Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Aluminum Wheel finish damage repair?

Recently I experienced a blowout of the steer tire. Thanks to the Tyron Band, the tire stayed on the rim but the finish has a lot of marks (not scratches) on it. I have polished it and gotten a lot of it off but am seeking suggestions of what I might use to get it back to that mirror finish we all desire. It is not a coated rim.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 08:31 AM   #2

You might try using Jeweler's Rouge. You may also check some of the larger truck stops, some of them have guys working the lot polishing wheels & tanks. Might also contact the manufacturer of the wheel for their recommendation.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuppajoe View Post
Recently I experienced a blowout of the steer tire. Thanks to the Tyron Band, the tire stayed on the rim but the finish has a lot of marks (not scratches) on it. I have polished it and gotten a lot of it off but am seeking suggestions of what I might use to get it back to that mirror finish we all desire. It is not a coated rim.
Kuppajoe,
Without seeing pics, it's hard to prescribe just what your next steps will be. I've been polishing wheels for a few decades and, brought out some nasty scars and scratches. I hesitate to send you in a direction that might make things worse, depending on just how bad the injured area is. You see, an actual scar or, gouge in the surface, needs some harsh prep in order "ease" it back in to a lesser damaged area/mark. Then, degrading steps of wet-or-dry sandpaper etc. as the area becomes better and better until it's basically faded into the surrounding shiny surface. Then, the appropriate rouges with higher speed polishing pads (about 1/2" wide by about 3" in diameter, tightly sewn).

Now, once that's done its job, you'll be ready for a finer paste or a liquid, based on how things are progressing.

So, you see, it's really hard to tell you what's next, without seeing the damaged area. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingCajun View Post
You might try using Jeweler's Rouge. You may also check some of the larger truck stops, some of them have guys working the lot polishing wheels & tanks. Might also contact the manufacturer of the wheel for their recommendation.
got mine done at the truck stop... 20 bucks each
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuppajoe View Post
Kuppajoe,
I misread your original post. If you have no damage left from your incident, and all you need is to bring them back to a high luster, then it's nothing but labor and, the correct pastes or liquids. A "Power ball" (sold at many auto parts stores) along with your choice of various pastes or liquid polishes, should render the results you're looking for. Polishing aluminum rims, or any aluminum, is pure labor, nothing but labor. The more you apply, the better the result. Good luck.
Scott

There's just a bit of time involved in what you see here.

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I spent an entire week polishing my rims last year. They look great. Ground out gouges and pitting. Next I drove over a narrow steel toll bridge and hit the steel curbing. So much for nice wheels.
Here is one Utube that show how. there are lots of how to's out there.

or if you really like to keep things spotless try one of these on your RV
outstanding video
Aussie RimShine Portable On-Vehicle Truck Bus Rim Polisher Australia
Old 10-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks to all for the great advice and links to on-line videos.
Looks like I just need a big can of elbow grease.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair