Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #1

Alternator Answers

My Leece Neville Alternator on my 02 HR Endeavor quit working. After investigating I found that all it needed was a new regulator. Completely pulled it apart and everything else checks ok. Everyone wants you to think a new 400.00+ alternator is needed, two brushes and a regulator later and you are on the road. Although the parts are not that easy to find they are out there. 30.00 later good to go..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #2

Question for you? Did you happen to save the Regulator? I have been trying to put together a file of failures and pictures of the failed parts.
It's interesting to see some of the points where arching has happened.
The other item I'm trying to nail down is how the failures manifest themselves with in the instruments and what instruments.

Dick.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #3

Alternator Failure

I do have the regulator and I will try to get a picture of it. It arced out of the side of the block under the cover plate. A small hole about 1/16 of an inch. It manifested as an idiot light on the dash. The guage showed just above 12v and dropping. Was not hard to find the problem.

Leece-Neville is using a different regulator as a replacement #R240103726S as a replacement for #101900, New one runs cooler.

Complete test of entire unit showed all to be intact and in good shape. Total cost with brushes came to 55.16 and then my own labor. If anyone needs theirs repaired I would be happy to help.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #4

Fantastic!! pictures of the hole and the metal heat sink area would be helpful.Does your coach have digital instrumentation or analog tachometer and speedometer?
Did any of the gauges start to get a little jumpy before the alternator went out?

Thanks Dick.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:04 PM   #5

Analog, nothing strange at all, worked as specified
Old 07-21-2011, 11:40 AM   #6

I have noticed my tach acting eradicly off and on, as well as my alt failure light comming off and on sometimes, but not staying on, what am I in for? And how do I test my altenator. I have a 2002 Safari Sahara, 350 cummins ISC, I'd really like to get in front of this freight train as I'm home now and can do the work myself.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back when I had a big dodge Maxi-van it used to eat alternators.. I got so I could pull it fairly quickly, pop over to the Alternator rebuild place (They do starters too) and drop the new one in fairly quickly.. At the rebuilder they'd replace the bad diode board and it was good as new.

On starters: Used to have a car that ate the dang starter drive gears.. on that one I learned how to replace it.. I could go from OH _)___! to Varroom in less than 15 minutes in a parking lot.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #8

It may or may not be your alternator. Could be a bad or loose connection somewhere. The best way to check it is to find out what make and model alternator you have. Get the documentation for it off of the internet, try this site
Prestolite / Leece-Neville Technical Bulletins

Then test it is place. You will need to unhook wires going to it. That will tell you if it is bad. if it is bad they are not that hard to rebuild or replace certain parts.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #9

Edward,This could be a sign of arching between the regulator assembly and ground. I have lost 3 Delco Alternators and have saved the regulator from the last one to fail.Wish I had been smart enough to pick up on this problem sooner.I now can see the areas where the arching pits the heat sink.
In my case the dead givaway is the speedometer starts to jump around and even goes to like 80+mph and the tack stays steady.
I would love any pictures of the regulators so I can compile a folder of pictures to post in the files section with some information on how each case effects different alternators and application.
Anyone willing to assist just post here and I will inform you of the areas to look at and where to forward your contribution to the effort.
The VMSpc registers it as a varying voltage that can be less then the normal 13.5 or grater then 14+. The charge indicator dot on the window goes from green to yellow to red and there is no pattern.
There is a workaround if the bearings do not seize up. You can remove the exciter wire and tape it up. This prevents the alternator from putting out any voltage.
You then start you generator and run everything from the charger / inverter to get to where you can get it fixed.This works if your coach is set up in the proper configuration.
I have driven mine over 1000 miles this way and a friend has driven his across the Southwest some 1500 plus miles. Night and day if the output from the charger is sufficient.
The thing is to know what wire to remove as the alternators work the same, but the connection is located at different points on the Alternators themselves.
The Delco series is simple to find,its the generly a white plastic connector with a red and white wire.It is located on the back end. This is the end farthest from the belt / pulley. disconnect by releasing the locking tab and pull loose.
Hope to get some feedback from you and others.

Thank you Dick.
PS hope to post a picture of mine real soon.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #10

The loose or corroded issue listed is also a possibility as listed in prior post.

Closed post before including this item.

Dick.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeddie View Post
I have noticed my tach acting eradicly off and on, as well as my alt failure light comming off and on sometimes, but not staying on, what am I in for? And how do I test my altenator. I have a 2002 Safari Sahara, 350 cummins ISC
Ed, we recently had an episode with the alternator light doing the same (tach was not involved). Found a smallish plastic box about the size of a cigarette pack except only 3/8" thick within a foot of the alt. and 2 wires going into the alt. There were 2 fuses in the box (5 amp as I recall). One was blown. Best I can figure they are "field" fuses and my alt. was trying to work with only one field.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Just last week I had to replace my Leese Neville alternatoron my 8.3 cummins. It started out showing a discharge on the guage and then it would charge again. This happend off and on for a thousand miles or so. Then all of a sudden it started going down on the guage and the tach. quit. My rear view camera started flickering and abs light was on and off. When the batteries got down to low the allison trans. shut down , kicked itself into neutral and there were lights flashing etc. I pulled the alternator off and the whole back of it was badly corroded fron salt it looked like. Put the new one on and everything was good except the battery would no longer hold a charge. I have one of those big batteries. You may be looking at the same scenario.

Tags
alternator