Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

Allison MD3060 won't shift out of first

Hello all, I have a 2000 Monaco Diplomat with the MD3060 transmission. Just replaced the starter and now starts fine but when in drive it wont shift out of first or go into neutral or reverse. I stop and turn it off, it starts right up and the shift indicator shows N and it will now go into forward or reverse no problem. However, when I go the indicator goes from 6 to 1 and stays there no matter what I do. Also, while this is happening the speedometer doesn't work and stays at 0. Previous owner mentioned a bad connection on a sensor (I think) on the bottom of the transmission in line with the trans oil line for cooling appears there might be a valve in there I don't know. He had drove a small screw in the top because he broke it off I have driven it this way for about 15,000 mile without issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #2

It sounds like the previous owner has experience with this problem and is pointing you in the right direction. If a locking tab on a connector was broken and "repaired" with a screw, maybe the connector got dislodged when you changed out the starter.
I would look for the output speed sensor since you say the speedometer doesn't work. I don't recall the location but I would assume it would be near the driveshaft end of the transmission.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060

GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:56 PM   #3

Thank you GA Navigator, I cleaned the contact really well and took the screw out and put it back in. This sensor is located right by the drive shaft but I don't know what it does. I am going to replace it regardless but don't know if it is the gremlin. Where would be a good place to purchase the sensor. Thanks, John
Old 03-14-2016, 04:10 AM   #4

You will have to get it from an Allison dealer/shop. Check the Allison website for a dealer near you.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #5

Just a thought but check the shifter block on the side of the Trans. We has a rockwood that wouldn't shift and found that the mud wasps had built nests in the open air ports on the shifter block and wouldn't shift right. Cleared all the debris and shifted great afterwards.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #6

just went under and checked the shifter blocks, (I think) but the transmission looks clean all over. Thanks, for your input.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:42 PM   #7

Have you tried to get codes out of the trans controller .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Allison trans codes.pdf (425.7 KB, 65 views)
Old 03-15-2016, 10:51 PM   #8

Yes, did that today. d1 2511 output speed sensor I guess. Ordered one today and will give it a try when it gets here. Also had ol 95 which is oil level sensor failed. Don't know what to do about that one. Work in progress I guess. Thanks, for your input.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:11 PM   #9

Allison MD3060 won't shift out of first

I had a problem where my transmission would shift past third. It was intermittent so the tech told me to look at a connection from the shift panel to the tranny or ECU to tranny. There are solenoid valves in the tranny that are controlled electronically. No connection no shifting.

1997 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37', Cat 3126
Old 03-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #10

Thanks for the input. I will check the harness coming of the transmission and make sure the connections are clean. Pretty much waiting until my sensor gets here to rule that out anyway.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #11

If it turns out to be your ECU, there some options for a replacement, with a trade in. I found a place here in California in Anaheim, I think it was $500, less than half the price as I found other places, I think they were willing to send me one to test, but knowing mine was dead I just opted to just trade it out and install. No problems ever since. Knock wood. Mine kept popping back into neutral, until the Treans just would not do anything except + + on the display.
bobioknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #12

I've never had a problem, but the company referenced below has been recommended on several posts for repair of Allison electronics.

John Kopalek and Transmission Instruments
3634 long prairie rd suite 108
Flower Mound, TX 75022
866-439-9779

Fred
Old 03-20-2016, 04:54 PM   #13

Thank you both for your input. I am about at my wits end with this problem. I have installed a new speedometer output sensor and still not fixed. I have taken apart the wiring harness and cleaned and sprayed terminals. When I run the diagnostic check after it getting into first and not going into anything else is shows d 1 2551 which indicates the sensor, also is shows oL95 which indicates the oil level sensor failure but since it is inside the transmission and I am working on a bed of rocks driveway I don't want to drop the pan to get at it. I was hoping someone could tell me if the oil level sensor is failing the transmission wont get out of first gear. With the speedometer not working I still think its issue is speed sensors. I am going to order the input sensor now and try that. Thanks again for your input. I will give John Kopalek a cll tomorrow and see if he has any ideas.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by weston47 View Post
Hello all, I have a 2000 Monaco Diplomat with the MD3060 transmission. Just replaced the starter and now starts fine but when in drive it wont shift out of first or go into neutral or reverse. I stop and turn it off, it starts right up and the shift indicator shows N and it will now go into forward or reverse no problem. However, when I go the indicator goes from 6 to 1 and stays there no matter what I do. Also, while this is happening the speedometer doesn't work and stays at 0. Previous owner mentioned a bad connection on a sensor (I think) on the bottom of the transmission in line with the trans oil line for cooling appears there might be a valve in there I don't know. He had drove a small screw in the top because he broke it off I have driven it this way for about 15,000 mile without issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John
weston47
Although this may not be the cause of your problem... when my MD3060 would start but not shift out of neutral it was caused by a bad relay..(one of the 6)... in the Allison VIM, (Vehicle Interface Module).
Mel
'96 Safari

ALLISON VIM

Tags
allison