Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 05:28 AM   #15

Took our first big trip using our VMspc. It seemed to work fine and was interesting to be able to see all the available instrumentation with numbers. I set the SW to use the Cummins 300 HP ISB engine. It was interesting that a couple of readings did not come through. Mainly Oil Temp stayed at zero (maybe a Freightliner implementation of the SW?). The Trans Oil temp also went to zero intermittently. Not sure if that was the wiring on my MH, something with the Silverleaf VMspc or just a SW glitch. In any event my next project is to find a better mounting spot for my monitor. I have a little 7" HDMI display I had bought for something else a long time ago. The PC rides on a little el-cheapo ottoman we bought that sits between the front seats and is nice for some extra storage.

I'll be playing with scene layout as I go. Not sure exactly how to do the data logging. Would be nice to know what "normal" is for the MH as we go along.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 06:43 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Manifold Temps is a good one to keep track of.
You won't get oil temps.

I run VMSpc on a old 15" Sony ME OS that has their old serial hook up.

Triker56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:47 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If the Cummins ECM doesn't track oil temp, which I don't think it does, you can't track it on the SilverLeaf. Cummins doesn't look at EGT's either. I like to run the Rolling MPG, HP and Torque screens. They give me a pretty good idea how the coach is performing when climbing. I also run two odometers. One I change at each fill up and one I change at the end of each trip. The odometers will give you your overall mpg and how many gallons you used between fill ups. This setting is adjustable. I kept adjusting mine until after several fill ups, I was taking within a gallon or so of what the SilverLeaf said I used. By doing this, you get a pretty accurate mpg rating on the screen.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I was just at the FMCA rally in Pomona, CA. and attended the Silverleaf seminar there. They just dropped the price of the "Glass Dash" down to $4995 installed price. What a deal..... Everything else dropped in price except the VMSpc.

Dave
djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
I was just at the FMCA rally in Pomona, CA. and attended the Silverleaf seminar there. They just dropped the price of the "Glass Dash" down to $4995 installed price. What a deal..... Everything else dropped in price except the VMSpc.

Dave

And you didn't buy 2?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
If the Cummins ECM doesn't track oil temp, which I don't think it does, you can't track it on the SilverLeaf. Cummins doesn't look at EGT's either. I like to run the Rolling MPG, HP and Torque screens. They give me a pretty good idea how the coach is performing when climbing. I also run two odometers. One I change at each fill up and one I change at the end of each trip. The odometers will give you your overall mpg and how many gallons you used between fill ups. This setting is adjustable. I kept adjusting mine until after several fill ups, I was taking within a gallon or so of what the SilverLeaf said I used. By doing this, you get a pretty accurate mpg rating on the screen.
If the engine doesn't have a sensor (like for EGT) the Silverleaf won't be able to report it either. When we had the ISC the Banks gauge was the only one that registerd and then only because I installed the sensor as required. Cummins doesn't add it to all engines. I'm not sure my ISX has one either, when we get it back from the shop I'll have to do some looking.
The so called HP and torque "readings are nothing more than a programming trick using the engines ratings and throttle position. There is no way to really measure them except on a chassis dyno.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
If the engine doesn't have a sensor (like for EGT) the Silverleaf won't be able to...
The so called HP and torque "readings are nothing more than a programming trick using the engines ratings and throttle position. There is no way to really measure them except on a chassis dyno.
I think "trick" is a bit harsh. Its a calculation based on available instrumentation data. A dyno is certainly the only way to measure power at the wheels.

I was hoping Oil Temp was available only because its interesting to see how different engine/transmission working fluid/cooling fluids interact. Sort of like going back to Thermodynamics class. I'd also like Fuel Rail pressure (fuel flow seems to be the only active data stream) and EGT. But as you have pointed out, I don't think there is an EGT sensor in this engine package.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mr_D.....I certainly understand that the SilverLeaf program is not giving me the same readings as a dyno. It's using information received from the ECM to estimate a reading. I use those estimates to drive my coach. When I see my coach hit 100% of available power while climbing, I downshift and often back off the throttle. When I see the rolling MPG decrease, it's telling me that the road has a slight incline or the headwind has increased. It's only an estimate, but it speaks volumes as to what the coach is doing and how I drive it.

I've adjusted my VMSpc numerous times until I got the rolling mpg to pretty much match the amount of fuel used at each fill up. I like knowing these numbers.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #23

Glass Dash VMS-645 pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"jondrew".....custom glass dash setups.....about $12K....now those look nice!
Due to the volume increase by our OEM folks, the retail price has been adjusted to match. Your price for the Silverleaf VMS-645 Glass Dash was $10k plus installation. Now its $4995. The installation costs are a variable as each dash mount is tailored. Nice just got a bit nicer. ;-)

Cheers

Art Renda
Documentation Central
Silverleaf Electronics
(888) 741-0259