Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
glarnold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bellevue, Nebraska
Posts: 436
Alternative to toad?

Did a search and found no posts. Has anyone here heard or used turo dot com? Appears to be a company that helps people rent their autos to others. Sort of like Uber, but without the driver. Looks like reasonable rates with discounts for weekly or monthly. We're thinking of taking the motorhome to Gulf coast this year, but without a toad. Rentals seem to have gone out of sight, with huge fees added on (about $700 for one month. About half that with these folks. Just looking for information and experiences. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
2004 Damon Daybreak
Former Full-Timers
glarnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Monkey Run's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Sodus Point NY
Posts: 386
We are new to the motorhome segment and struggle with toad vs rental vs whatever. Never heard of the owner/rental thing but personally would never consider such an arrangement. I do have a motorcycle license so have given thought to the hitch mount carrier and an inexpensive beater bike such as an old Honda with bags. Just a thought.
__________________

__________________
Don and Nancy
Christians, NRA Endowment Members
Monkey Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:05 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Davdeb1's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Avon Lake, Oh
Posts: 2,884
I've never heard of the site. I went to it and the least expensive I've seen is $30 per day. You can rent a small car from Budget from $520 in January from ft Myers airport. Why not just get a new maintained car from a established agency?
__________________
2000 HOLIDAY RAMBLER ENDEAVOR
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
glarnold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bellevue, Nebraska
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I've never heard of the site. I went to it and the least expensive I've seen is $30 per day. You can rent a small car from Budget from $520 in January from ft Myers airport. Why not just get a new maintained car from a established agency?
Not to quibble, but I just went to the Budget site for Fort Myers, FL, and the cheapest thing they had was $917.53, for the month of January, and that was with no additional options, but before some of the final fees. Those $10 or $20 dollar a day ads they put out are only the beginning. If you go clear thru the process, it really adds up.

At the site I mentioned, the cheapest ones they have are $20 a day. But they have a 25% discount for a weekly and a 40% discount for a monthly. So for the month of January, that would be $12 dollars a day, $360 for the month. That's actually affordable.

Just wondered if anyone on here had actually used the service.

Thanks for the info.
__________________
2004 Damon Daybreak
Former Full-Timers
glarnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 249
They just changed their name from relay rides to turo. I use them last month for a week in nashville had no issues.
Way cheaper than normal rental companies. I paid $140 for 5 days, airport rental would have been close to $300

I plan to be in ft myers next month and have already looked into renting again thru turo
__________________
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:44 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 12
turo.com try that or google relay rides and see what pops up. Never tried them.
__________________
vstanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Davdeb1's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Avon Lake, Oh
Posts: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by glarnold View Post
Not to quibble, but I just went to the Budget site for Fort Myers, FL, and the cheapest thing they had was $917.53, for the month of January, and that was with no additional options, but before some of the final fees. Those $10 or $20 dollar a day ads they put out are only the beginning. If you go clear thru the process, it really adds up.

At the site I mentioned, the cheapest ones they have are $20 a day. But they have a 25% discount for a weekly and a 40% discount for a monthly. So for the month of January, that would be $12 dollars a day, $360 for the month. That's actually affordable.

Just wondered if anyone on here had actually used the service.

Thanks for the info.
I just went on the Budget site and the small car was $520 at Ft Myers for January.
We must be looking at different sites?
A new car backed in case of breakdowns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1447807497042.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	112215  
__________________
2000 HOLIDAY RAMBLER ENDEAVOR
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 104
Turo.com seems like a really neat idea. It does say that because they are not a normal car rental company, your credit card coverage and your auto policy might not cover damage. So you might have to buy their insurance. You can't see the cost of insurance till you get to the end of the booking process. So, while I saw some affordable cars, I have no idea what the cost would be for a month in Arizona.
__________________
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Rusty years's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
Turo.com seems like a really neat idea. It does say that because they are not a normal car rental company, your credit card coverage and your auto policy might not cover damage. So you might have to buy their insurance. You can't see the cost of insurance till you get to the end of the booking process. So, while I saw some affordable cars, I have no idea what the cost would be for a month in Arizona.
Your auto policy should cover any car you drive. Check your policy.

Rent a late model used car from https://www.rentawreck.com/ in Ft Myers.
3388 Fowler St, Fort Myers, FL (239) 939-0776
__________________
Follow us at: http://joelandesta.blogspot.com/
2006 HR Endeavor 40'...2002 Corvette
2011 Forest River 20' Cargo Trailer
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:20 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
glarnold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bellevue, Nebraska
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty years View Post
Your auto policy should cover any car you drive. Check your policy.

Rent a late model used car from https://www.rentawreck.com/ in Ft Myers.
3388 Fowler St, Fort Myers, FL (239) 939-0776
__________________________________________________ __

Thank you for your interest in Rent-A-Wreck of Fort Myers

Unfortunately this location does not accept online reservations at this time.

Please contact this location directly at:

(239) 939-0776
__________________
2004 Damon Daybreak
Former Full-Timers
glarnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 14,464
Blog Entries: 1
At $300 per month, it doesn't take long to pay for a toad setup, and you save ever after.
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
CCFROMFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 167
Try UGLYDUCKLING.COM they used to rent older vehicles for a lot less.
__________________
Chris and Carole Christian / ccfromfl@gmail.com
2011 Tiffin Phaeton / 2012 Ford Fiesta "Tow'd"
"Our Cause Was Just"
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:34 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
glarnold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bellevue, Nebraska
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFROMFL View Post
Try UGLYDUCKLING.COM they used to rent older vehicles for a lot less.

Thanks for the information, but could find nothing on them.
__________________
2004 Damon Daybreak
Former Full-Timers
glarnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
glarnold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bellevue, Nebraska
Posts: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
At $300 per month, it doesn't take long to pay for a toad setup, and you save ever after.
Using it one month a year takes about 6-7 years to pay for it (if you still had the same vehicle). Like so many things, it depends.
__________________

__________________
2004 Damon Daybreak
Former Full-Timers
glarnold is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
toad



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overnight Parking with Toad FirstMH iRV2.com General Discussion 12 08-24-2015 12:14 PM
Another Toad Front End Fire - Mine This Time :-( MN_Traveler Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 21 07-09-2015 10:44 AM
Toad Wiring and Braking Installation litlgeezer Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 3 06-24-2015 08:12 AM
Toad Braking system failure adonh Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 9 03-17-2014 09:49 PM
TST APMS When Toad has Factory APMS ProjectPro Class A Motorhome Discussions 2 02-05-2014 06:13 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.