Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #1

All Mechanics please report

Pulled my 55 w generac generator last weak because of leaking oil from the bottom.Not to bad pulling it out (2) of us but man taking it apart what a trip had to take this off to get that off to get that off on and on.Well finely got it striped to put a new seal in and saw a small nick in the crank.Don't think the seal was bad I think it was the nick causing the leak.So put the new seal in and back in the coach still have a leak.Any ideas how to fix the crank besides a new crank or a new gen?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #2

You can try a bit of fine aluminum oxide sandpaper on the nick. You might not need to completely sand out the nick. Sometimes just taking the sharp edges off it will work. Make sure you taper your work on the crank. You don't want a channel, just a taper reducing the diameter of the crank. If that doesn't work, I've seen a ring that you can press and seal on the shaft and then use a slightly undersized seal. In my area this type ring can be found at KAMAN INDUSTRIAL TECHNOLOGIES. They deal with bearings and seals. I haven't used this, but it might be worth a try.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might clean out the nick with Laquer thinner, then put a dab of JB Weld in the nick and dress it down carefully as to not ding up the crank sealing surface.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WE RV 2
Pulled my 55 w generac generator last weak because of leaking oil from the bottom.Not to bad pulling it out (2) of us but man taking it apart what a trip had to take this off to get that off to get that off on and on.Well finely got it striped to put a new seal in and saw a small nick in the crank.Don't think the seal was bad I think it was the nick causing the leak.So put the new seal in and back in the coach still have a leak.Any ideas how to fix the crank besides a new crank or a new gen?
Take a look in your area for an automotive machine shop. I would bet they can TIG weld the nick, and then grind the surface to the original spec. This is not an uncommon repair on cranks. Just make sure your nic is not a crack.

Mike
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:06 PM   #5

Have you thought about installing a 'speedy sleeve'? I have used them many times as a quick fix.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I second the Speedy Sleeve. I used them several times and they work well. We used the OEM seal with the sleeve. Mounted the sleeve with a bearing mount compound. You will need the exact size with a driver. Not cheap but better than replacing a C/S.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #7

Leaking gen

Thanks on the help, some good ideas.Can you use the speedy sleeve on small cranks like in gens?
Old 11-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #8

I have used 'speedi sleeves' on axle shafts, so yes they make them small enough the the crank shaft in the generator.
The local bearing warehouse here has lots of different size sleeves.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #9

If you can find one, speedy sleeve. Ask yourself how did the nick get there in the first place? I have found most crank seal leaks are caused by a worn crank seal land. You might find a new crank for your gen for less than gen manuf wants as they get the engines from a second party. Maybe Perkins, brigs and straten, onen or others. A little research may get you what you need for less!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #10

Now this will be ugly.
Pull the seal back out, put a lite film of grease on the crank area, put a small bead of High Temp Permatex silicone down in the cavity where the seal goes, then drive the seal back in & squish the silicone every where & let sit a day or two for the silicone to cure out.
The silicone make for a wider seal lip & you've probably cured the oil leak.
Be sure to check, that nothing is blocking the crankcase vent of that engine, because if it is, once the engines running & hot pressure will build & blow oil out anywhere it can pass a gasket or seal.
Neil
Old 11-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As an old engine rebuilder, I suggest that you find the place near you that supplies speedy sleeves. Possibly a local engine machine shop would be the best, because they understand engines, and they know how to properly install the speedy sleeve.

Speedy sleeves are an OEM recommended repair. During any engine overhaul, a worn seal run area always meant installing a speedy sleeve. It was regarded as a superior wear surface as compared to the original crankshaft, because the speedy sleeve is made of stainless steel.

I have installed hundreds of speedy sleeves, with absolutely 100% success.

Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote