Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2017, 11:41 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
When we were looking, we considered the 60k price rage at first. In that range, a 2008 National topped our list. Really solid, well built, seemed to always be in better condition than other makers in the era. It felt like they were a few years ahead of Newmar and Tiffen at that point.

Ultimately we raised our price range, and went with a new Newmar...But the search process left me with a fondness for National products, and also sad they didn't make it through the recession.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2017, 11:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
not sure why you are excluding newmar, because if you can find one of their Mountain Aire gassers in good condition in your price range, you could stop looking. IMO, there is no finer gas Class A ever built. Quality materials and build make them heavy and durable. good luck with you search.
We have fulltimed for the last 6 years in a Mountain Aire gasser. I agree completely with what Ed says above. Another vote for Mountain Aire on a Workhorse Chassis.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:09 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Not sure what area you are in, but for the right coach, you need to be willing to travel. This one looks like a nice coach, and fits your price range. I.B. George may be interested in taking a closer look for you too if you asked! If you are interested in this year/model that is a good way to eliminate the "dogs" no matter what coach you are considering. Heck, I'm only about 1 hour away, and I'd meet up with I.B. George and we could look at it together. (I just LOVE helping other people spend their money!)

Not to get on the Chevy/Ford thing either, when I was looking for a coach a friend pointed out that is worse came to worse and you ended having to replace an entire engine, a Chevy Vortec long block runs about half the cost of a Ford V10 from most quality rebuilders. Just something to consider.

Good luck with your search, . . . research, research, research! Just don't spend so much time researching that you let a Gem pass you by.
X2 We traveled almost 700 miles, two nights in a hotel room with two dogs and a rented car to look at the Newmar we bought. You need to have as broad a field as possible to find the right one for you.

Good Luck and let us know what you find.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:16 AM   #32

Thanks all for the help and kind words.

A 2003 Mountaine sure just sold locally but I felt it was a a bit older than what I wanted. Current rig is a 2005 and wanted to move up 3 or 4 years. We will be not be full timing either so the shorter the better.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:05 PM   #33

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Thanks all for the help and kind words.

A 2003 Mountaine sure just sold locally but I felt it was a a bit older than what I wanted. Current rig is a 2005 and wanted to move up 3 or 4 years. We will be not be full timing either so the shorter the better.
You should be able to get a 10 or 11 Newmar Canyon Star on a WH or Ford chassis for staying within your budget and once the search is over. There's not a lot of good quality gas coaches out there in the newer models, to chose from, since not many will pay more for one, than an entry level DP.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
You should be able to get a 10 or 11 Newmar Canyon Star on a WH or Ford chassis for staying within your budget and once the search is over. There's not a lot of good quality gas coaches out there in the newer models, to chose from, since not many will pay more for one, than an entry level DP.
A Canyon star would be great. I have seen some Nice 36ft ones for sale in the past.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:17 PM   #35

Quote:
A Canyon star would be great. I have seen some Nice 36ft ones for sale in the past.
Yep for sure and thought seriously about getting a 2013 1 1/2 bath model last year, but we couldn't bring ourselves to it, with dropping back 6yrs and getting our present, low miles and like new quality DP, for a whole lot less.
There's just no comparison and after more than a year of ownership, there's just no going back and even though I might have given one, a pretty good argument against it, at one time.
Furthermore, our Rev is now worth about $14K more than the Newmar, so.......
Old 12-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Yep for sure and thought seriously about getting a 2013 1 1/2 bath model last year, but we couldn't bring ourselves to it, with dropping back 6yrs and getting our present, low miles and like new quality DP, for a whole lot less.
There's just no comparison and after more than a year of ownership, there's just no going back and even though I might have given one, a pretty good argument against it, at one time.
Furthermore, our Rev is now worth about $14K more than the Newmar, so.......
Just looked at your signature, is that a Fleetwood you got?
Old 12-27-2017, 06:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Just looked at your signature, is that a Fleetwood you got?
It says Fleetwood on it, but it's actually an American Coach, as are all Rev's.
Fleetwood owned American at the time, so when they decided on a top of the line coach of their own, all they had to do was build it on the American platform and call it their own. Since 2010 Fleetwood and American are separately owned, along with Monaco and HR, by the REV GROUP so the Revolution model now says American on it and sports the American logo. I believe there were some variations along the way with hints as to their origin displayed on the outside, like Fleetwood American and such.
These older Rev LE's are on a Spartan chassis and have a side radiator, including top of the line leather and wood interiors. Also, the 05, 06 and 07 have the CAT C9 engine and whether or not, you might be partial to CAT's, like I am or not.
This puts me in mind of a great little Dodge Colt we once had, that was pure Mitsubishi and the only thing Dodge about it, was the name tag.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #38

Quote:
It says Fleetwood on it, but it's actually an American Coach, as are all Rev's.
Fleetwood owned American at the time, so when they decided on a top of the line coach of their own, all they had to do was build it on the American platform and call it their own. Since 2010 Fleetwood and American are separately owned, along with Monaco and HR, by the REV GROUP so the Revolution model now says American on it and sports the American logo. I believe there were some variations along the way with hints as to their origin displayed on the outside, like Fleetwood American and such.
These older Rev LE's are on a Spartan chassis and have a side radiator, including top of the line leather and wood interiors. Also, the 05, 06 and 07 have the CAT C9 engine and whether or not, you might be partial to CAT's, like I am or not.
Sounds like a really nice coach. I have seen some older diesels that look really nice.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #39

Quote:
Sounds like a really nice coach. I have seen some older diesels that look really nice.
Thanks and it can't hurt to give one a looksee for yourself, with an 05 LE that would probably fit your budget.
I'm not concerned so much with age, as I am of quality and engineering and might have bought an older Prevost, Newell or the like, if we could have found one with 3 slides and a bath and a half to fit our budget, but don't think they exist.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Thanks and it can't hurt to give one a looksee for yourself, with an 05 LE that would probably fit your budget.
I'm not concerned so much with age, as I am of quality and engineering and might have bought an older Prevost, Newell or the like, if we could have found one with 3 slides and a bath and a half to fit our budget, but don't think they exist.
I have not even set foot in a DP yet not alone driven one :-)

For our part time use in Michigan a diesel is probably overkill for us, also looking to not go any longer than what we have already.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:13 AM   #41

Quote:
I have not even set foot in a DP yet not alone driven one :-)

For our part time use in Michigan a diesel is probably overkill for us, also looking to not go any longer than what we have already.
They make them pretty short, but not sure of the quality in these lengths.
We've found that bigger is better after some years of travel and really doesn't make much difference for driving one or parking it somewhere.
With limited use, you could have a point and we just might find ourselves in this situation now that we've finally got what we should have had years ago and after traveling every state in the lower 48. Still no biggie, except with the maintenance costs, extra oil, etc..... and at least we can enjoy the extra comforts, when we do go, which is still quite often, just maybe not for a 3 or 4 month duration, in the near future.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #42

Quote:
They make them pretty short, but not sure of the quality in these lengths.
We've found that bigger is better after some years of travel and really doesn't make much difference for driving one or parking it somewhere.
With limited use, you could have a point and we just might find ourselves in this situation now that we've finally got what we should have had years ago and after traveling every state in the lower 48. Still no biggie, except with the maintenance costs, extra oil, etc..... and at least we can enjoy the extra comforts, when we do go, which is still quite often, just maybe not for a 3 or 4 month duration, in the near future.
We are happy with the space we have in our 35ft, a bedroom slide would be nice (but not a must).

We have had the coach for 1.5 seasons and have driven about 5000 miles, not really sure a diesel would get much benefit with a diesel now, but then again if we had one we may do more miles:-)

Tags
class a, gas, newmar