Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
All Electric MH

What are the pros & cons of owning an all electric MH. We plan to live in it full time for a year or so while building a home, then travel with it.

jriedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can you give us an example of an "all electric" motorhome?

cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #3
I believe the entegra anthem is all electric. You can go thru tunnels with an electric coach.

2014 Entegra Aspire
2010 Honda CR-V
gasman405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #4
Ford Super Duty Owner
I see... meaning "all electric appliances" motorhome?
Old 07-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think, if you boondock, you'll need to run your genny or have enough solar panels to keep your batteries charged to run your appliances.

From a cook's standpoint, an electric/ceramic burner just doesn't cut it. I want the instant on/off of heat only a flame provides.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a discussion on it:
Propane vs all electric??

Having lived in an RV while building a home, if you have immediate access to power while building, electric would be my choice. During the winter, heat takes a lot of propane and I had to get an external tank to re-stock. If you don't have immediate access to power, you may be disadvantaged due to having to run a generator frequently.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Another thing which comes to mind which some could consider a disadvantage, would be that you have limited ability to exist on limited (15/20 amp) shore power.

We spend a month each year at my FIL's rural farm house and only have a 15 amp circuit available to us. We get along just fine by switching our fridge and hot water heater to propane limiting the big draw an the AC. Still can't run big ticket items without the gennie though.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
All electric is the way things are going. An example is the Phaeton line. They are all electric standard. If you want propane it is $22K option. I'll give you my opinion from living in a Phaeton 42LH all electric.
Wife absolutely loves the induction cook top we have. Our particular brand will slow simmer or boil 2 qt water in about 90 seconds.
The AquaHot provides heat quietly, no big furnace blower. Also supplies endless hot water. In summer we don't even use the diesel portion, just the electric supplies all the hot water you need. Even on temps down to about 28 the heated floors and fire place is enough to keepthe coach warm in cold weather.
Really important is the residential fridge; big, good size freezer, through the door ice and cold water.
An all electric coach is simply more like living in your house, there is no sacrificing either comfort or convenience to be mobile.
We have six house batteries and have gone 24 hours without shore or generator power. That's with lights, TV, AquaHot on diesel, and just normal routine (no cooking inside) Could have gone a little longer, maybe 30 hours. Two and a half hours of generator and we were back to full charge.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Just depends on how you intend to use it on the road. We like to get off the beaten path (ie: 10 days on a river in Alaska fishing) so we want something we can boondock a long time with. Our Bus was specially built with gas hot air heat and water heater, a gas cooktop and oven (DW COOKS!!!) and I've added 4 solar panels with special wiring and an MPPT charger. We still have a residential refer, and run a 1 meter Hughes Net dish for internet along with a Trav'ler dish for DirecTV. This works fine for us.

Unfortunately Bob Tiffin won't build this type coach any more, so this is our last Tiffin. All electric just doesn't match our lifestyle. By the way, the Bus is less than 18 months old and we have 32,000 miles on it. We don't fultime, but we use it a lot.
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #10
Fairly simple choice for some owners.

Those who spend 99% of their RVing time on hookups or who love the sound of a generator will enjoy an all-electric MH.

Those who want to enjoy the great outdoors without running their generator every day, will be much better off with a conventional propane/mains/12V/solar mix
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
I think in my opinion ..."all electric" RVs have a cleaner interior look to them. Not picking on any style...just the esthetics of the interior. functionally... you are losing some emergency separation of appliances. If you lose electrical ability on an all electric rig...batteries usually can not get you out of trouble until repair is able. If you lose electrical power on a mixed RV...batteries can sustain some items ...frig, furnace and hotwater heater....plus stove.
Craig Gosselin
1994 Fleetwood 33H
1995 Fleetwood 30H (parts vehicle)
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #12

All Electric MH

The following are meant to serve as recommending the "all electric" way of life...

Folks with propane heat sometimes complain about looking for more propane every 3 or 4 days in colder weather.......while folks with diesel fired aquahot units run much longer on a fill up since they draw from the main coach diesel tank.

Boondockers like to tout the advantages of a gas absorption fridge.....however....

Another observation.... Most absorption fridges are tiny compared to their all-electric residential equivalents.......so if you really wanted to squeeze maximum time without running generator, then you could turn off your residential fridge and just use a 12volt "true compressor" type like the Dometic CF-110AC. It's 3.77 cuft of space and uses 65watts of power.....I've heard some Other brands even use a more efficient "swing compressor" using even less watts.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #13
Originally Posted by gasman405 View Post
I believe the entegra anthem is all electric. You can go thru tunnels with an electric coach.

2014 Entegra Aspire
2010 Honda CR-V
You can drive through tunnels with a propane appliance coach.
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #14
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
You can drive through tunnels with a propane appliance coach.
Not the ones specifically marked NO HAZ MATS. I have to go 15 minutes out of the way every time I need to go through Baltimore.

Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote