Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2015, 09:35 AM   #1

All set for what?

Getting ready to buy motor coach. First one. Able to stay out months at a time.
40footer diesel is in forefront. Nice interior with 2 slide outs. Marlin .
Is this to large to explore and camp in nooks and crannies along both seaboards. Big is good when parked but can I do side roads etc on the road. Thank you in advance. All opinions welcomed. Don't want to debate quality of one over the other.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I guess it depends on what "nooks and crannies" and "side roads" you choose. We take our 40 footer a lot of smaller places and use two lane roads, but there is no denying that some of them feel a lot more cramped than when we had a 36 footer. Or that our selection of sites is somewhat reduced.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Good luck
Old 03-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #4
JSW

I would not buy anything shorter. We've traveled over 45,000 miles over the past few years in a 35' DP. It has served us well but we really long for more room, more storage, and more comfort. Many who buy shorter at first wind up trading up I know we're ready to move to a 40-footer.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #5

Small class A

We have had many trailers, the last two were a 34 ft Alpenlite 5er, and a 28 ft Blackstone bumper tow. Last month, we purchased a 25.5 ft Itasca Reyo T. While it might be tight for full-timers, it seems to work well for the two of us on short trips. Next month we will do a 6-week trip. The Mercedes Diesel so far is running at 15.1 mpg on coastal highways in Oregon, and very nice to drive. We can park in nearly any parking lot or side street space. And, unlike our last two tow trailers, I can get out of a small parking lot that I entered by mistake.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #6

Gary, Could you please expound when you say inconvenient to be turned away because of size. Look through the stupidity of statement . Does one look for closest motel or pull into a field and set up for the night. etc.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi iamgreg,
This is my personal preference. I do not travel on back roads with the coach and the toad in tow unless I am going to a CG. The coach is to get me from CG "A" to CG "B" on interstate highways. I then stay for several days, weeks or months depending on the area and what I'm interested in seeing. The toad does all the back road travel.

For me, there are too many trees, guard rails and other protrusions that come too close to the back road that all of a sudden went from one lane each way to a lane and 1/2 or a one lane bridge with a hard turn at each end.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:27 PM   #8

We took a Marlin for a test drive in Utah about 15 years ago. DW was sitting in the couch behind the driver, and on the first RH turn, the whole slide moved out on top. Salesman had not put the top braces in the slide. DW got out of the couch, and couldn't wait to get back out of the Marlin. Isn't there a better quality coach within your price range?
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #9

I don't know any of the quality motor homes. Looking around $45-60 k and see if we like the life style. friend from marina selling because of spouse death. He was meticulous with it. I am not committed to this coach. Like the length and floor plan. Will probably rent car upon arrival at cg
Old 03-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #10

You may want to do some research on the web. RVT.com, RVOnline.com, and RV Trader.com are a few. You can put in your price range--although keep in mind asking prices are often highly negotiable. Some high quality diesel pusher include Country Coaches, Monacos, Safaris, Beavers, Holiday Ramblers, and Newmars.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgreg View Post
I don't know any of the quality motor homes. Looking around $45-60 k and see if we like the life style. friend from marina selling because of spouse death. He was meticulous with it. I am not committed to this coach. Like the length and floor plan. Will probably rent car upon arrival at cg
U would not worry about the comment about the slide opening at the top, that could probably happen with any number of coaches. we have all had trouble with our MH's at one time or another.
We like to travel the interstates and wider main roads ourselves to get from one campsite to another or from home to CS then back home. I too do not want to get caught with low bridges or crazy roads that a person might side swipe a sign or some other objects. In my opinion, 40' is a good size for full timing or just vacationing.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by camato5 View Post
U would not worry about the comment about the slide opening at the top, that could probably happen with any number of coaches. we have all had trouble with our MH's at one time or another.
The one we drove was a brand new motorhome, so it was not a trouble, it was a serious design flaw. Any slide that requires a manual installation of braces when they are in, I would run away from.