Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #1

aluminum radiator repair

We are in the process of purchasing a 2005 Country Coach Allure 470 and did our due diligence by performing an independent chassis inspection. The inspection revealed a leaking aluminum side radiator and the inspection company recommended replacement, not repair. The dealer took it to their "go to" chassis repair company and they pulled the radiator and sent it to a local radiator company for evaluation. My question is: how many of you have had a successful aluminum radiator repair that lasted for a substantial period of time?? It's my understanding that aluminum radiators can't be repaired.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2013, 11:27 PM   #2

When we had our 2003 Endeavor, we had an issue with the aluminium radiator. The Cummins dealer here took it to a shop and they said 'that they could repair it but would not guaranty that the repair would hold'. We selected to replace the old radiator with a copper one. Yes we paid extra for it and it does weigh a little more, but for the peace of mind, we felt it was worth the extra.

R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:29 AM   #3

That aluminum radiator repair will last about as long as it takes you to sign the papers, then it's all on you. Do it right the first time, get the Brass and Steel with rubber mounts

http://www.radiatorsupplyhouse.com/a...flyer12-08.pdf
Did they say it had the wet PTO installed also a must.
http://www.jdrv1.com/sitebuildercont...s/pto-101a.pdf
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #4

They said it all.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
It depends on the type of leak and the person doing the repair. Is it a hole or a stress crack in the radiator. A stress crack will probally return while a hole, if fixed properly, will last as long as the radiator.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would insist on replacement as part of the deal.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:04 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending on the type of leak, the leak my be a sign that the cooling system was not service properly.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #8

Thank you 2 Stoker for the supply recommendation. We checked the PTO as part of the chassis inspection and that has not been installed either. I found that the Chelsea-Parker wet PTO kit is about $269 so not too much money and installation is probably not a whole lot so I thought that I'd use that as a bargaining chip to get them to replace the radiator entirely. They probably don't want to take responsibility for the wet PTO as it was not a CC recall item.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
That aluminum radiator repair will last about as long as it takes you to sign the papers, then it's all on you. Do it right the first time, get the Brass and Steel with rubber mounts

http://www.radiatorsupplyhouse.com/a...flyer12-08.pdf
Did they say it had the wet PTO installed also a must.
http://www.jdrv1.com/sitebuildercont...s/pto-101a.pdf
2 stroker
Old 07-29-2013, 10:34 PM   #9

I am inclined to agree Smlranger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I would insist on replacement as part of the deal.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #10

Looked like a hole to me however I can't imagine how that would occur in a side radiator. The dealer pulled the radiator and sent it to a local radiator shop so we are waiting to hear what their determination is. Fixable or not, I am inclined to ask the dealer to replace it with a new steel and copper one or the deal is off. The dealer has been quite cooperative so far but may not be once they learn the cost of replacing the radiator. The tires are nearly ten years old too and they don't seem to think that they are of concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
It depends on the type of leak and the person doing the repair. Is it a hole or a stress crack in the radiator. A stress crack will probally return while a hole, if fixed properly, will last as long as the radiator.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macraekw View Post
The tires are nearly ten years old too and they don't seem to think that they are of concern.
Wow, I think I might be looking for another dealer. When we just traded for the Allure we have (in April), there was no hesitation on the part of the dealer when I told them I wanted all new tires as part of the deal and the tires were only 6 years old.

10 year old tires on an RV are done, period. If they won't replace, I'd be looking for another $5K - 6K discount (depending on whether you have 6 or 8 tires) or the deal would be off. If they give you the additional allowance for new tires, my first stop on the way home would be at a commercial/truck tire shop.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Wow, I think I might be looking for another dealer. When we just traded for the Allure we have (in April), there was no hesitation on the part of the dealer when I told them I wanted all new tires as part of the deal and the tires were only 6 years old.

10 year old tires on an RV are done, period. If they won't replace, I'd be looking for another $5K - 6K discount (depending on whether you have 6 or 8 tires) or the deal would be off. If they give you the additional allowance for new tires, my first stop on the way home would be at a commercial/truck tire shop.
Thanks. That seems to be the prevailing thought on the forum however out of fairness to the dealer, the independent chassis inspector who caught the leaking radiator told me that there was no checking of the sidewalls and except for some alignment issues and cupping on the tag tires, the tires appeared to be in good shape and had another 10,000 miles on them. (The coach had been kept in inside storage). We already beat the dealer up pretty good on price so I don't know how much more he is willing to invest in this coach. NADA retail is around $140,000 or so and they committed to sell it to us for $115K. Replacing the radiator is probably around $6K to $7K alone I am thinking. Perhaps they made a lot on the trade though??
Old 07-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macraekw View Post
Thanks. That seems to be the prevailing thought on the forum however out of fairness to the dealer, the independent chassis inspector who caught the leaking radiator told me that there was no checking of the sidewalls and except for some alignment issues and cupping on the tag tires, the tires appeared to be in good shape and had another 10,000 miles on them. (The coach had been kept in inside storage). We already beat the dealer up pretty good on price so I don't know how much more he is willing to invest in this coach. NADA retail is around $140,000 or so and they committed to sell it to us for $115K. Replacing the radiator is probably around $6K to $7K alone I am thinking. Perhaps they made a lot on the trade though??
Not sure what model you have there but NADA low retail on a 2005 470 Quad slide Siskiyou Summit is $133,100. If you deduct another 10% which gets you to about what wholesale should be, that is $119,800 so $115K does sound like a good deal. We paid right at the wholesale price for our '07 and got new tires, a new mattress, a new clothes dryer and a few other concessions. Mine already had the wet PTO upgrade and has the brass/steel radiator.

If you can get a new radiator and are otherwise satisfied with the coach and what the dealer has done, even if you sink another $6K into a new set of tires (assuming it has the tag axle), you are still below low retail in terms of what you will have in the coach.

Also remember that you will need to allow another $1,500 - $2,000 for stuff that will need done. There are always surprises. Our dealer did the tires, changed the engine oil/filter, new fuel filters, and oil/filters on the genset as part of the deal. However, I took the coach to a Cummins Coach Care center after I got it and had the transmission serviced, air dryer serviced, new serpentine belt, changed rear differential lube, and had the chassis lubed and spent another $1,500 (it also needed two new chassis batteries). Other stuff will need to be serviced if it has not been done...Aqua Hot fuel filter and burner nozzle for example. So, just suggesting that you allow for those things.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:32 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
In the years around what you are looking at a lot of west coast builders (Country Coach, Monaco, Alpine) went with the "new" radiators. Turns out they were "throw aways" and most replaced at 13-15 months (they had 12 month warranties). It is a known defect and I'm surprised that it hadn't been already replaced.

Barb

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator, repair