Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Allison Transmission Mode Button

When I purchased my coach the dealer didn't do a good job with the PDI and I didn't do a good job asking questions. One thing I was not aware of until the other day was the function of the mode button on the Allison transmission selector. After learning the button functions as an economy mode I used it on my return trip from Michigan to Georgia and averaged 0.5 MPG higher than on my trip up.

Here is a good write up I found online about the mode button.

ALLISON MODE:

There are TWO TOTALLY DIFFERENT "LET THE TRANSMISSION CHOOSE THE CORRECT GEAR" MODES/PROGRAMS in the Allison ECU which is the "electronic brain" controlling shifting and other functions.

In ECONOMY MODE, the transmission will not downshift even at WOT (Wide Open Throttle) until the engine pulls down to peak torque RPM in some application and 200 RPM lower that "regular mode" in others.

In REGULAR MODE, the transmission WILL downshift much earlier (to maintain higher engine RPM).

ONLY at higher throttle positions is there any difference, so on flat ground you will NOT notice any difference (except accelerating from a stop IF you are at or close to wide open throttle).

It can make a BIG difference in rolling hills. If you are in rolling hills and regular mode (particularly with the cruise control on), it is common for the transmission to shift down to 5th on the uphill and back to 6th on the downhill. Repeat this process hundreds of times. In economy mode, you will stay in 6th gear unless the hill is so steep or so long that the engine can not pull it without dropping below peak torque RPM. If you can pull a hill in a higher gear (lower engine RPM) AND the engine does not overheat, THAT IS WHAT CATERPILLAR AND CUMMINS RECOMMENDATION FOR THE MOST ECONOMICAL WAY TO CLIMB A HILL with a modern turbo, after-cooled diesel engine.

If you know you will need a lower gear because of the steepness of the grade and/or are engine temperature is rising higher than thermostatically controlled temperature, if driving in economy mode, use the down arrow to drop a gear (this is what I do) or switch out of economy mode. Be sure to switch back into economy mode when past the steep section, or agree to pump extra fuel in the tank.

IF your engine begins to overheat, your HP/weight ratio is low OR if it irritates you to loose a few mph on a hill in the name of saving fuel, in the hills, by all means drive in regular mode.

It confuses me to hear people advocate driving in economy mode only on flat ground, as there is not 1% difference in shift RPM's between regular and economy mode on flat ground, excepting accelerating from a stop if you use WOT.

Every time you start the coach, the transmission is in regular mode. This is the default setting. IF you push the mode button, it goes to "economy mode" AND the light illuminates.

There is no "absolute" on how much difference in fuel economy driving in economy mode will have. On flat ground where you will be in 6th gear irrespective of what mode you are in, there will be ZERO difference. The MOST difference in mileage will be in rolling hills, where in regular mode, particularly if on cruise control you will start up a hill in 6th gear, go to WOT in 6th gear, downshift of 5th gear still at WOT (WHERE IT IS USING A LOT MORE FUEL). After the hill is crested, the transmission will up-shift to 6th, then likely coast a little in 6th gear (unless you are driving with the exhaust brake on-- if you are it then applies the exhaust brake AND downshifts TOWARD the pre-select gear which is generally either 2nd or 4th).And so on 6-5-6-5-6-5-6-5.......

A modern turbo inter-cooled diesel is much more efficient at low RPM high throttle settings. This is NOT my opinion. It is stated in just those words in the Cat Owner's Manual and likely the Cummins manual as well.

Note: In either mode, you are free (and welcome) to use the up and down arrows to PRO-ACTIVELY choose the correct gear. You can not screw anything up-- even if you down-arrow to 1st gear at 70 mph, the transmission understands that you meant "please downshift to the next lower gear as soon as the engine RPM will not exceed the pre-set amount. Then downshift again when safe....."

By the same token, you can shift between regular and economy mode as often as you want with the transmission in any gear when you make the change.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
That looks like what Brett Wolfe wrote up about the mode button and it's use a few years ago.
Still true though.
But there can be many programs for the mode button like restricting upshifts for around town (only up to 4th, no everdrives). It's not set in stone although for RV's it usually is per the article.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #3

Although regular mode will perform better in hills, I've actually found that my Cummins pulls BETTER in Economy mode. I may lose a few mph in big hills, but it just chugs up. The added benefit is better fuel economy.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:18 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I drive almost exclusivly in mode. I like the shift pattern better, somewhat quicker and also it shifts to 6th gear (on mine) at 55 mph instead of 58 mph.
As I normally cruse about 63 mph it gives me a better gap between its downshift when encountring any grades rtc.
To each his own. But in driving its good to be proactive in usng the shift pad when encountering extended or steep grades and to keep your rpm up to avoid overheating. On my Cat 3126, its happy at 2000-2200.
Nice write up
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, most Alllisons offer two programs with the ability to choose

Econ/Regular
Regular/Tow-Haul
Regular/Grade Brake

To name but 3 pair they use. I have the last of the three.

Kind of wish they offered two switches, I'd love Econ with grade brake.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Here is a link to the Allison Owners manual and a few other related documents.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ae67f...2766057%212753

Dick
Old 09-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Although regular mode will perform better in hills, I've actually found that my Cummins pulls BETTER in Economy mode. I may lose a few mph in big hills, but it just chugs up. The added benefit is better fuel economy.
Recently there was an article in MH Magazine that discussed this issue. Consensus, use the economy mode 99 percent of the time. I just returned from a trip to North Carolina, never came out of the e mode. No problems hill climbing and the fuel economy was improved. I'll take improved diesel economy the least we paid was $3.99 per gallon
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have also read that if you are in economy and it keeps shifting back and forth between 5th and 6th gear, to just take it out of economy mode until the terrain stops undulating. I also enjoy 6th gear in econo mode at 55 mph, with Cummins 340 and Alyson 2500.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I have also read that if you are in economy and it keeps shifting back and forth between 5th and 6th gear, to just take it out of economy mode until the terrain stops undulating. I also enjoy 6th gear in econo mode at 55 mph, with Cummins 340 and Alyson 2500.
What is actaully said is to put it into "economy" mode if it's hunting (shifting down and up). The economy mode lets the engine pull down to torque peak before shifting down so it doesn't shift as often.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allison, transmission