Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #1

All Electric versus Propane and Electric

We are looking to trade up from our 2007 Fleetwood Excursion to either the American Coach Revolution or a Winnebago Tour.

The problem we are wrestling with is that the Revolution is an "all electric" coach where as the Tour can be either.

I'm a retired airline pilot and I like "back up systems" which I feel I get with a combo propane and electric coach. I don't like my eggs all in one basket.

I know the move is to residential refrigerators which only have one power option. I like the dual power option even though the refrigerator size is smaller.

I know the move is to "induction cooking" but we also like the propane stove. I love cooking with gas. Never have used induction.

I like the option of either using the heat pump option or propane heat depending on how cold it gets. I also like the aqua heat concept.

I like the extra storage that you get from the all electric option.

I would like to hear from people who have gone with the all electric option to see how they like it.

Really conflicted.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch and Release View Post
We are looking to trade up from our 2007 Fleetwood Excursion to either the American Coach Revolution or a Winnebago Tour. The problem we are wrestling with is that the Revolution is an "all electric" coach where as the Tour can be either. I'm a retired airline pilot and I like "back up systems" which I feel I get with a combo propane and electric coach. I don't like my eggs all in one basket. I know the move is to residential refrigerators which only have one power option. I like the dual power option even though the refrigerator size is smaller. I know the move is to "induction cooking" but we also like the propane stove. I love cooking with gas. Never have used induction. I like the option of either using the heat pump option or propane heat depending on how cold it gets. I also like the aqua heat concept. I like the extra storage that you get from the all electric option. I would like to hear from people who have gone with the all electric option to see how they like it. Really conflicted.
We are on our 7th year full time. Our coach began life with an RV evaporative refrigerator and a gas cooktop. We also have AquaHot and the A/C's are heat pumps. 2 years ago we replaced the frig with a residential and this winter we bought a two burner induction cooktop. The last time we filled up the LP was in August 2010.

1. We love our AquaHot & would not voluntarily give it up.
2. We love our residential frig and would not go back.
3. The induction cooktop is instant just like gas and will boil water quicker than gas.

We don't own an American Coach or Winnie. I tend to favor Winnie. They are well engineered and seem to be good bang for the buck.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #3

It has more to do with how you use your coach.

Us, we're always hooked to a pedestal so it was a great move for us. As for options, I can always add power. The larger inverter, then turn on the genny.

No more shutting off the pilot lights when refueling, or starting the genny to microwave supper.

Don't have to get propane, still have unlimited hot water on all electric.

We've have not found a down side, what so ever.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we do not have an all electric coach but do have a residential refrigerator. I would not even consider going back to a gas/electric refrigerator. They have more space, Cool down a lot faster are safer etc.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
"I'm a retired airline pilot and I like "back up systems"

Well, I am a current pilot and I like backup systems also, however:
In an RV there is a huge difference in that if something goes wrong, we can get out and walk!

I do not worry about the dual operation of the refer, I'd go with a residential anytime based on the amount of fires caused. (My friends lost a coach due to a refer fire)

The cook top is a non issue. If it doesn't work, go out for dinner.

We do have the "hydro hot/aqua hot " system and find it superior to the propane furnace. I would not rely on heat pumps alone as when the temps go below 40 the output diminishes.

The water heater (notice I didn't say "hot water heater") is a no big deal either.
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Your heat and hot water can be supplied with either diesel or electric, assuming at least moderate temperatures (when it gets really cold, you'll need the diesel). The electricity can be supplied by shore power, batteries (that Revolution will have a bank of 8 house batteries and two converters) or the generator. I'm thinking that constitutes redundancy.

Now, the other side of the coin.

I no longer have to look for LP fill stations that will accommodate my motorhome. I no longer have to worry about running out of LP at the least opportune times, or within a few days if caught in a really cold snap. (My wife hard boiled some eggs for a neighbor yesterday, they ran out of LP and currently have no stove or oven).

The diesel fired boiler (heat and hot water) uses so little I could easily sit for six to nine months, possibly up to a year without running low. The residential fridge is so much more efficient than the dual powered LP/electric RV fridge. The generator is also surprisingly efficient, it will use approximately .5 gallons per hour if using it to run the A/C.

We don't "boondock" often, but when we do I'll just set the generator control at "auto" and it will only run to top off the batteries when needed, or to run the A/C when it wants to cycle on.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #7

Our thoughts follow Steve and Jays above. If we buy a new coach in the future it will be all electric. The rear radiator on the Winnebago would be a deal breaker for us. I installed a res fridge in our coach.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #8

As a retired safety director I agree that backup to the backup is a great idea. I have a res refer, aqua hot, 110 V Ired space heater. I have a large LP tank and it is still full after 3 years wastes a lot of basement space and is used for the outside grill for steaks or brats once in a while. She cooks with george forman, or smaller griddle most of the time. I use elect coffee pot and micro convection if I want to eat and she is not home.

The aqua hot will keep it toasty down to about 30 degrees and I am ready to move if it ever gets that darn cold. Aqua hot makes hot and you can use shower, or floor heat anytime you have been driving or on elect or you can turn on deisel if you really want a lot of hot water. I use the cube to heat bedroom at nite and it is cheap and quiet with constant temp. D
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #9

Thanks for all the responses. Good info for us to think about. Is Aqua heat quieter than the propane heaters? Hard to watch tv when the heaters come on. Constantly adjusting the volume.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The AH is not only quieter, it distributes heat more evenly and, when going down the road, it heats the coach from engine heat...so it's free, you don't have to burn any diesel.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:48 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
The AH is not only quieter, it distributes heat more evenly and, when going down the road, it heats the coach from engine heat...so it's free, you don't have to burn any diesel.
The model used in the Revolution does not have the engine loop; I.E., no "free" heat.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #12

We would never want to go back to noisy furnaces. The aqua hot is so much better all around. We have the engine loop which is nice.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
So I am weighing out the pros and cons for my type of useage. My initial reaction was, there's no way I would have a coach w/o LP, but now I am not so sure. I often dry camp for days in hot weather, where the AC (s) have to remain running 24/7, so the generator has to run anyway. Obviously this type of dry camping would not be a problem for AE. I have camped a few times where no air cond was required but I found I still needed to run the genny to charge batteries daily.

It seems like the cooktop, oven / microwave, and maybe the fridge are the only disadvantages. Everything else is either equal or has other means such as Aqua Hot, etc. The residential fridge's advantages may outweigh it's disadvantages due to better functionality and significantly lower replacement cost. Also the AE coaches seem to come standard with more battery capacity and more inverter power. Do they also employee the use of LED's or is this something that has to be modified?
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The back-up power for an all-electric coach is the generator, followed by the inverter and a big battery bank. The generator is a easy one, but you have to figure out if the standard battery bank is adequate for whatever additional time period you think you may need back-up power,
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane