Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
All electric coach

Looking at newmar ventana 2013 3433 all electric coach. . This is our first MH and we are not really sure about the all electric. We like to camp at state parks and maybe even try some boondocking. Not sure if all electric would be good for that. Any one have any insight, we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a bunch. LJL

Ljl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Most of the state parks we have stayed at only have 30 amp service. I would make sure you can run at least one A/C along with the frig and water heater at the same time on 30 amp. It you have induction cook top you would most likely need to turn off the air in order to cook when connected to 30 amp.
Not a big deal as long as you know about it ahead of time.

Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
Another consideration: a number of the federal parks have no electric (glacier and all the 'rustic' campgrounds around Yellowstone) and have restricted hours that you can run a generator. We have a coach with propane stove, HWH, furnace and fridge. With this setup we can boondocks for weeks at a time (water and holding tanks are the limiting factors). Just something to consider before you buy. Good luck and enjoy.
jdr159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:37 AM   #4
Thanks for the information. That's kind of what we thought, but the salesman will tell you anything. We didn't want to buy the wrong coach for our needs, since we are new at this and know nothing about them. Coming from a tent! Ljl1976
Ljl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
That was us too: started with tents, then a 36' power boat before we stepped into an RV. Forgot to ask, why are you starting with new for your first coach? A LOT of $$ for something that will take a big hit in depreciation the minute you buy. Others will suggest that your first coach should be used. That way you can figure out what features you like, don't like, and don't have. Once you have this info you're much more informed for the next phase: Buy another coach, or upgrade the one you have.

We bought a 2000 Newmar Mountain Aire 40' that had $18,000 in upgrades done to it in the previous 14 months (came with all the receipts and maint history). We paid $50,000 in June 2012 for it. Drove out of the dealer's lot and put 7,000 miles on it with ZERO issues. It was a trade in for a newer coach. Told the salesman to CALL US when the gentleman trades his next coach, that we'd buy it!,

Don't know where you're located but the dealership is Conway Rv's in Grand Rapids Michigan. We drove 600 miles for the deal. Well worth it.

We're very happy we did things this way. Boon docking much more than we thought we would (neither of us likes crowds or someone 20' away in another coach). Right now we only use campgrounds when we want to dump waste and get water. Having a 'propane' coach allows us to enjoy the quiet of the parks and wilderness without the noise of a generator running 24/7. We only run it every couple of days for 2-3 hours to recharge the house batteries (have to have entertainment!!).

Good luck and sorry for the long post!
jdr159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Personally, I really wouldn't be worried about staying on 30A with all electric. The all-electric really won't use much more electricity than a electric / LPG model. If you have problems with 'only' 30A, you'd have problems with 30A with an electric / LPG model too (all it really means is that you probably won't be able to run 2+ ACs at the same time and / or run your dryer).

As far as boondocking, a lot of people do it with all-electric but you have to access your personal requirements. Many all-electric will have 8 batteries so that will easily let you run on inverter for a day. With the generator during the day and solar, you can easily stay indefinitely.

We don't have all-electric but I'd gladly swap our LPG fridge for an electric one and we typically always camp without electrical hookups during the summer (usually up to 2 or 3 weeks at a time).

There are lots of threads on bookdocking with residential fridge so you can look into it. That's the biggest thing you are giving up as far boondocking. You'll also have an electric stove but for us that's not an issue as we don't use it when we wouldn't be able to run the gen anyway.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
An all electric coach is likely to have an EMS, or energy management system, that will selectively shed the power to various systems or appliances (based on priority programing) to keep you from blowing breakers, either in the coach or the campgrounds.

We are able to run two A/C units on 30 amp. If we start the microwave, as example, the system will drop the rear A/C as needed to keep everything else going. An all electric will have additional batteries to extend your "off the grid" times (opt for AGM style, if you can) but it will be measured in hours, like a maximum of 24, and not days. We can set our gen set to auto start when the batteries need to be recharged, I'd suggest this it a must if you plan to spend much time with no shore power. (It will also automatically start if we have the A/C on and the temp rises above what we have set).

Neither the cook top nor the A/C units will run off batteries. You'd need to run the gen set if you do not have shore power.

In either case your heat and hot water will be either the traditional LP fired or a diesel fired boiler that pulls fuel from the same tank as your engine and generator. If staying somewhere during an extended cold period, as one scenario, the diesel fired will give you a much longer time before you need to go looking for a refill.

As the RV gets bigger your options are more restricted in terms of suitable sites. Consider how likely it is you'll stay in a state or federal facility without shore power and with gen set restrictions. Typical restrictions are, can't run it at all or can't run it between 10 PM and 8 AM (we can set ours so it will not start during restricted hours). If the latter, you should be good, just as long as you don't need the A/C or cook top during that time.

Many will always chime in here when this subject comes up and from those responses you'd think everyone "boondocks" most of the time, which simply is not true for the vast majority of us. Yes, there are exceptions. We have an active and committed boondocking group here at IRV2, but as a percentage of the whole I'd guess they are a small single digit percentage of the overall RV community. You have to decide what your usage is realistically likely to be. For us, the all electric has been great, for the hard core boondocker maybe the more traditional would be better, but in many cases I suspect they'd find the all electric is just as practical.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have an all electric coach but I think it would be nice to have. I don't boondock a lot but I'm sure this wouldn't be too limiting under those circumstances. Most all electric coaches come with a good inverter for your fridge and a decent battery bank (some even with solar). Being able to do away completely with an entire propane system helps with maint. costs, cost of propane, and eliminates some potential fire and safety issues.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
Monaco Owners Club
In winter we Boondock a lot of the time and we sure are happy we have our LPG appliances. When we first got the coach we didn't know about boondocking or how much we'd (eventually) like it. Now we're happy to have the flexibility. We have a moderate solar system which satisfies all our electric needs and the rest of the stuff we run on propane. It's a great setup.

Like others have said it really depends how you like to camp. You can certainly Boondock with an all electric coach but you will need to run your generator more often, and if you stay mostly with hookups then you don't need to worry at all. So it just depends on what you want and what you think you might need in the future.
12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
I'm with Wheelingit on this one. We also like the opperyunity of boondocking with LP.
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not As Limiting as it Might Be

Ljl1976 --

I follow technomadia and they did a lithium conversion for their main batteries and now they are looking to move to an all electric coach. This link is to a post they did a year after they did the conversion to lithium and their test results:

"And the system has admirably lived up to calculated expectations just this week I did a capacity test and managed 2hrs 42min of runtime with the AC on max-cool with high fans, and with all our other usual computers and lights on."

A Year On Lithium | Technomadia

I don't think all electric is in my future (I can't cook on electric) it won't limit you if you want to do some research and a few mods to your coach.

Geeky Explorers | Two Geeks and an RV
Keith & Tricia
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37C
www.geekyexplorers.com Twitter @geekyexplorers
geekyexplore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #12
In my mind it is simple. When I boondock I want to enjoy it. Not always being worried about battery life. I kinda think the RV industry has found a cheaper way to make a coach and sell it for more.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #13
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
In my mind it is simple. When I boondock I want to enjoy it. Not always being worried about battery life. I kinda think the RV industry has found a cheaper way to make a coach and sell it for more.
Everybody has their own requirements so there's nothing that's going to be ideal for everybody but I have to disagree that the all-electric was done as a money saving option (although it's possible that they do make money from it (I haven't priced out to see what manufacturers charge for an all-electric vs not)). I'd be surprised if all-electric wasn't a better option for 90% of the RVs who'll never boondock and only camp with hookups. Also I think RVers started putting their own residential fridges in RVs well before the manufacturers started doing it and the manufacturers are only playing catchup. Arguably, they're a better option for most RVers. If you look at the high-end market (where they typically have all-electric optional), I suspect that pretty much all of those buyers will never boondock.

Also, IMO, there's really 3 levels;
1. 'traditional' with LPG fridge, stove, furnace, HWT,
2. 'residential fridge' but still with LPG stove, furnace and HWT
and 3. 'all-electric' (no LPG on board - fridge and cooking all-electric, heat and HWT propably AquaHot or something like that).

Personally, I think that the 'res fridge' is very usable for even die hard boondockers and with a fair amount of solar panels and batteries is not really any different than boondocking with a 'traditional' setup. We don't have a res fridge but when we boondook, we still run our gen for a few hours per day. I don't think it would be any different if we had a residential fridge except that I'd have a better fridge ... Also refiling the LPG is probably a real pain. Where we boondock in the summer, I can probably drive 20 minutes to get fuel but I probably have to drive 45 minutes to an hour (each way) to get LPG refill. I like the LPG stove but I'd be give up alot if I could get out of ever having to go refill LPG.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #14
We traded off an all LP coach last October for a electric one. We do some boondocking but now find with the all electric that is almost too much of a hassle. We don't plan to go solar so will plan to stay more with hook ups. In our coach it is impossible to get thru the night on the batteries. I guess I run my accessories too much. I've got a golf cart that quit on me. May take 4 batteries from the cart and put them into RV and that should get me thru a night.

ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote