was cutting them open to see if the black slime had gone. By the time of the second fuel filter check it had all gone.
Mike has it exactly correct. Use the biocide to kill the algae if you know you have algae (you know when you change your fuel water separator and find gunk in it). You may have to change your fuel filters 2X in one season to get the 'gunk' out. When parked, make sure your tank is full to prevent condensation.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Tips for diesel owners contains good information for us. Algae-X
is one of the better products when there is an algae problem.

As does diesel fuel, fuel oil.
Hi Ray,
That's like saying it rained in Texas and it rained in Tennessee. Both statements are true but when you investigate further you find that Tennessee is under 12 feet of water.

This is only one of many articles on the subject.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
One place you can't find either algaecide or biocides is at truck stops. It is a problem for those of us who have to store our vehicles for awhile. If you are running fresh fuel and burning through it, the problem is less of a risk. That said, we can't ever be sure just what condition the fuel retailer's tanks are in.

I haven't really had a problem yet, but I won't stop being vigilant and proactive. I try to run a tank of fuel every month....was thinking about ordering online. Recommendations? I live in Florida.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #14

Pat, any Marine supply place will have Biobar JF. There are lots of marine place in Florida. The biggest is West Marine and they are all over the place. You are correct in that I have never seen it is a truck stop.