Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2015, 06:48 PM   #1

Alliance Starting Batteries

My '07 Allegro Bus on a Freightliner chassis came with two (2) starting
batteries made by Alliance. After eight (8) years they have died, giving me no advance warning. I feel they served me well...not a single problem
prior to this. My plan is to purchase from Freightliner replacement batteries by Alliance. I was quoted a price today, for the two (2), an
amount of $335.28, including taxes. Unless my mind is changed, I plan to
make the purchase tomorrow. Do any of you have any information to
suggest that today's Alliance starting batteries are not at least equal to
those installed in my '07 Bus? I'd appreciate your quick responses, yea
or nay. Thanks!
hugh37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh37 View Post
My '07 Allegro Bus on a Freightliner chassis came with two (2) starting
batteries made by Alliance. After eight (8) years they have died, giving me no advance warning. I feel they served me well...not a single problem
prior to this. My plan is to purchase from Freightliner replacement batteries by Alliance. I was quoted a price today, for the two (2), an
amount of $335.28, including taxes. Unless my mind is changed, I plan to
make the purchase tomorrow. Do any of you have any information to
suggest that today's Alliance starting batteries are not at least equal to
those installed in my '07 Bus? I'd appreciate your quick responses, yea
or nay. Thanks!
There are numerous sources for batteries. Assuming they are the same CCA as the OEM batteries, I don't think the price is out of line.
However, there are many other suppliers of batteries. If you know what Group Number your batteries are, you can search for the highest rating in that group and make your decision from there. (Cold Cranking Amps) is an industry standard rating for Starting Batteries.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:08 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A few years ago I had to replace our Spartan chassis starting batteries after almost 10 years. Ended up getting them from Pacific Diesel and they were 1000 CCA rather than 950. Cost was about $165 + tax for each, so your price is about right.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I shopped around when I replaced mine. O'Reilly Auto Parts came through with the best price for 1000 CCA batteries at the time. Don't overlook Batteries +. Their GP 31 truck batteries used to be made by Deka, not sure who is supplying them these days.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:40 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Alliance is the battery that all the trucks uses. I replaced my old one's with the same. A good battery that is reliable. My opinion and My opinion only...........
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:37 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I had a Freightliner Semi, and I used the Alliance brand battery's and had very good service out of them! Call around to all the truck dealers in the area, and the part's houses too and price shop. A lot of times one will have a sale going on, and you can save a lot! Freightliner also has them on sale from time to time! Battery's are like a lot of things, only 3 or 4 manufactures in the country that makes all of the battery's you see for sale!
Jmho! Rail!
Old 02-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Alliance is simply Freightliner's house brand name - they buy their batteries from one of the major battery manufacturers, e.g. East Penn or Johnson Controls. The battery labeled Alliance that you buy today may come from a different factory than the one of 2007, but it should be every bit as good a battery. Just make sure you get the same CCA rating (battery capacity), or very nearly the same. Most diesel coaches use a pair of 950 or 1000 CCA batteries for starting.

The suggestions for alternate brands made by others are all good ones. O'Reilly's has some excellent prices on 950-1000 CCA batteries, so does Sam's Club and Costco. They all sell private labels brands from major battery manufacturers.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Alliance is simply Freightliner's house brand name - they buy their batteries from one of the major battery manufacturers, e.g. East Penn or Johnson Controls. The battery labeled Alliance that you buy today may come from a different factory than the one of 2007, but it should be every bit as good a battery. Just make sure you get the same CCA rating (battery capacity), or very nearly the same. Most diesel coaches use a pair of 950 or 1000 CCA batteries for starting.

The suggestions for alternate brands made by others are all good ones. O'Reilly's has some excellent prices on 950-1000 CCA batteries, so does Sam's Club and Costco. They all sell private labels brands from major battery manufacturers.
X-2
Excide is another manufacture in Bristol,Tenn., and another in Covington, Ga. I was also told that if you are in hot climates all the time, that the lower cca would be better, but I always ran the 1000cca in my semi, 4 of them! In the trucking, if I got 3 to 4 years out of them, I was very happy! But that equates to around 350,000 miles, and a bunch of starts and I also used them as my house battery's too! Buy them from someone that is nationwide, so they can adjust them if they do not last! All of the places above are good! Rail!
Old 02-13-2015, 06:57 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I was also told that if you are in hot climates all the time, that the lower cca would be better,
It's not "better", it's just more acceptable and a lower cranking amp rating may save you some money when purchasing.

CCA is Cold Crank Amps and refers to the ability to deliver power at temperatures below 0 F. Obviously you don't need that in warmer climates. If the weather doesn't go below freezing, you can use MCA (Marine Cranking Amps), which is rated at 32 F. The MCA rating is often 20-25% higher than the CCA, so you can get 1000 amps in a smaller, less expensive package.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
You might check for sales. Last month I replaced my two chassis batteries. Went over the Dry Pond Freightliner just north of Atlanta on I-85. Was going to replace original size (1000 cranking amps at something over $150) Parts guy said he had a sale on the 950 CA for $85. Same physical size and warranty. I asked would it crank the coach as well. He said it would. Saved a pile of money and when installed these batteries spun that 425 Cummins like it was a new engine.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
I would go with AGM batteries, zero maintenance and
no corrosion issues in the compartment. Yeah, I know,
they cost more, you will be in the $ 220- $245 range
for each. Well worth the money, IMHO
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:00 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I personally don't think AGM is a worthwhile expense for a cranking battery, but I do use them for house batteries.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #13

Rush Peterbilt has your batteries on sale this month for $75. They have locations all over the west and south
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
You might check for sales. Last month I replaced my two chassis batteries. Went over the Dry Pond Freightliner just north of Atlanta on I-85. Was going to replace original size (1000 cranking amps at something over $150) Parts guy said he had a sale on the 950 CA for $85. Same physical size and warranty. I asked would it crank the coach as well. He said it would. Saved a pile of money and when installed these batteries spun that 425 Cummins like it was a new engine.
I'm with DOC,
I walked into my local Cummins dealer looking for a part. Now this is the LAST place I'd expect to find a good deal but right their out front where LARGE CAT starting batteries on sale for about $85/battery! Immediatly grabbed two!

Pays to shop around!
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries