RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2018, 11:39 AM   #1

Allegro or Miramar? Anyone with an opinion?

Hi everyone:
I am new here to iRV2 and have been learning a lot. I currently own a KZ spree escape and love it! However the time has come to upgrade, parents are getting older and I need to make them comfortable. (personal tid bit with little importance ) The Miramar has everything that I am looking for, floor plan and towing capacity and all around style. The Allegro is has the tiffin reputation behind it. I would have to compromise on both floor plan and power. (which I don't really understand cause they both have the same Ford V-10 engine. ) I have read a few costumer reviews on the Miramar and found 5, 4 of which are very bad. On another RV forum I have read a few favorable things from thor customer service vs Tiffin. I guess what I am asking is, does anyone have any experience with the Miramar? good or bad? I really do not want to settle for a floor plan that is going to hard on my family. Comments?
Thank you ahead of time. I look forward to all of the knowledge you are all willing to share.
Brenda

Brenda O is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #2

Not sure about your statement on the power, they both have the same Ford chassis and will have the same power. Unless you are looking used, Ford re-rated the motor at a different RPM a few years ago so it looks to have less power but the motor is actually the same. Also, if buying used, the six speed was introduced in 2016 and IMO well worth trying to get over the prior five speed.

Other than that, I would go with Tiffin or Newmar, which you didn't mention.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #3

Tiffin

I bought a new Tiffin, based on what I perceived as favorable quality, and owner satisfaction. I was very disappointed in the quality of the coach and even more disappointed in my dealings with Tiffin.

Good luck
cdougbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:41 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
34PA is OK!

Brenda; We own an Allegro 34PA gasser. 4 slides and full time . We have been happy with the coach and Tiffin service. I known there seems to be some issues with the new units . So not sure if you are looking new or used .
Old 09-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
In the sub-million dollar coach world the top brands are Newmar, Entegra and Tiffin. I would put Winnebago next followed by Fleetwood (REV Group brands), Forest River with Thor bringing up the rear.

Not everyone would totally agree about the order but I think public perception of Thor would put it at the bottom for the majority of RVers.

I know there are satisfied Thor owners that would say the bad rep is undeserved. But speaking brand-wise in general Tiffin would win out over Thor.

Floor plan is very important so don’t buy a coach that doesn’t work for you. But... I’d suggest you do a lot more looking. Fleetwood, Winnebago, and Newmar should be added to your search for a gas Class A.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO34PA View Post
Brenda; We own an Allegro 34PA gasser. 4 slides and full time . We have been happy with the coach and Tiffin service. I known there seems to be some issues with the new units . So not sure if you are looking new or used .
I am looking at the new models. I would like to break it in myself. issues and all. I really like the Miramar but am concerned with all of the QC issues I have heard about.
Thanks for your opinion.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdougbell View Post
I bought a new Tiffin, based on what I perceived as favorable quality, and owner satisfaction. I was very disappointed in the quality of the coach and even more disappointed in my dealings with Tiffin.

Good luck
I am guessing it is going to be a risk with whichever I choose. I have done a bit of research and am now finding that the Thor company has better costumer service and is more willing to make repairs that I thought. It seems that the dealers are the ones that are unwilling to "do the right thing"
Thanks for your thoughts
Old 09-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
In the sub-million dollar coach world the top brands are Newmar, Entegra and Tiffin. I would put Winnebago next followed by Fleetwood (REV Group brands), Forest River with Thor bringing up the rear.

Not everyone would totally agree about the order but I think public perception of Thor would put it at the bottom for the majority of RVers.

I know there are satisfied Thor owners that would say the bad rep is undeserved. But speaking brand-wise in general Tiffin would win out over Thor.

Floor plan is very important so donít buy a coach that doesnít work for you. But... Iíd suggest you do a lot more looking. Fleetwood, Winnebago, and Newmar should be added to your search for a gas Class A.
creativepart thank you

I have seen the others that you mentioned. Winnie is another option, however it still does not have the floor plan with 2 full bathrooms and bunks. I am truly in love with the Miramar but and also really concern with the QC. If Tiffin had an exact floor plan that the Miramar has I would not be here asking for opinions ...lol
btw. my parents have a class C Minnie Winnie and to be honest the finish on it was disappointing and Winnie has not been very willing to help with some of the damage caused by leaks. (because of bad seals and loose fittings)
I would also love to be able to spend $200K but I can not make it that far. I am in the 130 area.
again thank you for your thoughts
Old 09-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Hate to break your bubble but Thor owns Entegra which was part of the acquisition of Jayco.

Back to the OP's question, one thing to compare is weight limit of the chassis each manufacture uses. I was comparing a Tiffin Allegro 34PA to a Fleetwood Southwind 36P. Nearly identical floor plans but the show stopper was the chassis. Both are naturally Fords, only game in town these days, but the Allegro is built on a 26,000 lbs. GVWR chassis while the Southwind is on the lighter 24,000 lbs chassis. In general terms I can pack in 3,609 lbs of stuff in the Allegro while the Southwind only has room for 1591 lbs. Both top out at 30,000 lbs when including a tow so the Southwind as some extra weight related to the towing but 1591 on the axles can be a bit limiting for some users.

You'll find the same when comparing an Allegro 36UA to a Miramar 37.1 but I don't have the build weights of those two models. Going lighter saves a few thousand in costs for the chassis but if a potential buyer doesn't catch it and understand the limits there could have problems later being overloaded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180915_140832.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	219426   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180915_132729.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	219427  

Old 09-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Hate to break your bubble but Thor owns Entegra which was part of the acquisition of Jayco.
I know this full well. Thor is treating Entegra like they do Airstream. At least at present. Theyíre building Entegra RVs in a separate factory. And letting the company build as they did before the Jayco buyout.

This may change in the future and there is a new Class A sold as a Jayco and as an Entegra, not to mention new Jayco Class Cs with Entegra branding. But most Entegra owners are cautiously optimistic that the core Entegra models are still right up there with Newmar quality.

The jury is still out on this, however.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:34 PM   #11

Quote:

Floor plan is very important so donít buy a coach that doesnít work for you. But... Iíd suggest you do a lot more looking. Fleetwood, Winnebago, and Newmar should be added to your search for a gas Class A.
This is a good summary, in my opinion. Hopefully Entegra will not be damaged too much by the Thor take over but I would not bet on it.
Dave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post

Back to the OP's question, one thing to compare is weight limit of the chassis each manufacture uses. I was comparing a Tiffin Allegro 34PA to a Fleetwood Southwind 36P. Nearly identical floor plans but the show stopper was the chassis. Both are naturally Fords, only game in town these days, but the Allegro is built on a 26,000 lbs. GVWR chassis while the Southwind is on the lighter 24,000 lbs chassis. In general terms I can pack in 3,609 lbs of stuff in the Allegro while the Southwind only has room for 1591 lbs. Both top out at 30,000 lbs when including a tow so the Southwind as some extra weight related to the towing but 1591 on the axles can be a bit limiting for some users.

You'll find the same when comparing an Allegro 36UA to a Miramar 37.1 but I don't have the build weights of those two models. Going lighter saves a few thousand in costs for the chassis but if a potential buyer doesn't catch it and understand the limits there could have problems later being overloaded.
Sweetbriar:
these are the exact two MH I am looking at. Thank you for the clarification on the chassis that may very well be the difference I will look it up. and may, in the end be the deal breaker for the Tiffin. What I mean is that I will be pulling a Jeep Wrangler that weighs in the area of 6500 lbs. and will be pulling it on a 1500 lb flat bed or a 3000 lb closed trailer. I would love to have my baby in a closed trailer but am not really sure if the Miramar can do it.
As for the other companies that Thor owns or partly owns there is a rumor that when Old man Tiffin retires that family will sell and the only other company big enough to buy will be Thor. Just a thought.
Thank you for the great points. You have given me more ammo for my research.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda O View Post

Sweetbriar:
these are the exact two MH I am looking at. Thank you for the clarification on the chassis that may very well be the difference I will look it up. and may, in the end be the deal breaker for the Tiffin. What I mean is that I will be pulling a Jeep Wrangler that weighs in the area of 6500 lbs. and will be pulling it on a 1500 lb flat bed or a 3000 lb closed trailer. I would love to have my baby in a closed trailer but am not really sure if the Miramar can do it.
As for the other companies that Thor owns or partly owns there is a rumor that when Old man Tiffin retires that family will sell and the only other company big enough to buy will be Thor. Just a thought.
Curb weight for a 2018 Jeep Wrangler is 3,900, to 4,400 lbs. My little 31 ft Thor MC can still tow 5,000 lbs when the chassis is maxed to 18,000 lbs (2,460 lbs usable cargo carrying capacity).
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda O View Post

Sweetbriar:
these are the exact two MH I am looking at. Thank you for the clarification on the chassis that may very well be the difference I will look it up. and
may, in the end be the deal breaker for the Tiffin. What I mean is that I will be pulling a Jeep Wrangler that weighs in the area of 6500 lbs. and will be pulling it on a 1500 lb flat bed or a 3000 lb closed trailer. I would love to have my baby in a closed trailer but am not really sure if the Miramar can do it.
Based on your weights of what you want to tow, you are going to be hard pressed to find a gasser that can tow that much weight.

We have a 2019 Miramar 37.1 and we like it a lot. It has an 8,000 lb hitch on it but I don't think I have that much available weight (never figured it out). We flat tow a CRV so no issues there. We have some issues to be fixed, mostly cosmetic and in my opinion, were done at the dealer. Thor has been very good to deal with and has approved everything that was on my list to fix.

Thor is the largest coach manufacturer so just by sheer numbers, will have the most complaints. I think the RV industry as a whole suffers from a lack of quality with the quantity of units they are trying to pump out.

Good luck in your search. For us, floorplan trumped all as I didn't want to buy another MH in a year because we didn't buy what we really wanted.

funmoneypit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro