Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2019, 05:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The all electric coaches have large battery banks. If I have to, I can run my coach for 24 hours before running the generator. That includes running the refer, water pump, diesel heat and TV.

Many with propane act like they boondock for weeks on just propane. Guess what, everything in their coach runs off 12 volts and their batteries will go dead, unless they sit in the dark, hand pump their water and don't run their coach heat. So when they poo poo all electric, they're being hypocritical as they run their onboard generator or Honda 2000.

To answer your question.....we camp once a year at Yosemite (Upper Pines) for 5 days during the Thanksgiving week. They have three two hour windows for generator use. We run our generator in morning, for two hours, while showering and eating breakfast. We run it again for two hours in the evening while prepping dinner. We then have enough battery power to watch several hours of TV, run our diesel heater all night at 68 degrees without worrying about running batteries dead, something most propane units can't do.

Lastly, many of us started out in tents, tent trailers, slide in campers and trailers. We later moved to all electric coaches and know EXACTLY how they work while boondocking, yet some on here, like to think that all the electric coach owners never camped in anything else.

This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks!
MikeStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2019, 06:38 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Mike, That's a great coach you posted, loaded with options. Flat floor thru out, tons of storage and good ccc. You get a lot of coach for the money.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:50 AM   #31

We had friends that had a 2007 Monaco Signature (Noble III floorplan) with the 600 hp Cummins. The engine sits very low in the cradle on the Roadmaster chassis.

They knocked off the oil pan at the T/A station in Las Vegas at the I-15 and Blue Diamond. If you look under the coach you will see how low the engine sits.

The Signature that Mike sent the link to is beautiful.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:45 PM   #32

Unless you're already really familiar with batteries, you might want to spend time on gaining a good understanding of deep cycle batteries (the house batteries are typically a bank of 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries wired in a series/parallel configuration for 12 volts) - charging phases, amp hour ratings, how far they can/should be discharged, testing state of charge via voltage and specific gravity.
Of course the concepts aren't exclusive to all-electric coaches, but without propane they take on more importance.
Proper maintenance, charging and discharge depth are key to longevity not only to maximize run time but the cost to replace a bank of eight or more 6 volt deep cycle batteries is not trivial.
There's a lot of good battery info in the RV systems forum here on IRV2.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:25 AM   #33

You don't see generic all electric training because it is really many separate things that can differ.

Once you understand the batteries then dig into the inverter. It changes A/C to D/C and the other way. So it charges your batteries and uses your batteries to power A/C appliances. Find your make and model number to study it.

then move on to the generator, and if you have them. Auto Gen Start and Energy Management system.

then the AquaHot or Oasis unit that provides Hot water and heat. It can run off A/C and/or diesel.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
With all electric you will need to run the generator a lot no matter what anyone tells you about solar panels, big battery banks and inverters. OTOH, if its hot enough to need AC, then you will be running the generator for that with a propane coach as well.

So it really comes down to preference and I prefer to cook and heat water, and the coach with propane and have a fridge that works with either AC or propane. It gives us more flexibility in places to stay. We have friends that have an all electric coach, but they always stay in RV parks where they can plug in. We often stay with no hookups 3-10 days at a stretch.
A very incorrect and uninformed statement. Have had my system dialed in for several years now on an ALL electric coach and when sunny in the Southwest desert we do just fine without the generator running.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #35

my coach was a all electric coach and I removed the cook top and changed it to a 2 burner propane cook top as well as installed a quick disconnect for the bbq.

and added 2 x 20 lb propane tanks in a sealed in closure that is vented to the outside . all inspected

we use the cook top and the bbq all the time and if not on the pole we do not need to run the genny very much and we get about one year out of a 20 lb tank . we are in the coach for about 5-6 months a year . small change but it is a lot quieter now

dave
featherlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Props2 View Post
Ummm.....Mr. Mark's rig is in a class of it's own and probably out of reach for us mere mortals.
That being said,I believe it's all about water. Get the biggest tanks you can get if your going to be boondocking. I know its put a dent in a few of our boondocking trips.
Yes a 2015 Liberty coach is out of the reach of a lot of people. However, a 2006 Prevost conversion like mine isn’t. I am astounded at the ride quality and all around build quality of this coach, having come from a very nice Monaco previously. Those looking at a new class A for half a mil or more should seriously consider an older Prevost like my Marathon.
PorscheLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #37

