Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #15

Check the last 'con' on Allure's own website:
rkainsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2014, 02:05 PM   #16

Sorry sent before I put in link: http://allurefloorings.org/the-pros-...llure-flooring
rkainsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkainsworth View Post
Interesting... "cannot be installed in .... even a trailer". Good find.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I'm looking at the Mannington Walkway Vinyl Floor. It comes in 36 x 4 inch planks and is a glue down product. I will use the epoxy based adhesive to get away from the potential softening of the glue when stored in high temperature situations. This is available from efloors.com.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
We cut our kitchen vinyl out before installing the Allure, it has the same OSB flooring underneath the same as carpet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	324.6 KB
ID:	53743  
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
I'm looking at the Mannington Walkway Vinyl Floor. It comes in 36 x 4 inch planks and is a glue down product. I will use the epoxy based adhesive to get away from the potential softening of the glue when stored in high temperature situations. This is available from efloors.com.

I would not glue it down in an RV. Sorry, but a bad idea. The flooring material should float in an RV. The material can shrink and expand enough, due to large temperature extreme summer to winter in an RV, that you will end up with a damaged floor. And if you ever needed to pull it up, you'd have a real job on your hands to get it off, if you even could.

RV manufacturers only staple vinyl sheet flooring around the entire perimeter and don't glue it. Glueing floor down in a house is entirely different because the subfloor remains at a relatively constant temp.

At least check with the manufacturer before you go ahead with using glue.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #21

I installed both the Allure snap together (tongue and groove) and edge adhere types in the S&B. Both installed fairly easy. After a few years, liked the adhesive better. The snap edge pulled apart in a few places that could not freely move with temperature extremes. Would not be afraid to use the adhesive type in an rv. Be sure to keep the adhesive strip clean after removing the protective strip. The advantage to the snap design is that it can be taken apart and reassembled. Also smooth sub-surface is more important.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've installed the allure ultra version in the S&B. This is the click (no adhesive) style. The advantage is that it is considered "waterproof" while the standard version is "resistant". Mine has a lifetime warranty. I liked how it is just a score with utility knife and cut method.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:22 AM   #23

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
rv manufacturers are concerned about getting the unit out and sold. stapling the vinyl is quicker and they don't have to be concerned about any floor prep
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:35 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
I would not glue it down in an RV. Sorry, but a bad idea. The flooring material should float in an RV. The material can shrink and expand enough, due to large temperature extreme summer to winter in an RV, that you will end up with a damaged floor. And if you ever needed to pull it up, you'd have a real job on your hands to get it off, if you even could.

RV manufacturers only staple vinyl sheet flooring around the entire perimeter and don't glue it. Gluing floor down in a house is entirely different because the subfloor remains at a relatively constant temp.

At least check with the manufacturer before you go ahead with using glue.
I currently have a 6 year old Laminate floating floor that is separating due to the slide rolling over it. The product I selected is "dimensionally stable" I'm told and will not expand or shrink according to the manufacturer.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #25

We installed Allure strip vinyl flooring in our MH 2 years ago. The preparation work was exhausting, but the install was a dream. We took out carpet in the entry and salon and vinyl tile in kitchen & bath- new floor from firewall to bedroom. The subfloor in our Itasca Horizon is a plywood/foam/plywood sandwich panel and the old floors were all glued down- even the carpet pad was glued. We cleaned with scrapers and then put down rosin paper over sticky floor so vinyl would not adhere. I missed one staple poking out of the sub floor during the install. I heated the joint in the Allure with a heat gun and gently pulled joint apart with a putty knife until I could get under to pull the staple. Floor re-stuck beautifully- can't tell I'd opened it up.
We also use two different colors/patterns of allure and broke the pattern at opening to bathroom. Nice transition with no gap, batten, reducer, etc.
I used a standard router to make a lap joint and used super glue to hold it together.
Our slide room does scratch the floor while traveling so we've taken to putting a commercial rubber backed mat down before hauling in the slide.
Allure is not same color all the way through- deep scratches will show the tan inner core color- we use a colored Sharpie to touch up.
You won't believe how easy it is to clean- (and how much dirt used to get trapped in the carpet.)
Remember to slot or oversize the holes for things that need to attach through the floor (like heat registers) so floor can move around.
Still smiling after two years
Joan Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:49 PM   #26

I posted this question in the Damon owners section, but did not get any replies, so I"ll try my luck here. Did anyone have to remove hard wood planks in the kitchen area before installing the vinyl plank flooring? I have carpet and a small section of wood in the kitchen. I was wondering if the sub-floor gets all torn up removing the wood in the kitchen area.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:09 PM   #27

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
if it does, use some Durhams rock hard water putty- found in paint dept of homey/.lowes
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
if it does, use some Durhams rock hard water putty- found in paint dept of homey/.lowes
Thanks
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote