Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #1

All batteries dead Thor ACE

I have a 2014 Thor ACE 30.2 that has set up for several months and all batteries are dead. Usually can use the emergency start but now all batteries are dead. I have tried charging through the shore power connection and the engine battery. Is there a main switch or breaker?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #2

Have you checked your battery disconnect switches by your entrance door?
Toggle them, and try again.
Ted

Old 02-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #3

Thanks , I toggled the USE - STORE switch and it did not work
Old 02-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #4

Have you checked all breakers & fuses and tried a master reset (breaker panel foot of bed) ?
Old 02-19-2016, 12:52 PM   #5

I called the Thor people and he said sometimes a battery charger will not start charging if the batteries a so dead they will not give a signal. I jump started the engine then toggled the USE STORE switch and it seamed the start charging. Thanks for you help
Old 02-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #6

Be sure to check your electrolyte levels in you battery regularly. Add distilled water if necessary to bring them to the proper level.

Ive heard of cases where a 1 year old battery bank was wiped out.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:58 PM   #7

I had the same issue on my 15ace 30.2. Fluid was less so did not charge

2015 Thor Ace 30.2
Orlando, Florida
Mahakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #8

Batteries charged

The batteries were so dead they would not accept a charge. After jumping the engine batteries I could start the generator and it charged them system. I am going back and check all the electrolyte levels and go and run the engine and generator on a more regular basis. Thanks for every ones help, this forum is very helpful for RV dummys
Old 02-24-2016, 05:53 PM   #9

I just had the same problem. I bought my 2013 ACE 30.1 last April. I winterized it in November but did not remove the batteries. First learning experience! REMOVE THE BATTERIES I tried to go by the MH about every two or three weeks and start the unit and let it run for about 20 minutes. Second learning experience! 20 MINUTES WILL NOT CHARGE AND MAINTAIN THREE BATTERIES I recently went by to check and the house batteries were dead. The starting battery barely started the engine. Also, my hydraulic leveler control unit was going crazy. Third learning experience! YOUR BATTERIES HAVE TO BE CHARGED FOR YOUR LEVELERS TO WORK

Here is where these forums are so valuable. My dead house batteries were Marine/Deep Cycle that I imagine were original on the unit. Before going out and buying two 12 volt Marine/Deep Cycle batteries to replace those I decided to do what I should have done last April. I researched batteries and asked questions on forums. The consensus seemed to be that Marine/Deep Cycle batteries were pretty much useless as house batteries. Most people recommended that I buy golf cart batteries if they would fit in my battery bay. I have plenty of room.

My thought was that I would have to buy four 6 volt golf cart batteries to get the same power as two 12 volt Marine/Deep Cycle batteries. Fourth learning experience! After more research and browsing these forums I found out that two 6 volt golf cart batteries could have as many amp hours as two 12 volt Marine/Deep Cycle batteries. By the way, I now know what AMP Hours are.

I found two golf cart batteries at Sam's for $122 a piece that had AMP Hour ratings of 235. The two Marine/Deep Cycle batteries I originally found at Sam's for $100 a piece had AMP Hour ratings of 110. Fifth learning experience! 235 AMP Hours versus 22O AAMP Hours. Series versus Parallel.

I have purchase a three stage battery charger, AC/DC Voltmeter and a hydrometer. Cost me less than $100. Because we do not dry camp and given the fact that my battery bay is huge I decided against AGM 6 volt batteries (twice as much money)and decided to go with traditional flooded cell. I also now know the difference between traditional flooded cell, AGM and Gel batteries.

I will check my batteries at least bi-monthly and fill with distilled water if they are gassed. My cranking battery is now out of the MH and on a trickle charger at home. Because the two new golf cart batteries were tested before leaving Sam's I am going to leave them in the MH until our first trip in late March. I am also going to test my converter as soon as it gets warm to make sure it is working.

This mini novel is a tribute to all who are willing to give their time, knowledge and experience to us newbies!

Tags
ace, batteries, thor