Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2014, 05:18 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
I posted this question in the Damon owners section, but did not get any replies, so I"ll try my luck here. Did anyone have to remove hard wood planks in the kitchen area before installing the vinyl plank flooring? I have carpet and a small section of wood in the kitchen. I was wondering if the sub-floor gets all torn up removing the wood in the kitchen area.
I removed some OEM hardwood flooring in a Gulf Stream class A. It left no more holes than the staples used for the carpet install.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
What kind of underlay did you use?

ronspradley

Here is what I used. I cut it about 2" from each outside edge.

Traffic Master 100 sq. ft. 25 ft. x 4 ft. x .093 in. Premium 3-in-1 Underlayment

Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:01 AM   #31

I am trying to decide between the Allure and some conventional laminate floors. The current laminate floor I am contemplating is a hampton bay that has an AC4 wear rating, which is a commercial grade (5 is the best). I cannot find Allure's AC rating, perhaps because vinyl isn't rated in the same way but it is not a commercially rated flooring, leading me to believe it is AC3 or lower. My concern is wear and tear from the slides coming in and out. I can take my keys to this sample of the hampton bay and have to work VERY hard to get it to scratch. Of course with all floors like this, once it scratches it is hard to fix.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #32

Been thinking about installing this vinyl floor for some time but have a couple of questions.
My driver side slide moves in and out on carpet, this new vinyl would be much thinner so would that be a problem? Seems like it would be scratched the first time the slide was moved in and out??
The curb side slide is half on carpet and the kitchen half is on vinyl. There is a good half inch difference in height between the carpet and the vinyl, would this be a problem with all vinyl with the new floor?
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #33

I don't know if you read my post about allure. We put it down in our entire coach 1 and a half years ago. It was the click style. If water falls on it it beads up. For the first 6 months everything was fine and then the dining room slide started to scratch it in two places, wasn't too bad, we just used a cherry wax stick and that covered it. But our fridge icemaker line broke and flooded the kitchen area two months ago, mopped it all up but guess what, now the floor is buckling and coming up in that area. I should have gone with tile which would have been cemented down. We are probably going to do that in the next year, the allure cost us a lot of money, but it can't hold up to any water going around the edges, it isn't sealed. Hope this helps a little.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:16 AM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
I replaced a good portion of the flooring in our last RV, which was a '78 Tioga. Worked great, looked great, with one exception. One of the vents blew right onto the floor, and was very hot, so the glue would soften up there and raise up. Other than that, we loved it, and will be replacing the crappy flooring in our TT with it.

@Rusty: I've never heard of "click-style" Allure. You sure you aren't referring to Pergo or something similar? They are laminated composite. Allure is vinyl flooring that utilizes glue, and doesn't soak up water.

P.S. When I mean hot, I really do mean hot. Can't keep your feet in front of it hot. Most vents shouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:44 AM   #35

Home Depot sells the Allure Ultra. Which is click style.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #36

Gulf Streamers Club
The Allure website says no warranty if installed in an RV.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:44 AM   #37

"@Rusty: I've never heard of "click-style" Allure. You sure you aren't referring to Pergo or something similar? They are laminated composite. Allure is vinyl flooring that utilizes glue, and doesn't soak up water."
They now make vinyl planks which are click-style.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:46 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
The Allure website says no warranty if installed in an RV.

ronspradley
Most of what I have read people install it anyway because the price is 1/3 of what other flooring cost.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #39

Heat softens up edge of Allure

Syrenskywolf- you never mentioned what you did to fix the floor in front of your heat register. A commercial installer told me about using super glue to fix problem areas, and I was wondering if it would work in your situation.

As I mentioned in a previous post -In my install I wanted to use two different patterns/colors of Allure- "wood" in salon, and "tile" in bath. Problem is, I was running staggered joints and the change happened at the long end of the room at the doorway. I manufactured my own lap joint using a router, and used super glue to fasten the two floors together. Still looks/works great after 2 yrs.
(I have attempted to attach a photo- hope it works)
Bottom line- I would encourage anyone that is interested, to use this flooring product. If you are handy and like to DIY this is a very worthwhile upgrade.

Jeff Smith
'03 Itasca Horizon 36LD
Cat 330 & CRV toad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	54281  
Old 01-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorgan View Post
Been thinking about installing this vinyl floor for some time but have a couple of questions.
My driver side slide moves in and out on carpet, this new vinyl would be much thinner so would that be a problem? Seems like it would be scratched the first time the slide was moved in and out??
The curb side slide is half on carpet and the kitchen half is on vinyl. There is a good half inch difference in height between the carpet and the vinyl, would this be a problem with all vinyl with the new floor?
The flooring did get scratched by the slide so we found 2 stiff plastic squares to lay on the floor when closing the slide.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #41

No one answered my question in my post #32.

My Kitchen/LR slide on the passenger side is half on carpet and half on vinyl. The difference in height is at least a half inch between the thin vinyl and the carpet. How does the slide compensate for this?? I can't really see under it to see if it is shimmed higher for the carpet or exactly how is seems to slide just fine on the two totally different floor surfaces.

Was asking this question because if I remove the carpet will I have an issue concerning the height difference in the two floor surfaces??

Photo attached showing the slide on carpet and vinyl.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0341.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	55098  
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:40 PM   #42

One more question…….As you can see by the photos, I have vinyl in the kitchen and the same vinyl is up front by the door with carpet in between in the area between the sofa and love seat. The carpet also extends to under the steering wheel which you can imagine is always dirty.

Does the vinyl go all the way from the kitchen to the front door with the carpet laid on top?? Or is it two smaller pieces of vinyl with the carpet laid over the wood subfloor??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0341.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	301.0 KB
ID:	55099   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0342.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	55100  

Name:	IMG_0343.jpg