Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #1

All-diesel RV

Thinking about a class A again, and while I've increased my budget a bit, $100K is still my max. I'm looking primarily at pre-2007 so I won't have to deal with DPFs (or worse, DEF) and to stay within my price range.

I would prefer to avoid propane altogether, both from paranoia over the fire risk and because I'd prefer everything to run off a single fuel source (diesel). However, most "diesel-only" RVs seem to be newer and/or more expensive.

Are there any options that fit my budget and my diesel-only preference? If not, is this something I can accomplish with a retrofit without too much trouble?

-Stian

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #2

Check out my 2002 Eagle in the classifieds. It does have propane for the cooktop and heat. The cooktop can be retrofitted with an electric cook top very easily. Fridge has been converted to residential AC. You'd still have propane for the heat.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by txviking View Post
Are there any options that fit my budget and my diesel-only preference? If not, is this something I can accomplish with a retrofit without too much trouble?

-Stian
There is a retro fit But i don't have all the info on it I'd like.
There is a heater that runs on diesel fuel that the OTR trucks use and its said they use about a gallon over night. I'm not sure if those units would be large enough for a Class A but 2 of them would almost certainly would.
As usual when seeking info or pricing on one of these steer clear of saying its for a "RV" but instead say it for a sleeper.
We all know that when there is a part that fits both a RV and truck the RV part usually comes with a 300% price of the truck part.
THe school bus i drive has a very small one it only heats the coolant and engine. (no fan for the inside of the bus) But when I start the bus on a 20'F morn the heater work as soon and i hit the fan switch.
2 examples :
http://www.proheat.com/trucks/airHeaters/index.html
http://www.truck-drivers-money-savin...com/espar.html
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Thinking about a class A again, and while I've increased my budget a bit, $100K is still my max. I'm looking primarily at pre-2007 so I won't have to deal with DPFs (or worse, DEF) and to stay within my price range.

I would prefer to avoid propane altogether, both from paranoia over the fire risk and because I'd prefer everything to run off a single fuel source (diesel). However, most "diesel-only" RVs seem to be newer and/or more expensive.

-Stian
Stian.
I really don't know what the issues you are talking about with propane.. Biggest issue would be Refrigerator.. I bought an 04 4 slide Travel Supreme for under 100K this spring.. It is absolutely a stunning coach.. It does have a propane stove and furnace and hot water heater.. None of which has given me any issues.. I also added an extend a flow so I now use a portable bar b que and gas campfire.. The coach has propane detectors and co detectors and don't really have an issue..
The all electric coaches can have issues as well.. Especially if you dry camp..
Take a look at some talk to some "Experts" I think you are eliminating a whole bunch of high quality well priced really high line coaches by your position..
Just my .02
BUT, I would replace my Norcold with a residential if or when it dies.. Just cause they are more trouble free..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
rhusak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is really not rocket science. Accessory companies have stepped up to help with this exact idea.
Buy any RV you like...then replace the water heater and furnace with an Oasis unit:
Oasis Heating Systems | International Thermal Research
And replace the 'fridge with a residential 'fridge.
Finally cooking can be all electric but diesel cooktops are available from the yacht business. A convection microwave replaces the stove and the cooktop can even include an induction unit that stays cool while heating a pot or pan.

Extra batteries and a high quality inverter, with maybe some rooftop solar panels will keep the power on when away from shore power.

These things are on the newer and expensive coaches, but are available to the rest of us too. And, these projects can be done over time too...all you have to decide is what you want to do first (most often it's the 'fridge)

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:25 PM   #6

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm not ruling out propane, I just have a preference not to have to deal with propane, refill tanks etc.

If I do buy an RV that uses propane for heating/fridge/hot water, what can I expect to spend to retrofit diesel/electric systems throughout the coach?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #7

Just FYI - I agree with Ron about the propane. I never have issues and when you go to a park with less than 50 amp...you are going to want the gas as a backup - so you can keep your electrical usage for the AC. If you try and get by with everything on electric...you are going to find parks were you will be using one appliance at a time - when you could have been using them on gas....gas water heater versus gas, heat pumps on AC, etc, etc. I would recommend using both and everything on your coach once in a while - just to keep things working....as Ron says - just my .02 worth.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm not ruling out propane, I just have a preference not to have to deal with propane, refill tanks etc.

If I do buy an RV that uses propane for heating/fridge/hot water, what can I expect to spend to retrofit diesel/electric systems throughout the coach?
I would venture a guess that installation would be more cost than the equipment. So if you are handy, it could be very affordable. If you are not a DIY'er then maybe try to start with a RV that has an all electric kitchen already...they are getting more common. Plus, often the'fridge has to go in via the windshield opening

The cost of the Oasis will depend on the size RV so the unit can properly heat it...variable.

As far as campground power, 50amps can feed 2 AirCon's, converter/charger, microwave, water heater and your entertainment needs - no problem. If you start popping the breaker on the post, then you can pull systems back to Diesel, one at a time...probably starting with the Oasis(?) It gives you unlimited hot water on Diesel if I understand how it works.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:25 PM   #9

Our coach is all diesel. We have a 2002. Don't think you could get an Affinity all diesel 2002 for 100, but maybe a Country Coach Magna all electric from 2001 or 2002 might be at 100 or less.

We have had our coach for 4 years. I would never go back to having any propane on board. All electric works great. A must though is auto generator on. Country Coaches have that. I am also adding some more solar so except for super hot days I won't need to run benny.

I would guess there are some Monacos from around the same year as mine that are all electric. I am not positive of that though.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #10

There is a conversion to electric for the propane furnaces. Google "cheap heat" About $500 but looks pretty good. Probably not good for boon docking.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Our 2000 has the cook top as the only propane device remaining. We have used about 3/4 tank remaining, after 2 years. We spent 5 months in it last year. Its not too much trouble for me to fill it every 3-4 years.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
LP is safe, its used in so many applications. Its used inside buildings to power forklifts and other combustion engine powered equipment.

Problems occur when folks loose sight of common sense safety practices, stop performing inspections and regular maintenance of their LPG systems.

I know there are lots of videos and stories about catastrophes blamed on LPG but if you were to investigate, the issues started with a human element and a series of bad decisions (which is the cause of 99.9% off all accidents).

I like the versatility that having redundant options when it comes to heating, cooling and cooking. I am not a captive to a single system that should it fail, leave me doing without.

Recently we were parked near a MH that was a diesel everything, man that thing was noisy! The water heater which also apparently heated water for their radiant heating system sounded like a small gas turbine engine. Glad I wasn't parked right next door to it.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #13

Suspect most brands offered a Hydor-hot/Aqua-hot [diesel-heat] option around/ after the mid--2000s, luxury coaches probably had it earlier. With diesel heat/hot water and a residential frid, you are basically good to go--just replace or abandon the gas cook top and you will not need to fill the propane tank. Challenge might be the $100k limit but mid-2000s should be available in that price range. Not sure that a conversion option is the best way to go. Must also note that diesel "mini-boiler" systems have there own set of issues. You will need to do some home work on this one.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #14

Retired Arson/Fire Investigator. Because Propane is lighter than air and some people are stupid beyond correction. It is one of my worst fears. Example. Gas to a residence was turned off. Guy hooks propane bottle to wall heater with old piece of garden hose. Turns on bottle goes outside for his last cigarette . Comes back and flicks his last bic!!!!!
Don't forget diesel burns also. We lost 2 friends this year from a front tire failure that tore lines from the fuel tank. The diesel ignited.

Tags
diesel