Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #1
rpk

Allison 3060 Oil Level

The fluid indicator starts at -7 and stay there. Level in the dipstick looks ok but is hard to tell for sure. I think my tranny isn't hot enough - the book says 142 degrees minimum... my temp gauge never gets above about 125. I stopped at the Continental Divide on I 90 and hit the two arrows. -7, -6, -5, -5 9 which translates as "engine speed too high".

Anybody have an idea what is going on?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 04:25 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpk View Post
The fluid indicator starts at -7 and stay there. Level in the dipstick looks ok but is hard to tell for sure. I think my tranny isn't hot enough - the book says 142 degrees minimum... my temp gauge never gets above about 125. I stopped at the Continental Divide on I 90 and hit the two arrows. -7, -6, -5, -5 9 which translates as "engine speed too high".

Sounds like you engine thermostat is stuck open, if 125 degrees is right, that is way to cold for that engine to be operating at, to preform properly.
Does the heaters air seem cool when on high?
I would change out the thermostat, and see if the operating temps come up, then see if the Allison key pad works.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:13 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I stopped at the Continental Divide on I 90 and hit the two arrows. -7, -6, -5, -5 9 which translates as "engine speed too high".

Once you hit the two arrows, the numbers you see will count down and then show something like F-L, and then it will either say O-K or tell you if the fluid level is not correct (-1 (qt), etc).
Old 04-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #4

Quote:

You need to get to an authorized transmission dealer right away and get professional advice ... this is a VERY expensive component and you should not gamble with on line advice or your local garage. Find an Allison dealer.

Peter
Old 04-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #5
rpk

Solved! Finally got out of the mountains to warmer weather and the tranny got warm enough to register properly (I guess).

Counted down to "oL oK".
Old 04-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Good deal and great news..........got to love it when there is no trouble!!!!!! Thanks for the update!!!!!! Safe travels to ya!
Old 04-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Solved! Finally got out of the mountains to warmer weather and the tranny got warm enough to register properly (I guess).

Counted down to "oL oK".
good for you. But just in case, I would keep an eye on the temperature just to be sure the thermostat is not sticking open occasionally.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFTH View Post
You need to get to an authorized transmission dealer right away and get professional advice ... this is a VERY expensive component and you should not gamble with on line advice or your local garage. Find an Allison dealer.

Peter
PAP alert!
Old 04-11-2016, 10:31 PM   #9

I think OP reference to 125* was TRANS temp. Failing to get a proper fluid level reading on the trans due to it not being hot enough is a common problem. When the trans is in converter lock-up, it generates very little heat. On many coaches, the trans will always read slightly less than engine coolant temperature, except in stop-and-go traffic, where the converter is constantly "churning".

To raise the trans temp enough to get a fluid level reading, you can always put trans in Drive, hold coach with service brake, and apply a modest amount of throttle. The trans temp will rise 20* in less than a minute. For those teetering on the verge of a PAP post, the "Full Throttle Test" is in the Allision service manual. No chance of doing any harm unless you give major throttle for a sustained period.

Tags
allison