Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2014, 10:41 PM   #57

We have 1999 Tioga 29' Class C. We just installed " Costco" brand laminate wood flooring. Our last Tioga, we did the same. East to install and will last.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #58
Commercial Member

Recommendation

We used snap-together vinyl plank flooring from Home Depot (Allure or equivalent) to freshen the interior of our first truck camper, a 1985 Lance. The flooring was easy to install, matched the cabinets and other surfaces well, and is very rugged (tested by our 2 dogs and 1 cat). It still looks great 2 years later and everyone who sees it comments on the factory-like appearance. One of out best upgrades!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #59

Forest River Owners Club
Well, we have had the Allure floor in for a week now and there have been no issues. It is so much easier to keep clean than carpeting and parquet squares. We have experienced lows in the 50's and highs in the 80's just this week (southwest Florida). This area gets down to near freezing only a couple of times a year. Our problem is the heat, especially when stored in the summer. Temperatures in the trailer can get over 110 degrees. We were advised to install it at the hottest temperature we thought we would have. We purposely laid the floor on an extremely hot day with the A/C off. It was in the high 90's inside the trailer during the install. Now with lows in the 50's at night there have been no gaps. Hopefully the heat wont hurt too much.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have been and still are contemplating the installation of Allure flooring. After reading this thread I am a bit skeptical though. We live in ugly cold Vermont. Temps here can and do drop below zero all to often. I hate to spend the money to find out next spring that the floor has all separated and was a waste. Has anyone from a cold weather area installed Allure and if so what were the results?

I understand also that this is a floating floor. My next question involves the furniture. Our couch and chair are bolted right through the floor. Does bolting these back in place have any side effects of the "floating" of the floor ?

The current plan is to do the living area and the bedroom. Our kitchen already has a vinyl that is still in great shape. Are there transition pieces available to match the choice of flooring? Is underlayment a good idea or a waste?

Thanks to all. Our MH is a '93 and has served us well so it deserves a nice upgrade .... and we are tired of the carpeting.

Steve

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I live in the High Desert of southern California. My neighbors put Allure vinyl flooring in their 2005 Itasca Suncrusier. It get cold in the winter here. Many nights close to or at freezing temp and hot in the summer (90+). That floor has always had gaps at the seams and doesn't seem to stop. They are pulling it out next week and putting in laminate flooring. So my advise is don't do it. I just did laminate flooring in my coach and love it. Did it myself and it has 4 slides to boot. Newmar factory reps were fantastic as for as info and how to. It's not that hard to do. Hope I was of some help.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts
2006 Newmar Kountry Star KSDP 3910
Old 03-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #62

Steve,
I have heard of people drilling out oversized holes (say a 1" hole for a 1/2" bolt) and using spacers for anything permanently bolted through floor. This allows floor to float underneath the furniture.

I am doing my floor now, see my thread on installing laminate in my Revolution. I started looking at laminate (have had luck in residential applications), then allure, and then realized the best solution is engineered hardwood. It is by far the most dimensionally stable flooring you can get besides perhaps LVT. I didn't want LVT. I am very pleased so far, and am not yet done.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
We have been and still are contemplating the installation of Allure flooring. After reading this thread I am a bit skeptical though. We live in ugly cold Vermont. Temps here can and do drop below zero all to often. I hate to spend the money to find out next spring that the floor has all separated and was a waste. Has anyone from a cold weather area installed Allure and if so what were the results?

I understand also that this is a floating floor. My next question involves the furniture. Our couch and chair are bolted right through the floor. Does bolting these back in place have any side effects of the "floating" of the floor ?

The current plan is to do the living area and the bedroom. Our kitchen already has a vinyl that is still in great shape. Are there transition pieces available to match the choice of flooring? Is underlayment a good idea or a waste?

Thanks to all. Our MH is a '93 and has served us well so it deserves a nice upgrade .... and we are tired of the carpeting.

Steve
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #63

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Our Allure flooring has been down nearly three years, have no problems with it. Has been thru the hot Illinois summers and cold winters. We had drilled holes for holding down furniture, later did more remodeling to remove the furniture and replaced that section of the floor. We stapled it down along the slide edge, staples are covered by the slide's carpet. We put down carpet scraps when bringing in the slide during travel to avoid scratching the floor. No regrets, would do it again in a heartbeat!
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just ( last week) ripped out all the old carpet and vinyl, went back with Allure Ultra, went down easy and makes the coach look more like home.
FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:15 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico View Post
Our Allure flooring has been down nearly three years, have no problems with it. Has been thru the hot Illinois summers and cold winters. We had drilled holes for holding down furniture, later did more remodeling to remove the furniture and replaced that section of the floor. We stapled it down along the slide edge, staples are covered by the slide's carpet. We put down carpet scraps when bringing in the slide during travel to avoid scratching the floor. No regrets, would do it again in a heartbeat!
Calico, did you use the type with the sticky strip or the snap in edges to connect the planks together?
Old 03-26-2014, 11:12 PM   #66

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ours has the sticky strips. I used a hair dryer to loosen the strip we had to replace. We had a half box left in case of repairs or remodel projects.

I'm amazed how much dirt and sand there is when I sweep. That dirt was going into the carpet before!! We left carpet in the bedroom. Allure is in the living room, kitchen, hall & bath.
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:33 PM   #67

Thanks Calico
Old 03-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess after much research on this product (Allure) that I will NOT be installing it. The product itself appears to be just what we want but with the temperature swings we experience in VT it just isn't a good fit. I've read the manufacturers statement and if the temp goes below 15 or above 93 they will not cover it and with what the resulting damage seems to be, it just doesn't seem worth the investment ... even though it is minimal overall. If we had a much newer coach then I would give it more serious consideration. The carpeting in this old beast is actually in good shape so until a better plan falls in our laps we will stick with what we have.

Thanks for all the input but the short of it is the temps we experience are just not worth the effort of installation. -20 isn't totally uncommon in VT for at least 5-10 days per year.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Installed in a house. EVERY PLACE SUN HIT FLOOR IT EXPANDED AND GLUE STRIPS BECAME DISTORTED. DON'T let SUN through skylights hit the floor.
worob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:40 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
I think I'm the only person on the planet who just doesn't like that allure flooring. I know a zillion friends who have put it in their boats and rvs and love it. I put some in out boat and took it back out after about a week. Just didn't care for the installed look. Each to his own.

courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote