RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
I had an alternator suddenly started putting out 16 plus volts and after trouble shooting I discovered the alternator was not sensing voltage correctly so I ran a new wire to the chassis batteries and my high voltage problem was solved. Might check your voltage sensing wire for corrosion or resistance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy125 View Post
I had an alternator suddenly started putting out 16 plus volts and after trouble shooting I discovered the alternator was not sensing voltage correctly so I ran a new wire to the chassis batteries and my high voltage problem was solved. Might check your voltage sensing wire for corrosion or resistance.

I'll check that! Thanks!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #17

In July while traveling around the USA the alternator in my RV stopped charging. Made it to Maine where my son is a diesel mechanic. He removed alternator and we took it to NAPA and other parts shops near Augusta and none have the capability to test that larger alternator. Ended up buying a new one at $451 - seemed a tad expensive. Best part is my son did all the work.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:25 AM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy125 View Post

I talked to a tech support guy at Leece-Neville this morning and he said that the sensing wire could very well be the problem. When it quits raining I will bypass that wire and see what happens! Thanks again!

Old 11-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #19

I don't know about your alt but mine from my London aire with 8.3 cummins I brought to midway deisel n electric and fixed it at $120 ,, maybe not same symptoms. my chassis battery always died after second day not being on supplied electric. one day I was trying to figure out and I put my hand on alternator and it was warm. well not supposed to be. when I brought in they said bad diode and was leaking voltage so that's why batteries died. and also had odd readings on gauge.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
I don't know about your alt but mine from my London aire with 8.3 cummins I brought to midway deisel n electric and fixed it at $120 ,, maybe not same symptoms. my chassis battery always died after second day not being on supplied electric. one day I was trying to figure out and I put my hand on alternator and it was warm. well not supposed to be. when I brought in they said bad diode and was leaking voltage so that's why batteries died. and also had odd readings on gauge.

I wish there was someone in our area that rebuilds them, but no such luck!

Old 12-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I finally got around to testing the voltage at the battery sense terminal on the alternator. It was reading 13.4 VDC without the engine running so guess that only leaves a bad alternator.

I found the best buy at AJ Electric, $239 with free shipping, which was about $15 less than Amazon who had the next best price. I ordered it today! This is a brand new Leece-Neville 2824LC.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:35 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I wish there was someone in our area that rebuilds them, but no such luck!
I found a guy working out of the garage in the back of his house to do mine. Water had gotten in and ruined the back bearing and brushes.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:17 AM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Another question! The info on the new Leece-Neville 2824LC alternator says that it is designed to charge both chassis and house batteries on motorhomes. Does anyone know if that is true on our 2002 Windsor?

Old 12-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #24

Try searching the part# on the internet. I got lucky and found a new $200 alternator twice for my Chevy Duramax on CL each for $20 (one to install and carry a spare). I even found new OEM glow plugs once on CL for 10% new cost. You can also check E-Bay and Amazon.
grindstone01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Another question! The info on the new Leece-Neville 2824LC alternator says that it is designed to charge both chassis and house batteries on motorhomes. Does anyone know if that is true on our 2002 Windsor?
Joe,
First off, does your alternator i.d. plate look like this one? It's ours. And second, while yours may be listed to the fact that it's supposed to be able to charge both sets of batteries, about 99.9999999999% of the alternators on RVs don't decide which set of batteries they charge. That decision is up to the wiring/components/chassis maker/coach maker etc. An alternator simply puts out the perspective voltage and amperage it's designed to do.
Your coach was/is wired with solenoids/BIRD/relays etc. that route that voltage/amperage to a given set of batteries.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0050.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	227913  
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:39 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
My alternator charges both chassis and house batteries, when the engine is running.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Joe,
First off, does your alternator i.d. plate look like this one? It's ours. And second, while yours may be listed to the fact that it's supposed to be able to charge both sets of batteries, about 99.9999999999% of the alternators on RVs don't decide which set of batteries they charge. That decision is up to the wiring/components/chassis maker/coach maker etc. An alternator simply puts out the perspective voltage and amperage it's designed to do.
Your coach was/is wired with solenoids/BIRD/relays etc. that route that voltage/amperage to a given set of batteries.

Scott

I couldn't see a label on it but the build sheet a partial part number that Leece-Neville tech support said was the 2824LC. Any idea if there's some way to tell if it's charging both sets of batteries?

Old 12-03-2018, 12:25 PM   #28

On most MHs, the alternator always charges the chassis battery. On many, once the chassis battery is up to 13.4 volts, a seperate device combines the chassis battery to the house battery and they both charge.

In earlier years ( some up to 2004 and older ) they used a diode isolator. With that, the alternator output went to the isolator and split out to both batteries. Since isolators are one way, electric check valves, the alternator needed a way to sense battery voltage from the chassis battery.
Leece-Neville developed the Dulvac system to do that. A Dulvac alternator is what they call an alternator that can charge 2 battery banks. Its isolator capable.

Google Dulvac for more detail.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator