Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #1

All Breakers on in box?

Hi everyone, just pulled into my first campground in my new to me '01 mountain aire and realized only 1 a/c was running. I went to the box and turned on the 2 single pole breakers and now both a/c's are running. Is this typical or is the box wired incorrectly? I checked the 50 amp outlet with only that breaker on with a volt meter and a diagram from the internet and that seemed to read correctly. Thanks in advance...George
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know how many breakers you have total in your panel but we have 4 which are actually tandem (piggyback) breakers for a total of 8 circuits. 1st tandem has a/c #1 (20A) and micro (15A). The next breaker in line has a/c #2 (20A) and water heater (15A). Then the next two tandems in line that control other areas of the coach. Hope this helps but the two a/c units should be on seperate breakers.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I assume you're talking about the campground power post. There is normally only one breaker for the 50 amp service. The other breakers are usually for the 30 amp receptacle and a 20 amp duplex. The two a/c units usually operate independently either on seperate thermostats or one thermostat that controls both. One unit may have already met the thermostat. You may also have a power management system that will shed load based upon the size of the service you are plugged into so you don't blow a breaker. Make sure it is set for 50 amps. Can't speak to the wiring in your campground.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #4

I believe you misunderstood my question. I'm talking about the breakers in the power box outside. One double pole breaker and two single pole breakers. Thanks...(this was for the first reply)
Old 04-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #5

Right. The thermostats were set so both would come on as we just came off the road. After doing things outside I came in and the front was hot and the rear ac was on but not the front. I shut off the rear ac and the front came on. I turned the rear ac back on and the front shut off and the rear came on. I know they should both be running at the same time so I went back outside and turned on the two single pole breakers just for kicks and then both ac's starting working together.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
George, my guess is the power pedestal is improperly wired. If you were utilizing the 50amp power coard from the MH, the two single circuit breaker should have nothing to do with your operation.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by maneddi View Post
I believe you misunderstood my question. I'm talking about the breakers in the power box outside. One double pole breaker and two single pole breakers. Thanks...
I guess I did misunderstand the question but as mentioned already can't really speak for the wiring in the park. I guess something I could ask though, if you turn off one of the single pole breakers do you still have 240V at that 50A receptacle? You really can't tell what someone may have rewired inside the pedestal box. Those two single pole breakers should only be controlling the 30A 120V receptacle and the 20A 120V duplex receptacle in the pedestal. The 50A 240V breaker should be controlling only the 50A 4 wire receptacle as well.

After reading your re-post I would have someone look at the pedestal wiring, because what you are describing sounds like someone did some re-wiring that is totally wrong.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #8

Ok, I don't know exactly what happened but as a test I turned down the temp on both until they came on and went outside and flipped off the two single breakers to see if one of the ac's would shut down and it didn't. Both kept chugging right along. Sheesh....thank goodness this is our last stop before home. Next time I stick my plug in a hole I'll have protection. ; ) I'm ordering one of those gadgets that tells you if the connection is good or not. Thanks everyone for your replies.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
N ormally the park is wired like this

50---one side of 50 amp outlet
||
50--- other side 50 amp outlet

30--- 30 amp outlet

20 --- 15/20 amp GFCI outlet (like in your bathroom at home) -0r-
15---- 15 amp GFCI outlet (same thing but neutral is not "T" shaped)

You should not have to turn on the 20 or 30 amp breakers.

What I think happened.

Most common breaker is the Square D style, on this type of breaker there is a "notch" at the bottom that fits over a bar, this is non-conductive, and of no electrical importance, it is there for SUPPORT only.

Near the top, in the back, there is a "Clip" this fits over a bus bar, THIS is the power connection,, and above that on the front is the screw where the wire hooks up.

IF the breaker tips a bit forward (Towards you or out of the box) one of two things happens.

ONE: things heat up and the breaker trips

Two: Connection fails and no power is passed.

When you turned on the other two,, You also "Fixed" the fifty amp breaker, Either by pressing in on it a bit, or by jaring it enough to make contact.