Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
All electric coaches

Not all of the cgs that we stay at have full hook ups with 50 amp service. Most have 30 amp services. Will 30 amp services be enough to power up an all-electric coach? Will running the generator be required? Will the requirement for 50 amp services become a way of life for durations longer than a few days?

Thanks in advance.

JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #2

If the wx isn't hot we could do it in our 02 45' Signature because it has a diesel fired AquaHot.

If the wx makes it necessary to run ac/hp, 30 amp service will only power 1 ac/hp.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
With 30 amp you will be limited to only one AC and the fridge and the charger/inverter. To use the Microwave,you will have to turn the AC OFF.
Just my humble opinion.
My coach is all electric,except for the stove-top.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:10 AM   #4

If you do not need AC, 30 amp is fine in my opinion.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

A true RV 50 amp circuit is a total of 100 amps divided into two legs and you cannot replace 100 amps with a 30 amp power source. Especially if you have an electric stove top. Now you need some self power management. You have the electric heating element in the Aqua Hot, the residential fridge, the microwave, the AC units, the electric stove top, the wife's hair dryer or curling iron, and the TV and the converter charging the batteries. That battery charger can pull 20-25 amps if the batteries are down. So if you can minus out the AC units then you have to manage what is left. It is doable but is a pain. I bought a CAMCO Power Maximizer which gives you 45 amps and helps some.
Fretz Enterprises Online Store
This joins the 30 amp pole circuit with the 15 amp pole circuit and gives you a single line at 45 amps total. I first use a plug checking device that I bought from Home Depot and check that both plugs are wired up correctly before I plug anything into the pole. I do this a lot.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Not all of the cgs that we stay at have full hook ups with 50 amp service. Most have 30 amp services. Will 30 amp services be enough to power up an all-electric coach? Will running the generator be required? Will the requirement for 50 amp services become a way of life for durations longer than a few days?

Thanks in advance.
Depends on the weather and how much "All Electric" appliances you have.

You can probably only run one at a time Air conditioner/living space heater or the Stove Top. The hot water heater and Microwave oven may also fall into this category--depends on how many heating elements are in water heater and size of the Microwave. If you have two air conditioners you'll only be able to run one.

Look at the manuals for your appliances and look at their power draw. Add them up and compare to the current available (30 Amps), or power available (125 Volts times 30 Amps equals 3750 Watts).

What is the capacity of your generator? In the unlikely event you have a 4000 watt or less you might be able to get by on 30 Amp service. Watch out for the Air Conditioners and or Heat Pump heater start-up load though! Those take two to three times the power to start up and will trip your breaker or worse by burning out.
v8dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Great info.

We are looking at purchasing our 1st MH so I need to understand "what" it will cost to have an all electric coach.

It appears that we will need to watch our amp useage. I have a list of all of the electric items and the circuits they're on in our 5th wheel. We know what we can operate given the power pole's limits.

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
John, I don't mean to snooty, but if you have an all electric coach, I presume it will be close or over 40'. The campgrounds for that size rig will have 50 amp service. Remember you will be RVing not "Camping".

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
John, I don't mean to snooty, but if you have an all electric coach, I presume it will be close or over 40'. The campgrounds for that size rig will have 50 amp service. Remember you will be RVing not "Camping".

fred
Not necessarily. We have a 40-foot motorhome and stay mostly in public parks so many of the spots we camp don't have full hookups. In fact we just spent last 2 months without any hookups at all.

However if you're buying a new all-electric coach it *should* have a smart power management system as part of the coach. Meaning that it should have a means of detecting what kind of power (30 or 50 amp) you're hooked up to and will knock out if you overload your system. For example in our coach if we're on 30 amp running the AC and accidently turn on the microwave & hairdryer, our aircon will automatically switch off.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post

fred
We've seen the all electric option on 36'. But we like camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
However if you're buying a new all-electric coach it *should* have a smart power management system as part of the coach.
Thanks. I look into that.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #11

Quote:
I bought a CAMCO Power Maximizer which gives you 45 amps and helps some.
Fretz Enterprises Online Store
This joins the 30 amp pole circuit with the 15 amp pole circuit and gives you a single line at 45 amps total. I first use a plug checking device that I bought from Home Depot and check that both plugs are wired up correctly before I plug anything into the pole. I do this a lot.
Is this legal?? Probably shouldn't be!

Is it safe??? Seems to be a fatality waiting to happen!!

Unless there is some fancy protection circuitry inside that gizmo, it looks perfect for improving the gene pool. I realise the two 50 amp legs are separate but still seems a bit dangerous given the reported wiring problems in some comgrounds
Old 11-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
30 amp service is considered to have 3,600 watts available (30 X 120 = 3,600 watts)
A 50 amp has 12,000 watts (50 X 2 X 120 = 12,000 watts)
So you will be limited as to what you can run at the same time.
We have two 13.5K btu heat pumps and can run them both on a 30 amp hookup, but anything added and it'll probably trip the breakers.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have to agree that an "all electric" coach will probably spend most of its time in 50 amp resorts rather than searching for power or boondocking? Ours has 8 AGM batteries and two inverters; the fridge is on its own inverter. We have stayed in all kinds of campgrounds without giving much consideration to power supply. We should have enough power on board for at least one night no matter what? We have run everything, including at least one air conditioner on batteries alone, just for a test. Generator will kick in if need be? BTW, I reject this notion of 40+ footers having difficulty finding cg spots .. we've had a 43' tag since late 2007, many thousands of miles and lots of nights with no problems finding spots.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
While we spend the majority of our time in full hookup 50 amp providing RV parks, we have stayed in parks with 30 amp power only. We can run up to 2 A/C units on 30 amps. In our case, the energy management system (EMS) will automatically switch one A/C unit off, as example, should we want to use the microwave. Once the microwave is off the A/C unit will crank back up. You can do the same thing on your own without the automatic EMS

With some small effort in energy management, 30 amp power is very doable.

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote