Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Do you prefer options or an all electric coach?
Gas or electric options 22 44.90%
All electric 27 55.10%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2019, 02:53 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All Electric Coaches v Propane Options: Your Thoughts?

Almost pulled the pin on a new coach this spring.. ONE of the biggest reasons we did not do it was the "all electric" coach trend. Fridge was electric only, cooktop also, water heat.. same same…

I've never run out of propane, it's pretty darn easy to plan around use and fill options with a 30-40 gal tank. (much smaller would also give a lot of options! I usually only fill once per season) I have on numerous occasions woken up to the better half telling me that I need to start the gen because we're low on voltage and the TV won't work!

I don't think that the coaches that had the optional tri mode fridge, electric or gas furnace/heat pump and water heat gas/electric options were primitive... rather innovational!

Why oh WHY have manufactures decided to flood the marked with coaches that are pretty much useless unless you run the gen, get solar or... plug in.

For me, this is NOT why I bought my coach! I LIKE options!

OPINIONS???

SC40QS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2019, 05:48 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I voted "all electric" BUT usually "all electric" is a misnomer...hot water is by diesel (or electric) in a AquaHot unit. I would pass on a rig that's truly all electric. OP, maybe you can add a 3rd option... all electric + AquaHot.

We dry camp often and my BEST mod was replacing the NoCold with a 21 cuft residential refer...BUT I added 3 more batteries, 1000W PSW inverter, and 100A charger. Actually reduced my generator run time.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:18 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC40QS View Post

Why oh WHY have manufactures decided to flood the marked with coaches that are pretty much useless unless you run the gen, get solar or... plug in.
You're got me confused. Do you have another way to charge your batteries that isn't in this list? You're implying that with propane you don't need the generator, solar or shore power. How long can a coach with propane operate without one of the electric sources on your list? What happens when you want to turn on the AC?

As Ivylog already posted many of us with "all electric" coaches have hydronic water and coach heat that runs off the 150 gallon diesel tank. Much better than propane, IMO.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:15 AM   #4

Propane stoves, furnaces and water heaters are a simple and reliable technology. And I prefer cooking with gas.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:56 AM   #5

Techinically, it's inaccurate to call my coach "all electric" since I have a diesel fired system (Oasis/Aqua Hot) for heating the coach and water. So, other than a gas cooktop and having a NoCold that can run on propane and still not be cold, it's not a lot different than having propane except now I will never have to worry about going through tunnels with restrictions on propane, I don't have to worry about a third fuel source (propane in addition to diesel and electric), etc. This is my first coach like this and a couple of years ago I was not for it, but after having one, I like it. That said, I also have a large bank of eight deep cycle gel-cell batteries that help.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #6

I want my propane campfire, and I don't want to deal with little 20lb tanks. I like having the big propane tank and filling it once a year.

Occasionally use the stovetop but could get by with electric there, mostly use the grill or cook outside with electric skillet.

Frig runs on gas while travelling or sitting in Walmart over night. so that saves on batteries.

Aquahot keeps us plenty warm.

I guess I would want propane if nothing else for the campfire ring.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:02 AM   #7

I prefer to have as many options as I can. Gas and electric heat, hot water are nice. What if the generator fails. Its nice to back up systems in place. I don't like all my eggs in one basket.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:07 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We have the all electric+AquaHot. I’ve never been spouse-woken to start the genny as it’s set to auto-start at 12.2V to recharge the batteries. Once everything is off at bedtime, except fridge and small extraneous draws, the charge will last all night. Haven’t really found any downsides. Had this coach since Nov 2016.

I still bust out the outdoor propane stove to grill out, but the residential fridge, convection microwave, and heated floors sure make for comfortable living.

YMMV
-les
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC40QS View Post
I LIKE options!
OPINIONS???
Here's my earlier response to this question and nothing is changed except to say that our decision to replace the electric cook top with a propane one has proven to be a good one. And to those wringing their hands about putting propane in the living quarters; it's a risk we are more than willing to take. It's safer than our practice of driving the coach versus flying.

Cook Top Replacement
Images Of Cook Top Replacement

Anyone want to buy a nice Seaward Two-Burner electric cook top?

And to the original question - we've had AquaHot, Hurricane, and propane water heaters. All in all, we prefer the Hurricane. It's simpler than AquaHot and plumbed into the engine coolant loop. Yes, I know AquaHot delivers unlimited hot water but that's not one of our requirements. Diesel fuel consumption by the Hurricane is negligible and there's no propane tank compartment in the basement taking up valuable storage space.

Since the coach was built as all electric, it has adequate battery capacity to run the house including the refrigerator overnight.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:20 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
All Electric Coaches v Propane Options: Your Thoughts?

“All electric” ( not really true as many use diesel heating ) coaches have increased battery capacity and can almost all , run 24 hours without running a additional power source. The refrigerator of today doesn’t use power like the old ones.
If you exclusively dry camp and don’t hook up to power ever , then perhaps propane might still be a solution.
There is a lot of fear of the unknown that is going on. I spent over a week not using any propane and have friends who have an all electric coach and regularly boondock with no issues. Talk to a few of those folks who will give you the truth, not guesses.

Btw many pro chefs prefer new induction ranges to old gas !
Old 10-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #11

My next coach will be all electric. No more crappy 3-way fridge, no more noisy generator, no more 3rd fuel source, no more plugging in for the most part (EV grade battery and big 2nd alternator). I just need to figure out the best choice to minimize black tank hassles and I'm free.
Jlo11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCoDave View Post

And to the original question - we've had AquaHot, Hurricane, and propane water heaters. All in all, we prefer the Hurricane. It's simpler than AquaHot and plumbed into the engine coolant loop.

FWIW

I guess they’ve changed designs over time. Our AquaHot is plumed through the engine. If it’s real cold out, I can run the AH to heat the engine. We always have hot water from the engine while going down the road. For hot water along, takes the AH about 7 minutes to heat it.

Sounds like AH took notes while looking at Hurricane. [emoji848][emoji106]
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:20 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
I guess they’ve changed designs over time. Our AquaHot is plumed through the engine. If it’s real cold out, I can run the AH to heat the engine. We always have hot water from the engine while going down the road. For hot water along, takes the AH about 7 minutes to heat it.
Sounds like AH took notes while looking at Hurricane. [emoji848][emoji106]
You're right, Les. The reason I mentioned it is because the Hurricane does not use a separate coolant loop as the AquaHot and Hydrohot do. Engine coolant circulates through everything creating or dissipating heat. Thus, no need to winterize the hydronic system, assuming the engine coolant has its normal concentration of antifreeze.
FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #14

I answered combo. That being said, the last normally used remaining draw for LP in our coach, is the stove top. The DW still prefers the LP/Gas cooktop.

We did reroute and plumb our former 3Way Fridge LP feed, to sub out with a 1/4 Quick Disconnect Valve, that we've used from time to time to run a Heat Buddy. And the basement LP tank was modified for using BBQ and or Amazing Campfire in a Can. Along with Extended Stay.

If we retain this coach for the 10-15 years of usage ahead, I'll probably have the large tank dropped, add a slide out to the bay, and put a smaller LP 20 Gal bottle in to support the LP usage inside of the coach. We carry a separate 20 Gal bottle of LP now, and find we use that for outside patio needs the most, due to where we want to place things. The last thing I'd place on that slide out, would be our Water Softener, and plumb it permanently, with a bypass, to feed from/tp the Waterway hook-up's.

We went 20 + months, including a few usages of the Heat Buddy, and went ahead and topped of the LP tank because a gent was driving thru the RV Park in Yuma... The four quarter lights indicated we were below 3/4 and above 1/2. So I expect the 20 Gal would last us easily a year.

The reason is the extra storage, water softener permanently placed, and mostly dropping probably 150+ pounds.

====

If we do move to another coach, I would not be opposed to facing the wrath of the DW and going full Electric. As either in this coach, or a different coach, we'll be adding a robust bank of Lithium power. We have 1250W of Solar on this coach, and a new coach would also be augmented with Solar too.

I feel for those who boon dock, that the option of LP to reduce power needs for cooking and refrigerator was an important asset over the decades. The shift to lower weight, higher draw down, and faster charging Lithium - is I believe a game changer on the need for LP for extended boon docking.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, propane