Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
The mh are not designed for what is called "No Break" power switching. So when things switch from AC voltage being from shore power or generator power to inverter power the relays cause a momentary break in the power as the contacts open or close and cause DVR, Satellite Tuners and whatever to drop power momentarily. It is not because the voltage goes low but because there is no valtage for that fraction of a second. It is the same as in your house if you where to switch from incoming power to generator power you just can't do it fast enough and will lose power for a fraction of a second.
That's true for the non-inverter circuits. Our inverter, on the other hand, does have "No break" switching, as long as the power on/off is clean. All our electronics are on inverter circuits.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, it does. On my Sig I have three AC units so I have to make sure that the two running are not on the same leg. Both my forward AC units are on one leg and my rear unit is on the other leg so I can run one forward and one back. At some campgrounds it will ocassionally kick a breaker if they both try to start at the same time. The best way is to turn them both down to max cold and not have the fans on high. I cannot run my Aqua-Hot on electric heat for hot water with both ACs running.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

FlyingDiver, no that is the way it is on my plugs off the inverter. If your inverter leaves the outlets on inverted battery power all the time then those circuits will not switch so will not drop off line and appear to be "No Break". There is no such thing as true "no break" power in a motor home because of the cost other than leaving it on inverted battery power all the time. They just don't switch. Nothing wrong with doing it that way. I wish mine would do it like that so I didn't have to watch my #$%%$@ satellite TV do a total restart after switching.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Mine doesn't have that either. But if the inverter circuit was under the control of the load management system, I could see it working. It would need some sort of priority to make sure it's enabled long enough to keep the batteries sufficiently charged.

I've actually turned off the breaker leading to the inverter on occasion, for that very reason. I also do it when we're shutting down the generator. When the generator starts, it's a very clean cutover because the generator doesn't put out any power until it's up to speed and ready. But when it's shutting down, sometimes the voltage drops too far before it switches back to inverter. Causes our DVRs and computers to reboot (sometimes).
If I am switching away from shore power and I do not want want to have my satellite box to reboot, I power on the inverter before I remove shore power. Since the electronic circuits all run through the inverter the switch over is 16 milliseconds once shore power is removed. That is a short enough time period, that the box will not reboot. Then I start the generator. There is a two minute delay on my generator to come on line. Once the generator is on line, I then switch inverter off and switch to the charging mode, or just run from inverter.
However, in reality I seldom see a need for this procedure. If the thinking is that you want the DVR to be running while driving down the road, not such a good idea. The hard drive is constantly reading and writing. The vibration from the road is not something that spinning hard drives like.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
FlyingDiver, no that is the way it is on my plugs off the inverter. If your inverter leaves the outlets on inverted battery power all the time then those circuits will not switch so will not drop off line and appear to be "No Break". There is no such thing as true "no break" power in a motor home because of the cost other than leaving it on inverted battery power all the time. They just don't switch. Nothing wrong with doing it that way. I wish mine would do it like that so I didn't have to watch my #$%%$@ satellite TV do a total restart after switching.
Actually, the internal transfer switch on my Magnum is fast enough that it doesn't stay on inverter power all the time. It just switches to inverter fast enough to not drop the power. I think the inverter is actually running in a low-power sync mode so that it's "in parallel" with the external power. But not actually providing any current.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
However, in reality I seldom see a need for this procedure. If the thinking is that you want the DVR to be running while driving down the road, not such a good idea. The hard drive is constantly reading and writing. The vibration from the road is not something that spinning hard drives like.
Too each their own. We've been doing it this way for over 4 years. We never turn the DVRs off at all.