Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2014, 06:50 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lightbulb Allegro or Coachmen?

We are looking to upgrade out 1998 Tiffin Allegro and have found 2 different coaches that have caught our attention. They are really close in price and one is about 30 minutes away and the other about an hour so that's no issue. The 2 we are looking at are a 2000 Tiffin Allegro Bay with upgrades inside and a V10 with a Banks system installed on a F53 frame. The other is a 2000 Coachmen Catalina diesel pusher on a Freight liner chassis. At this time I haven't seen either in person, just pictures and talked to the dealers some. If anyone has an opinion on this please help me out, thanks in advanced!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2014, 04:18 AM   #2

Um... you really need to go see both to get a good understanding of the "differences" between each unit and the manufacturers construction. Pay CLOSE attention to fit and finish on the interior construction of the walls, cabinets, ceiling and floors. Also note the outside wall construction and look for delamination of the exterior skin. I don't think i've ever seen a Coachmen unit of that era that was not delaminated in numerous places. Unfortunately, Coachmen's of that era have long been considered by many to be the "bottom of the barrel" amongst manufacturers - they are afterall an entry level quality unit, even though they may trimmed up to have some glitz and glamor in certain places to make them appear to be of a much higher quality. My personal opinion is to avoid Coachmen at all costs regardless of the deal.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:24 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Um... you really need to go see both to get a good understanding of the "differences" between each unit and the manufacturers construction. Pay CLOSE attention to fit and finish on the interior construction of the walls, cabinets, ceiling and floors. Also note the outside wall construction and look for delamination of the exterior skin. I don't think i've ever seen a Coachmen unit of that era that was not delaminated in numerous places. Unfortunately, Coachmen's of that era have long been considered by many to be the "bottom of the barrel" amongst manufacturers - they are afterall an entry level quality unit, even though they may trimmed up to have some glitz and glamor in certain places to make them appear to be of a much higher quality. My personal opinion is to avoid Coachmen at all costs regardless of the deal.
X2 on that. The new ones aren't much better.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thumbs down No sale

Thats the experience I was looking for...and I did go look today, and walked away because it wasn't good. Delam on cargo doors, looked like water stains from leaks, coach had gotten a little close to something on the drivers side and damaged a cargo door and cracked the side fiberglass a little. Windshield was cracked pretty badly. Simply bad....but the sales guy at Camping World kept telling me what a good deal it was, at least I got to giggle at him while walking around it.

Tags
coachmen