Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2019, 10:05 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFTH View Post
No battery/solar combination will run a/c.

I think that statement is a few years out of date. An AC is 1400 watts....

LFB's can store plenty to cover the night.

In addition to what you slap on to your roof may have to bring some extra panels and set them out but it CAN be done.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2019, 07:42 AM   #72

We have a electric and propane Phaeton with a residential fig. I was really concerned about boon docking with the residential refrigerator. We have 1000 watts of solar now and 6 AGM 6v oversize batteries with 2000w sine inverter. No problem running frig and all other appliances except AC, Micro wave, washer/dryer/and portable heaters. For those we run generator. We don't use the water heater when boon docking (wastes too much water getting hot water to faucets) but heat water the old fashioned way on the stove. We do have the propane stove, water heater option and furnace. though
Nanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:10 AM   #73

We have 300w of solar panels a 2000w inverter and have not lost power since being off grid for the past 5 months 3x Renogy 100w panels with a 100AH lithium battery supplied 3 outlets for all of our 120v needs plus two maxxair fans and an ARB refrigerator, plus all LED lighting . Worth every penny we do not hook up anywhere ...brilliant
promaster18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:23 AM   #74

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I think part of the divide here is different people’s definitions of boondocking. For the guy who said he never goes to a campground with hookups, and particularly if he is a full-timer, then it may be worth it for him to cover his whole roof with solar and install lithium batteries. But for the average RVer who boondocks mostly for a night or two when between campgrounds, that level of investment will never pay off. Even if you do make the investment to have a major solar installation there are serious limitations. There is no denying that the guy who uses solar alone is going to make a lot of sacrifices that the generator user doesn’t. Such as being able to go where it is hot in summer and use multiple air conditioners, being able to have full power in shady, rainy or nightime conditions, etc.

Different strokes for different folks. Like every other choice in RVing, you choose which compromises you wish to accept.
Well said!
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:50 AM   #75

Think about this option. Micro-Air EasyStart Soft Starter Installation into RV Rooftop Air Conditioner https://youtu.be/soP0uZFd0nQ. I'm planning on this for our next new RV.
79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:18 AM   #76

all electric & boondock

All electric is fine.

We have a 2016 all electric tiffin with 3 a/c units.

We boondock most of the time at the beach & desert.
We run the generator when we turn the ac on and cool down in ten minutes.

We have an aquahot water heater that runs on diesel or electric with no problems.

The full size refrigerator works fine with the 6 coach batteries & 2000 watt inverter. We turn the fridg off at night around 11pm when we go to bed and turn it on in the morning around 8am. It remains cold over night and dose not drain power. in hot weather we have the ags set to automatically turn the generator @ 12.1 volts to charge the batteries.

With a 100 gal water tank we are able to stay out 5-6 days before we need to dump or refill water.

We don't have solar but might put some on just for the extra charge

enjoy you will do fine
ariabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #77

WOW! Where did you find the space for 1500 watts of solar on your RV roof?
LizJimH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:14 AM   #78

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I think part of the divide here is different people’s definitions of boondocking. For the guy who said he never goes to a campground with hookups, and particularly if he is a full-timer, then it may be worth it for him to cover his whole roof with solar and install lithium batteries. But for the average RVer who boondocks mostly for a night or two when between campgrounds, that level of investment will never pay off. Even if you do make the investment to have a major solar installation there are serious limitations. There is no denying that the guy who uses solar alone is going to make a lot of sacrifices that the generator user doesn’t. Such as being able to go where it is hot in summer and use multiple air conditioners, being able to have full power in shady, rainy or nightime conditions, etc.

Different strokes for different folks. Like every other choice in RVing, you choose which compromises you wish to accept.
Your post brought back memories...

I find it funny we are focusing our campfire conversation to defining what boondocking is...diesel, propane, solar.

The dicussion was no less intense 48 years ago.

Backpacker vs Base camper. Base campers pull in with a vehicle/trailer filled with big tents, heavy axes, coolers, canned beverages, bottled water coleman stoves and lanterns,.... and backpackers forage for water, carry light tools...pocket knife folding saw, frozen foil packs and dehydrated food, iodine tablets cook over open fire or a backpacking stove, if lucky...

So who's camping???

Yeah...different strokes...but we al love and respect the outdoors...and get out to enjoy it.

Hmmm. were you guys in my Scout Troop??
Old 03-30-2019, 02:47 PM   #79

I wonder if anyone has ever thought about installing a window unit in their rear closet to cool their bedroom only. Sleeping is the main time that I am concerned about being cool. The 5000 BTU window on the market now only draw about 500 watts. But, of course that means probably 1500 to 1800 Watts to start. That should be no problem for my 2800 watt inverter & 6 deep cycle 6 volt batteries. My concern about this idea is how long will the batteries last with that amount of power being drawn. I also have a Residential Refrigerator for which the most I've ever seen it draw was 500 watts. To get air conditioning without a generator I would be glad to install two more batteries.
79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:33 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79cvx20 View Post
I wonder if anyone has ever thought about installing a window unit in their rear closet to cool their bedroom only. Sleeping is the main time that I am concerned about being cool. The 5000 BTU window on the market now only draw about 500 watts. But, of course that means probably 1500 to 1800 Watts to start. That should be no problem for my 2800 watt inverter & 6 deep cycle 6 volt batteries. My concern about this idea is how long will the batteries last with that amount of power being drawn. I also have a Residential Refrigerator for which the most I've ever seen it draw was 500 watts. To get air conditioning without a generator I would be glad to install two more batteries.
Many of the AC units will let you operate at low cool/fan and they use quite a bit less. You are going to have to run the generator at least 4-6 hours or more to recharge the batteries so don't know about this
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:40 PM   #81

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
guess when it comes to propane I'm lucky to have a 29gal tank that's about 136lb of propane. Of course ya have to deduct the 20%-ish room for expansion. i can run about 4-6 weeks without conserving.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:45 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
I am in the minority too. Had my inverter go south one time while boondocking, still had my outside gas grill, and cold beer and cold and frozen food. Guess I am a prepper.
Another minority vote here. We have a 2002 Dutchstar with 190K miles. We’ve managed just fine and don’t feel like the Flintstones. 😂
Dutchstar53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:20 PM   #83

Count me in the minority also. I do some boon docking and it is hard to beat a gas/electric system. Solar panels are nice and they do work. But if you are in the desert and want to run both air conditioners you have to run the generator. No other way or you will have some dead batteries and possibly damaged.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:24 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79cvx20 View Post
You need to make some calculations on Amp hours (Ah) used. You can calculate the amp draw per hour of your AC and then you know roughly how many Ah the AC will require from your batteries while it is on for the night. The Ah add up quickly and you need a massive battery bank to run AC and a fridge and other items. Good luck with that.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, electric