Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2016, 10:10 PM   #1

Alternative to Trimark 60-1650 Door Locks?

We've had it.

In October 2015 the Trimark door lock malfunctioned and we were locked out on a chilly night in Buelton, CA. Had it replaced on October 15th in San Diego at South Coast RV. Trimark 60-1650 the "improved version" that already had a recall notice for a potential manufacturing problem. MIne was inspected and pronounced OK.

Last week in Massachusetts that new lock malfunctioned. The latch stopped retracting sometimes, and the door could not be opened. I blocked the opening on the strike plate with a piece of sheet steel and we continued on using the deadbolt to hold the door shut.

I asked Trimark about a warranty replacement. They said I'd have to ask Southcoast RV in San Diego to give me another one, since I did not buy the replacement lock directly from Trimark. The problem is, we live in Minneapolis.

Has anyone installed an alternative lock from another manufacturer?

Trimark BADLY needs some competition to shape them up.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 10:46 PM   #2

Was there something physically broke in the locks or did they malfunction? Because to me its sounds like the need to be properly lubricated.... both tumbler and mechanism.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #3

In the first one the latch physically broke.

In the replacement the inside handle would stick and not pull the latch, even after being sprayed inside with graphite lock lubricant.

The replacement lock came with a sticker warning to immediately take the RV in for service to the lock if it malfunctioned in any way.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:00 PM   #4

Ok makes more sense. The replacement lock was "over tightened" during install. The body of a lock is a somewhat floating item. It must be secure to make sure it works right and does not move when you use it but not so tight that it compresses the lock frame. Over tightening the mounting screws will interfere with the moving parts flowing as they should.... regardless of how much lube you apply.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:21 AM   #5

Thanks for the idea. But why would a lock work for a year and then become too tightly attached? I could see it becoming looser. But not tight.

I will see of loosening the mount makes the handle stop "catching" and freezing.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:45 PM   #6

I had 2 locks break in one year. The latch bolt snapped on both locks. I found the striker plate bolt retainer hole was open all the way to the frame of the MH. When you close the door the bolt slams closed and the nylon stop/guide in the lock fatigues over time and breaks allowing the bolt to hit metal to metal inside the lock until it snaps. I took a wood screw and ran it inside the striker plate into the door frame so when the bolt goes into the plate when closing the door it hits the wood screw allowing the bolt to latch but not letting it slam into the internal nylon stop/guide. I did this about 8 months ago so I don't know if will work long term but the bolt is not hitting the internal nylon stop/guide causing it to break.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:04 PM   #7

Wow, that is very perceptive. I wonder if that is why our first latch broke. I noticed the striker bolt retaining hole is open about an inch deep into our door frame. But the only thing to screw a wood screw into for us would be the styrofoam internal insulation between the panels in the wall.

I guess I'm going to have to go out there and take the lock out and apart and see how it all works. Hopefully I can get it back in there again.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:51 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We changed our time-bomb Trimark 16-650 for a Bauer EM...wonderful upgrade. Power deadbolt w/ manual key alternative...no sales-lot lock on the strike bolt to accidentally lock you out...and, single key (not so common, like Trimark).

Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We had the bauers with remote on our 2013 redwood and had nothing but trouble with them...
nice people and always responded, but when minutes count, they are days away

Now they might have improved as we moved on and got rid of that 5'er
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:20 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
We had the bauers with remote on our 2013 redwood and had nothing but trouble with them...
nice people and always responded, but when minutes count, they are days away

Now they might have improved as we moved on and got rid of that 5'er
Bauer has no product with a remote...and none since I started looking to replace the 16-650 in 2013.

I believe Redwood RV used 3 type door locks:
-Bauer,
-Southco (hardwired and some with remotes) - http://www.southco.com/en-us/product....html?hid=7336
-and RV LOCK (with remote) - Like... https://www.rvlock.com/

For the OP, Bauer and RV LOCK are direct replacements for the Trimark.
We have no experience with RVLock, but price and quality feedback are not as good as Bauer...which is why we picked Bauer.

If Bauer has a lock with remote, would like to see it.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota51 View Post
Wow, that is very perceptive. I wonder if that is why our first latch broke. I noticed the striker bolt retaining hole is open about an inch deep into our door frame. But the only thing to screw a wood screw into for us would be the styrofoam internal insulation between the panels in the wall.

I guess I'm going to have to go out there and take the lock out and apart and see how it all works. Hopefully I can get it back in there again.

If you have only foam to attach to, maybe, cut a shim out of aluminum, plastic, or wood. Cut to the size of the strike opening. Small amount of glue or silicone sealant to retain it in the opening.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:09 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since they (RV door locks) are all time bombs, and Fleetwood dropped driver doors (stupid move), I leave a window unlocked. Someone wants in they will bust something anyway.

Tags
door