Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #1
doc

Appalachian Campers
Almost goofed badly

I was checking the coach the other day, getting ready for a trip this weekend. I turned on the fridge to let it cool down before putting any food in it. Went to the shed yesterday and when I came in I smelled a dead mouse. These things have an odor that is hard to miss. I searched and looked for maybe 15 minutes and then decided to pull it out of the shed so I could open the slides and search more completely. The odor was tough so I turned on the vent fans and opened a couple of windows and the door. This helped. My grand daughter was helping me and we opened every cabinet door and drawer we had - nothing. The odor seemed stronger in the center of the coach in the kitchen area. I started checking again and finally noticed a control button on the stove slightly open. I realized it was gas I smelled and not a mouse. I don't know how close it came to reaching the explosive point, but it had been on at least one full day. I shudder to think about my 3 year old inside that thing and what would have happened had a spark got to it.
From now on I must double check myself on everything. Just the hand of the Lord looking after us I guess.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
You should also replace your propane detector (or install one if you don't have one)!

Thank God everyone was safe.

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #3

one blessing
Old 05-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
And a pat on the back to you doc for having the tenacity to pursue something you knew wasn't right.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
You know, I had not even thought about the propane detector. I am pretty sure this thing ought to have one. It is an 08 we bought new. Gotta check that ASAP. Would it be close to the floor or on the wall?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc
You know, I had not even thought about the propane detector. I am pretty sure this thing ought to have one. It is an 08 we bought new. Gotta check that ASAP. Would it be close to the floor or on the wall?
Mine is on the kitchen cabinet near the floor. Propane is heavier than air and therefore will seep towards the floor.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you have any roof vents open for the gas to vent out. Or the leak was so slight the detector couldn't smell it.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #8

Wow, another thing you would never think about until someone points it out. I have a detector but I also smoke and I sometimes go into the coach to check on things with a cig. lit. Not anymore.... You are one lucky person. Someone is looking out for you!
Old 05-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Holy cow!! I'm not sure why the propane wasn't turned off at the tank (maybe you had just turned it on to check it). Mikron: roof vents wouldn't help because as was stated before, propane gas is heavier than air and will lay on the floor. Doc, were your house batteries drained? The presence of the gas could've caused the alarm to go off while you were gone and killed the house batteries......Wow...just when you think everything is going ok......
RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
Mine is on the kitchen cabinet near the floor. Propane is heavier than air and therefore will seep towards the floor.
Mine is in the same place at the base of the sink.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was helping locate a water leak for a fellow camper, Went back to check on if she'd gotten it fixed (We found it) and she tole me she had a propane smell so she'd turned her gas off.

Except she did not know that valve is left handed so she'd really turned it on.

I checked for the leak.. First place I looked I saw

OFF, OFF, LOW, OFF

I guess you know the leak was easy to fix
Old 05-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
Went back to the coach to check. There is a detector there. It says it will not work if the batteries are turned off. But, they were on! The little light was blinking like it usually does. I had turned the gas on to purge any air in the line going to the refrigerator. I had the stove eye burning and I recall turning it off, but how it got back on - don't know. The valve on the tank is electric and it will not open if the batteries are off. I think my next step is to take my propane torch and use it as a source to see it the detector is working or what ever. I realize that I am one lucky fellow. I am so thankful that my grandaughter is OK. Thanks guys for all the good words and advice. You can bet I wil be double cautious from now own! THanks again.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
You can bet I wil be double cautious from now own! THanks again.
Yep, and thank you for taking the time to post this. Sometimes threads like this stick in the back of our minds, and come to the forefront the minute something doesn't seem right. Who knows, this may save someone else a lot of suffering, or a grandchild...
Old 05-13-2011, 05:21 AM   #14

A Bic lighter can be used to test your propane detector. Just don't light the flame.