We can boondock by running the genset for 1 hour twice a day for the refer. Add A/C and you'll have to run the genset with the A/C. Not too bad, the generator burns about 1/2 gal/hour at half load and is really very quiet. My AC load is quite high because of all my phone, tablet, GPS chargers (I have six connected), plus an AC digital clock, the microwave and the refer. We enjoy the solitude of boondocking and so far have had no problem with 3 to 5 day stays. The house-size refer is a real plus in our opinion, really wouldn't go back to propane.
Bob '14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer; Jeep Toad
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:07 PM   #38

Has anyone tried a fuel cell battery charging top-up system, with a decent solar panel it seems to me the only use for the Gen-set would be running the air conditioners & if you could find a A/C that used the battery for the compressor motors - no Gen-set needed.
See attached references ( I would not recommend hydrogen on an RV ) but the alcohol or propane fuel would be fine.

https://www.efoy-comfort.com/how-it-works
https://www.wattfuelcell.com
https://new.siemens.com/global/en/pr...solutions.html
popcornkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:49 PM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
We boondock all the time and our Entegra Anthem in all electric. No big deal at all. 2 inverters power everything and when batteries get
Low the generator starts automatically and runs for 15 to 30 minutes then shuts off

We will be boondocking in Quartzsite in January for 10 days no big deal at all. We will never go to a propane coach
Old 11-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
We boondock all the time and our Entegra Anthem in all electric. No big deal at all. 2 inverters power everything and when batteries get
Low the generator starts automatically and runs for 15 to 30 minutes then shuts off

We will be boondocking in Quartzsite in January for 10 days no big deal at all. We will never go to a propane coach
What kind of batteries do you have that charge up in 15 to 30 minutes?
Old 11-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStarr View Post
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...-IH-5010113324

We are in the process of doing our research before purchasing a motor home about a year from now. We will be full timing. Our RV experience is limited to a 2 week rental in Alaska last year but we have also done quite a bit of research so far.

Can you tell me the pros and cons of an "all electric coach" like the one above?

My worry is that we wouldn't be able to boondock very long at all with no propane. We believe we will most likely be staying places with hook ups at least half the time, but also want to be able to boondock for 5-7 day stretches.
The answer my friend is two things. One, get AGM batteries and get enough of them. Good ones will cost around $350-400 each. I can run everything in my coach- except roof airs - on the batteries and they hold up for 3 days. Also, I have NO solar panels! The second thing is don't be afraid to run your generator - maybe I have been incredibly lucky or stupid - but I have no problem running a generator to charge the batteries up. You can fully charge them back up in a few hours. So, quick thinking here- run generator twice gives you 9 days or so boon docking. Amount of diesel fuel used 5 -10 gallons.

After going all electric - I would NEVER consider propane again personally. Much safer, much easier to use and another thing you don't have to worry about running low on. Electric refrigerators are no comparison to propane. Induction stove tops are really nice as well.

Good luck to you - like many things in life. It's usually about the money- but it's virtually always pay me now or pay me later. AGM's and their savings will pay for themselves in about 4 years or less from my calculations. But it still depends on the individual and how much you use your coach.
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:04 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheLover View Post
Yes a 2015 Liberty coach is out of the reach of a lot of people. However, a 2006 Prevost conversion like mine isn’t. I am astounded at the ride quality and all around build quality of this coach, having come from a very nice Monaco previously. Those looking at a new class A for half a mil or more should seriously consider an older Prevost like my Marathon.

But but...the 2006 Marathon is STILL half a million dollars....sigh

http://www.prevost-stuff.com/2006Pre...Premium72.html
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric