Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #1

Allison 3000 wiring issue

I have a 97 eagle and running into transmission issues. *It started over a week ago when I was driving from a campsite to the storage lot. *20 min before I reached my destination I stopped to fill up the propane and to that point I didnt notice any issues. *Actually thought it's running well which was the kiss of death. *I started into the remainder of my 80 mile trip about 2 miles into it noticed the transmission wasn't shifting property and my speedometer was fluctuating. *By the time I reached the storage lot the transmission was going in and out of safe mode. *After parking I looked at the code which was 2216 output speed sensor. *I called the local allison shop and they recommend switching the speed sensor with the engine sensor. *I did and drove it about 100 ft the transmission went into safe mode with code 2214 engine sensor. *I shut off and started the engine which reset the computer so i could get into reverse and back into my spot. * I then decided to replaced both sensors just to be safe.*

After replacing the sensors i drove it out of the lot and the transmission went into safe mode again with the code 2216 speed sensor. *At a complete loss I cut the wire before the transmission computer and after the sensor connection replacing with new. Test drove 10 miles with no error code. * Backing into my spot I noticed my backup lights were out. *Verified the light bulb was good but no power to it when engine started and transmission in reverse. * Next I followed the plastic harness from the computer in the battery compartment to the transmission feeling the plastic the entire way and didn't see or feel any defects thinking that had to cause both issues but nothing visible.

First does anyone have any suggestion how to troubleshoot the backup lights. *Any procedure that will let me test without running the engine and putting in reverse to turn on the reverse lights. *I should have added I turned on my headlights not sure that makes a difference.*

Even though my first and important problem seems solved with the speed sensor I would like to find the bad wire to make sure I do not have a bigger issue. *Anyone have a suggestion where to look. *The only other thing is I was having alternator issues which was replaced the same time as the sensors. *It was fluctuating between 12 and 14 volts. *Not sure that would make a wire go bad.

Sorry for the long post but now I am at a complete loss on where to go from here. *I am going on a 80 mile trip this weekend and a 1000 mile trip in 2 weeks. * Don't need tranny problems on the way. *Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Mike*

97 eagle

Toad 14 wrangler*

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Look at your TPS -- (Throttle Position Sensor )

NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 05:52 AM   #3

Its a mechanical diesel with a cable back to the engine from the foot peddle. Is there another sensor I should look at. I am at a loss.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:05 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
If your still having Shifting issues- yes there is a TPS cable attached to your Throttle cable bracket. Mine- (All Mechanical) has the same TPS as yours.The TPS needs to be calibrated by an Allison Tech.
Back-Up Lights-- Other than calling AC-(American Coach) there are a series of Bosch style relays in the rear of your Coach for the Brake Lights-- Stop Lights and Back up Lights. You may want to look for them.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #5

For now my transmission is shifting as expected after I ran new wires to the sensor. My concern is what went wrong in the wiring and if my issue is really fixed. I wish I could find the bad section but the wiring harness has maybe 50 wires all intertwined and i am concerned I could cause more issues by pulling the sensor wire out.

For the backup lights I will call ac to see if they can give me some suggestions. Thanks for the suggestions.

Tags
97 eagle, allison, transmission, wiring