Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #1

all electric

I'm thinking about buying a all electric coach. Is this a good idea.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome kkaos to irv2.
With all the problems with the gas refrigerators many are converting to the residential fridge.
As long as you have shore power at times should keep up batteries to run in between stops
Good luck in your quest.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I suppose it depends on how you intend to use it.

We bought an all electric coach last fall and so far all is going well. The only time it could be an issue is if you do a lot of dry camping (no electric hookup). The longest we've dry camped was 4 nights. I sure do like the 'auto start' feature on our generator. It kept the batteries charged with virtually no intervention from me. It was also very hot and we needed the A/C at night. Again the auto start monitored the temp settings and in total the generator only ran 3 hours over night vs 8 or 10 if I'd just had to let it run constantly.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I would love to have an all electric coach. When the old technology refer dies, I'll replace it with a residential. The gas cook top goes next.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Electric RV

How about getting rid of that "oven" that we never use and now call it a
bread box.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I have a residential Whirlpool fridge with eight six volt batteries and have never had a problem yet. My solar panel helps in the daytime and my generator autostart makes sure I do not run the house batteries down below a preset charge level. I have no danger of a camping fridge fire.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I am changing my direction on all electric.

I am changing my direction on all electric. My original 1997 model Norcold was such a pain I was really down on RV refrigerators and thought all electric was the way to go. Two years ago we replaced the original Norcold with a new model. This new model is incredible. You can actually put ice cream in the freezer and it will stay frozen. It keeps everything in the refigerator compartment at a perfect temperature. Our old refirgerator took days to cool down and even then only kept drinks cool, not cold. When a big electrical storm knocked out power last month it changed over to propane automatically and kept everything perfect without running the generator or inverter.

I now think the latest RV refrigerators are actually better than the residential units.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vito what will that new fridge do when the outside temps are in the 90's or over 100*? Will the ice cream still be hard. My gas fridge always worked if it was in the 80's or below.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I definitely would go with a residential refrigerator if I were to do it again but still would want to have propane for stove top. You can't beat gas for cooking so my wife reminds me every time she use our electric unit it the house. Especially after I remodeled the kitchen and replaced the range top with another electric unit instead of a gas one.
kketterling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Vito what will that new fridge do when the outside temps are in the 90's or over 100*? Will the ice cream still be hard. My gas fridge always worked if it was in the 80's or below.

Mike, you may be right on gas. But on AC it works well, even over 100 degrees. I did notice the new models no longer have a 12V power option.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All electric coach.. Now I know that often plans change but for me it would be a very bad idea.. Of course, that's for me.. For you.. Let's look at the big issue:

Are you always going to park for the night in a place with 50 amp electrical serivce? 30 amp service. zero amp service?

If the answer is 50: Yes, an all electric coach might not be a bad idea

if the answer is "Mostly 50 but sometimes 30" well... IT is a bit tricker but still might work... I mean we do run nearly "All electric" and get by on 30 sometimes.

If you plan on boondocking.. No, bad idea. you may need propane for heat.. Though with enough batteries you might make it through the night on electric only.

We... Occasonally boondock, and when that happens and it's cold out (IE: 30's) the song we sing is to the tune of one called "Cocaine" but the title is "Propane"

Propane, the stuff that keeps you warm, propane.

(I only wrote that first line)

Anyone wish to continue the song. Please. do so.

Now; A fact to consider.

120 vac fridges come in two types.. Type 1 runs on 120 only takes 100 watts (for a small one) or more (For a larger one, and yours will be larger) running, over a kilowatt starting. Opening the door does not significantly increase usage (The light)

Type 2 runs on either 12 or 120 volts.. less than 50 watts for a full size running with the door closed. 50 watts.. The light in the first type may well draw more than that!

Oh, where do you find these high efficiency low power full size RV 12/120 volt dual power fridges?

Your RV dealer of course, both Norcold and Dometic have at least one such model.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:28 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure that I follow your logic. I have a residential fridge that is 120 volts only and I have a Aqua-Hot central heat system, eight six volt batteries and a 12.5KW diesel generator that I will run all night if I need airconditioning. My Aqua-Hot gives me better heat than any propane system and runs on diesel fuel so no pain I don't need propane. My generator is on a auto-start system that starts at a preset battery voltage if I need so I don't run them down too far and I have a solar panel. I can dry camp and run my generator about three hours a day to charge up all the batteries if required.

When traveling I park in Wal-Marts, roadside rest areas or truck stops with no power hookups and have not had a problem. I can dry camp at a race track for a long weekend or longer without a problem.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:05 PM   #13

I just like the idea of the fridge staying cold with the dual power/fuel while tooling down the highway. Beers cold when we get to the campground and set up camp. On electric (30amp) while camping in Tioga, PA a month ago, temps were 107 day time and no lower than 80's at night and everything was ice cold, the ice maker was making ice and the frozen food was frozen. 2000 Allegro.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

But an all electric with a residential fridge stays ice cold with a single power source. My inverter is running all the time and I have a 270 amp alternator on the motor and my eight batteries