Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
All on head lights

Wiring diagram for 06 Winnebago with Freightliner chassis. Looking to change headlights so both high and low beam lights come on together. Has this been done.

Winnebago Tour 2006
ramwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Might be kinda tough on oncoming rigs at night.

Bob Retired Army Traveling alone now.
2008 Camelot 40 PDQ 4 slides ISL400 towing a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quadcab
Western MT in summer, AZ, NV in winter
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis

Welcome to the list.

I guess the real question would be, "Why do you want to do this?" I wonder if the wiring could take the additional current/heat?
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
It can be done but you will have to add a relay at each headlight so when you turn on the high beams it engerizes the relay to also turn on the low beams. This is quite a popular thing for pickup owners. Did it to my 2003 F350.
It does add a lot of light on high beams.
Traveler52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club

Try this link for some ideas. I did this to my old 93 chevy work truck and makes a big difference.

John & Kathy & Gizmo (Maltipoo)
1999 38ft Monaco Diplomat DP
Jocat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
its probably very easy
in the fords its a matter of reestablishing a GROUND connection on the realy, takes about 10 minutes
so if you search the wiring diagrams i bet its a similar thing to do, turning off the ground is a widely used way to control items and reduce surges

my freight shaker has weird lighting to begin with... i have two sets of fogs and if you pull the dash knob it kills one set????
USN Retired, Life time member of the DAV.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, no your eyes are fine, there are 6 slides
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
all on head lights

I did it to my GMC 2004 by putting a diode between the high and low beam relay. Making all four lights come on, it sure makes night driveing a pleasure. So was trying to find out if somebody else had done it. I have a o6 Winnnebago Tour.
Winnebago Tour 2006
Old 07-24-2009, 06:42 AM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
What am I missing? Four is better than two,but when you read the product information they say to "upgrade headlight bulb". Would this upgrade be enough to get the extra light or is having both on at the same that much more brighter.
I know how bright it is when someone comes up behind me with highs on, what will it be like with the new system.
Remember just because someone has something, doesn't mean they know how to use it.
2005 KSDP 3910-----2007 Jeep Liberty

read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #9
I understand the need for better headlights on MHs, and I have done two things to help on my DP. I have installed Silver Star light and carefully aimed my lights. The former helps a little but the former helped a lot. My lights are still not quite as good as my car's but they are acceptable. When I turn on the highbeams my ligh is quite good. The problem of course is that the high beams can't be used for oncoming traffic. In the meantime I try to do my driving during the daylight.
Jim Walker
N Virginia
2014 Palazzo 33.2
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 05:09 AM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Why not just use driving lights - after seeing if your lights are aimed correctly? The Silver Star upgrade is within legal limits also.
2004 Itasca Sunrise 36', Workhorse
2003 Suzuki XL7
Dsouthw524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:24 AM   #11
Lighting up the road all around, better able to see up close or better field of vision. Helps to check the road ditch better. The better of both worlds area the low beam covers and highbeam at the sametime without adding all kinds of other lights without burning or letting out the smoke out.
Winnebago Tour 2006
Old 07-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
My Dolphin has GM truck units with separate low and high beam lights. On high beam, the light was good out far but I could not see anything close. I installed a 30 amp rated relay and relay holder (available on line for under $10). I spliced into a high beam lead and ran a signal wire to the relay activator lead, ran a fused heavy lead from a +12V post under the hood to the +12 and power leads on the relay and grounded the relay to chassis. The switched relay output is tied into one of the low beam leads (both low bulbs are tied together from a common lead). Low beam - 2 are lit. High beam - all four are lit. No problems so far and 100% better night vision. Here's the proof (along with DRL's that finally work after some rewiring to their relay).
'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis, 6.0L V8
Last RV, 2005 NRV Dolphin 5342 (2007-2014)
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:58 AM   #13
Originally Posted by ramwheel View Post
Wiring diagram for 06 Winnebago with Freightliner chassis. Looking to change headlights so both high and low beam lights come on together. Has this been done.
If you are talking about wiring the rig so the high beams come on with the low beams and can't be dimmed then this is unlawfull in many areas and should not be done. It can get you ticketed if caught.

Last time I was traveling with the high beams on a cruiser just happened to be pulling on the ramp to my right and I did not dim them fast enough. He pulled me over but let me off with a warning not to drive with my high beams on when sharing the road with other vehicles.

The high beams are not for use when there are other vehicles sharing the road with you, that is why they are switched seperately and really should stay that way.

If you want your low beams to stay during the moments you turn on your high beams that is different. My rig has the old style quads and works that way anyhow while on yours you may be better off installing a relay with a dedicated circuit and some seperate driving lights as the newer style lamp housings or wiring may not be able to take the load of having both bulbs running at the same time.

The upgrade to Silverstars some have mentioned is nice however the Wagner equivalents cost less at my local BumperToBumper store and have a longer lamp life in my application which is a win-win situation for me.
Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
NeilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is another win to having all four come on with high beams.

I was driving my Suburban to the mountains for a ski trip in a light snow storm at night. On I-80, it was all low beam because of the traffic. As soon as I turned off of I-80, I had an empty road and turned on my high beams and got total darkness. The snow had covered my high beams. Had I had all four on, the heat from the highs would have melted the snow and there would have been light.

I had to pull off the road and go to work with my ice scraper.

This isn't too likely to happen in a motor home but thought that I would mention it.

2001 Winnebago Adventurer, 35U, W-20 8.1
F+R Trac bars, F+R sway bars, SafTsteer, F Sumo Springs, 4 Koni FSDs
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote