Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fact check

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans47 View Post
Retired Arson/Fire Investigator. Because Propane is lighter than air and some people are stupid beyond correction. It is one of my worst fears. Example. Gas to a residence was turned off. Guy hooks propane bottle to wall heater with old piece of garden hose. Turns on bottle goes outside for his last cigarette . Comes back and flicks his last bic!!!!!
Don't forget diesel burns also. We lost 2 friends this year from a front tire failure that tore lines from the fuel tank. The diesel ignited.
Propane is HEAVIER THAN AIR

Propane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Unlike natural gas, propane is heavier than air (1.5 times as dense).

This will allow it to pool on the floor of a RV if there is a leaking cooktop, valve, or fitting.

Safe travels to all

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=txviking;1819927]Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm not ruling out propane, I just have a preference not to have to deal with propane, refill tanks etc.

We spent 2 1/2 months in our MH this year and never had to fill the propane tank. When we got home we stopped to fill it and it took 10 gallons in a 22 gallon tank. We used it for cooking and heating in the mornings. Maintenance is almost zero. I think it is a great quiet and clean source of energy that can be managed quite well in conjunction with the electric appliances.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Propane is HEAVIER THAN AIR

Propane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Unlike natural gas, propane is heavier than air (1.5 times as dense).

This will allow it to pool on the floor of a RV if there is a leaking cooktop, valve, or fitting.

Safe travels to all
Sorry, like I pointed out you cant fix stupid. Heavier is what I meant and what makes it dangerous.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #18

OP, there are many coaches that don't have propane and the higher on the food chain the model is, the more likely you will find. Your budget should get you close to the 2004 vintage and maybe newer. The coaches that are marketed as all electric is what you are looking for. They will have a residential refrigerator, electric cook top, microwave convection oven, and aqua hot or hydro hot (diesel/electric hydronic heating). The all electric models usually have a larger battery bank and the proper inverter or inverters. The only thing it's lacking in my opinion is a diesel cook top but I think that is more due to to the US RV industry. I know diesel cook tops exist and other countries use them. An all electric coach is what I prefer for my future coach. The diesel heat like the Oasis previously mentioned is a tough and expensive retrofit. You are better off having it from the get go.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel went with Aqua-Hot (Hydro-Hot) in the late 90s so there are lots of coaches out there that will be in your price range. Higher quality, older coaches have a lot of good things built in - just takes some shopping. However, do realize that they have service needs that are much greater than propane and that when they are working everything is wonderful, but when they are not it is $$$ to fix.

That said, don't know why you are so concerned about the propane. Has been used for years and years in RVs with very little in the way of problems.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Retired Arson/Fire Investigator. Because Propane is lighter than air and some people are stupid beyond correction. It is one of my worst fears. Example. Gas to a residence was turned off. Guy hooks propane bottle to wall heater with old piece of garden hose. Turns on bottle goes outside for his last cigarette . Comes back and flicks his last bic!!!!!
Don't forget diesel burns also. We lost 2 friends this year from a front tire failure that tore lines from the fuel tank. The diesel ignited.
Please post facts don't perpetuate misinformation...LPG is heavier than air not lighter, it settles to and collects at the lowest point. Hence the detectors are placed close to the floor, not high on the wall or on the ceiling.

If a leak in a propane fuel system occurs, the gas will have a tendency to sink into any enclosed area and thus poses a risk of explosion and fire. The typical scenario is a leaking cylinder stored in a basement; the propane leak drifts across the floor to the pilot light on the furnace or water heater, and results in an explosion or fire.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagesByHawk View Post
Please post facts don't perpetuate misinformation...LPG is heavier than air not lighter, it settles to and collects at the lowest point. Hence the detectors are placed close to the floor, not high on the wall or on the ceiling.

If a leak in a propane fuel system occurs, the gas will have a tendency to sink into any enclosed area and thus poses a risk of explosion and fire. The typical scenario is a leaking cylinder stored in a basement; the propane leak drifts across the floor to the pilot light on the furnace or water heater, and results in an explosion or fire.
If you read all the posts you'll find that I had already been corrected for that. I know about propane I just said that backwards I was in little hurry that day. After your nasty post I probably won't be back thanks
Old 11-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
If you read all the posts you'll find that I had already been corrected for that. I know about propane I just said that backwards I was in little hurry that day. After your nasty post I probably won't be back thanks
Devans...sometimes ya gotta have thick skin on these internet forums...this one is actually pretty tame.

But, please accept my apology if my post seemed to be "personally correcting."
The RV world (like how propane differs from natural gas at home) is a mystery to many. This forum is an outstanding resource and even veterans can learn here...

So, don't leave. Stay around and try to add to the conversation

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Those replies had not populated my newsfeed. Another aspect of needing to have a thick skin when participating on forums.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
We have propane in our coach that will run the cook top, the refrigerator, and the water heater. We also like to boondock our generator and heater are diesel. So we have to run it for an hour or two a day to charge the batteries when were unplugged. When we do that we have it run the hot water heater (also electric) and crank up the heat pump(if needed) for heat or the AC (diesel generators like a load). Last year we spent $257 on propane. Also once a year I have all my propane equipment get and annual check and have the regulator checked to make sure it's set right. I also stay on top of my generator maintenance with oil change with filters every 150 hrs and other stuff as needed or recommended. If I had an all electric kitchen and no propane hot water heater I figure the maintenance on the generator and heating system (aqua hot) would cost more than the propane. Our propane is also hooked into a flammable gas detector that will shut off the flow at the tank if it alarms. Propane is a safe fuel but like anything that is flammable or combustible you have to pay attention to what you're doing and follow manufactures recommendations. It also pays to have a smoke/CO detector that works (change the clock change your batteries), an escape plan (practice it), a fire extinguisher mounted along avenues of exit and checked annually (you can do that yourself), and an escape kit (clothing, extra credit card, cash, and critical phone number) stashed in your toad or handy in the bedroom if you have to bailout. I'v always been a pessimist by preparation and a optimist by attitude.
Happy Hunting and good luck. Also you might want to check out rv.org and spend the bucks for their product it will be some of the best money you spend on your rv.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by txviking View Post
Thinking about a class A again, and while I've increased my budget a bit, $100K is still my max. I'm looking primarily at pre-2007 so I won't have to deal with DPFs (or worse, DEF) and to stay within my price range.

I would prefer to avoid propane altogether, both from paranoia over the fire risk and because I'd prefer everything to run off a single fuel source (diesel). However, most "diesel-only" RVs seem to be newer and/or more expensive.

Are there any options that fit my budget and my diesel-only preference? If not, is this something I can accomplish with a retrofit without too much trouble?

-Stian
Lots of diesel pushers out there but at 100K max it wont be 2007 more likely 2001-2003 depending on model.Look for the one that has aquahot heat system
Old 12-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #26

There were "all electric" coaches available in the 2005-2006 model years, and what this really meant was Aquahot/residential fridge/electric stove. I have Aquahot and an residential fridge, but since we actually cook in the RV we like the propane range, which is all that runs on propane in our coach. They are around, but not that common.

Paid $150k in 2009 for my 2006 Patriot Thunder, so you can probably manage $100k for what you are looking for. Probably have to go up to a 42ft to get it since it seems to have been only in more expensive coaches at the time.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #27

Stan
Get along with our a gas stove buy one of the new wave stove tops that work of magnetic. As seen on TV They work great and they come with excellent cook ware.
No need to even un coverthe propane stove. Best part they are safe. No fires, they dont get hot.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Do not leave if you notice the worst post about your mistake was from someone that has been on the forum for less than a few weeks. I am sure that you are not the first person to think one thing and then type the opposite. The reason I am so sure is that I have done it on more than one occasion.

I am sure he just is new and had to jump in there and show us all how much knowledge he has. I will show you how much knowledge I have I just took your post that propane is lighter than air at face value as being correct. Now I know after your correction why my LPG detector in my coach is about 6 inches above the floor.

Tags
diesel