Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
I hear you Mel. Obviously some of the Brain Surgeons on here have never tried to sell or trade a Unit with cracked Michelins on it. Buyers don't care if the cracks are 1/32 or 1/2 inch deep. They want them replaced.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 01:20 PM   #30

If you have the outer wheels pulled to check dates, make sure the shop will reinstall. Some have rules when it comes to older tires. Discount Tire wouldn't even air up my tires when I picked up my MH because they were 12yrs old; no cracking, extremely good condition for the age. They said if they tried to add air to a 19.5" tire, the tire would explode. Idiots.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #31

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
We had a set of duals, which were Michelins, blow out on us. One tire blew and took the other. At the time they were about 9 years old. My rule is I replace them every six or seven years no matter how good they look.

I just replaced the Michelins on our present coach and the tire service bought the old tires from me. They use them on off road equipment. Didn't get a lot, but anything is better than nothing.

A friend of mine had two blow out like that and the explosion tore out the bathroom floor. Did a lot of damage.

Here! Here! My tire was 9 years old and looked great when it blew out. Scared the bejeebers out of us as well as took out the mud flap, the brush in the wheel well and the air line for air bags. The chunks of tire came of and hit the toad doing a few hundred dollars with of damage to it as well. Personal experience say don't risk your lives and the people you share the road with and drive with confidence that you are not likely to have a blowout at any minute. Just the fear of thinking it could blow at any minute is just not a comforting thought. IMHO you have reached the safe and serviceable life of the tire.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 01-27-2015, 05:41 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
What you don't know is how much time the tires have spent at elevated temperatures. As, according to a Good Sam report, 60% of tire failures are on tires less than 4 years old, I would say temperature history is far more significant than age. You may want to check out some of Roger Marble's articles on tires.
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:48 AM   #33

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterd503 View Post
What you don't know is how much time the tires have spent at elevated temperatures. As, according to a Good Sam report, 60% of tire failures are on tires less than 4 years old, I would say temperature history is far more significant than age. You may want to check out some of Roger Marble's articles on tires.

As you say this I got an IR thermometer when I got my MH to try and determine any heat related problems anywhere on the coach including tires. I could never come up with a standard uniform tire temperature no matter how fast I drove or what environment!! Tires on the shaded side were significantly cooler than on the sunny side driving 65 MPH and the inside dual was warmer yet! Anyone figure out how to use this information in a positive or useful way?

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 01-27-2015, 07:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CV23 View Post
If you have the outer wheels pulled to check dates, make sure the shop will reinstall. Some have rules when it comes to older tires. Discount Tire wouldn't even air up my tires when I picked up my MH because they were 12yrs old; no cracking, extremely good condition for the age. They said if they tried to add air to a 19.5" tire, the tire would explode. Idiots.
You're calling THEM idiots?????? Did they ACTUALLY say the tire would explode, no question?

Or did they say they company policy (i.e. common sense on their part) wouldn't accept the responsibility/liability of airing up tires that were that OLD?

Just askin'
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:05 AM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Due to past experience with over heated tires on heavy equipment, and backing that up with Roger Marbles knowledge on tires, I avoid heat like the plague. I am a morning person so I hit the road early and stop driving by 11:00 AM or so. I usually drive around 60 mph, never over 65. Air up the tires to the sidewall recommendations for maximum load and cover them when parked. The highest temp I have seen was just over 100 degrees. That is even higher than I would like. It might sound like a lot of fussiness, but overall it helps to slow down the pace of living and that is a good thing.
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote