RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Alternator info needed!

I just replaced the chassis battery. I noticed before I replaced it that the alternator voltage was high, but thought it might have something to do with the battery that was totally shot.

The voltage is about 17.2VDC at highway speed. That's in the red on the dash gauge. I'm reading it on the ScanGuage II.

Is there any adjustment on the alternator voltage? Thanks!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I just replaced the chassis battery. I noticed before I replaced it that the alternator voltage was high, but thought it might have something to do with the battery that was totally shot.

The voltage is about 17.2VDC at highway speed. That's in the red on the dash gauge. I'm reading it on the ScanGuage II.

Is there any adjustment on the alternator voltage? Thanks!
Bad Voltage Regulator,. Which most are inside alternator,. Very few will just replace regulator,. It's a throw away World!

Old 11-06-2018, 03:15 PM   #3

I have never known of a alternator that had an adjustment for voltage output, whether it be internal or external. Most alternators these days have built it regulators that are not adjustable. Everything these days is solid state. Way back in the old days Fords had an external regulators so I havenít seen one in decades.

You might be able to get your alternator rebuilt and save some $$ though.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jthigh View Post
I have never known of a alternator that had an adjustment for voltage output, whether it be internal or external. Most alternators these days have built it regulators that are not adjustable. Everything these days is solid state. Way back in the old days Fords had an external regulators so I havenít seen one in decades.

You might be able to get your alternator rebuilt and save some $$ though.
There are, or were, a few alternators with installed adjustable voltage regulators.

They had a small plastic screw that you removed and inserted a plastic blade screwdriver in the hole to adjust it.

I know they were used on Cummins and IH powered trucks, in the 80s. They may still be out there.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 03:46 PM   #5

If you can remove the alt most any auto electrical shop will test it at no charge and can give you a price to rebuild it.
V reg rebuild / replace usually less $ than new alt.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #6

I agree with removing the Alt and taking it to a shop to be tested.
Did that, replaced with a rebuilt alt four years ago. No problems since.
Regards,
JimB

Changing out an Alt is one of the most easy repairs on a RV,
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
If you can remove the alt most any auto electrical shop will test it at no charge and can give you a price to rebuild it.
V reg rebuild / replace usually less $ than new alt.

Let me tell you from experience do not run engine with a bad alternator, it is a cheap fix compared to the problems it can cause. I was in for $7200. 3 years ago in electronic repairs because of over voltage.
A rebuild alternator I think was only $300.00
Good luck
hshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #8

Hi Joe; Go with what Twinboat posted. You won't know until you look under the bottom of your alternator if yours is adjustable. Small slotted plastic screw on the underside closest to you. Inside a slotted adjustment for voltage. The alternator on my 2000 Windsor was adjustable. Got up to 15.5V and adjusted it down to 14.7V after talking to a tech. at Monaco. Lasted 2 more years before the internal regulator gave up the ghost and died. Had to have it rebuilt, but they did not put the adjustable regulator back in. Hope this info is helpful.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all of you for your comments! I will look at the alternator for a part number and possible adjustment!

Old 11-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #10

I had an over voltage situation when the regulator went bad on one of my vehicles a longggg time ago. Noticed the headlights had gotten brighter than usual and after a coupld of minutes of driving, had one burn out. I knew that this wasn't a good thing for the rest of the electrical components on the car. Can't remember any of the particulars but I was able to take the alternator apart myself and replace the regulator inside it fairly easily. Of course, things have probably changed and it may be a lot more difficult these days.

As stated above, an alternator repair shop can probably check and repair it for a nominal cost.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Alternator quit on our '02 DSDP. Didn't even notice it since we went park to park so the batteries were fully charged the next morning. Got a new one for something over $400 then had the old one rebuilt for $160 for a spare. Still have it too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Joe not sure how long you operated at 17 plus volts but if you don’t have sealed batteries I would recommend that you check them for lack of better term , boiling over.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:34 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy125 View Post
Joe not sure how long you operated at 17 plus volts but if you donít have sealed batteries I would recommend that you check them for lack of better term , boiling over.

It was only about 5 miles after replacing the battery.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There are, or were, a few alternators with installed adjustable voltage regulators.

They had a small plastic screw that you removed and inserted a plastic blade screwdriver in the hole to adjust it.

I know they were used on Cummins and IH powered trucks, in the 80s. They may still be out there.
Yup, my alternator output voltage is adjustable...

Tags
alternator