Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Aluminum Wheels

Hello,
I have tried several wheel cleaners, local stores don't stock Eagle etch cleaner, that coupled with Adams metal polish #1 and #2 this was the best result I could get on the front wheel. I show the rear wheel so you can see the condition. Not happy with results....sweat equity and power polisher was used!
Input is welcome and much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1069.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	623.5 KB
ID:	94705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1070.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	603.9 KB
ID:	94706  

Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You can give met-all polish. It is very good but let me give you a trick on removing any polish for no streaks. Take your clean wipe rag and put a little flour on it. Yes I said flour. And watch how fast it remove the polish. A painter friend showed me this many moons ago he did the polishing to on bare aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 05-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #3

Many auto parts stores sell numerous aluminum wheel/ mag wheel cleaner systems. I prefer "Mothers" and use a battery operated drill to make short work of the project.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:32 PM   #4

Try neverdull
Old 05-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Perfect thanks
They sell it at Cdn Tire..just a few blocks away!
b
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have used Sol Bright with good results. Have not tried it on the Ford or the coach yet but it makes the aluminum rims on our Gold Wings shine like chrome.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
get some FLITZ and lots of soft cotton jersey rags
http://www.flitz-polish.com/index.ph...externalId=541
mine looked about as bad when we first brought her home
I ordered some small polishing tools from PJ tool
Aluminum Metal Polishing Kit- How to Polish Aluminum Wheels

made a world of difference
only took a week to get al four looking sweet
after you polish and and are satisfied.... get some mild car wash soap
wash them real good, dry then apply a heavy coat of paste wax, it will keep them cleaner longer and only takes a wipe off to clean the road grime
last about a year between waxing after its polished out
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shiny tire.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	94708   Click image for larger version

Name:	april 2012 polishing5.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	94709  

Name:	april 2012 polishing1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	94710   Click image for larger version

Name:	april 2012 polishing3.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	94711  

Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A few years ago I bought some Alcoa brand polish. Used it on the uncoated wheels on the Dutch Star. After over a year they still looked about the same. I was just on the Alcoa website and I don't see it listed anymore. That's not good news as it really works and lasts too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:06 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
get some FLITZ and lots of soft cotton jersey rags
Flitz Paste Polish for Metal, Plastic & Fiberglass | Flitz-Polish.com
mine looked about as bad when we first brought her home
I ordered some small polishing tools from PJ tool
Aluminum Metal Polishing Kit- How to Polish Aluminum Wheels

made a world of difference
only took a week to get al four looking sweet
after you polish and and are satisfied.... get some mild car wash soap
wash them real good, dry then apply a heavy coat of paste wax, it will keep them cleaner longer and only takes a wipe off to clean the road grime
last about a year between waxing after its polished out
Flitz is da bomb. You might get better results using jewelers rouge and a high speed buffing wheel but the amount of work will be twice that of using Flitz
Old 05-19-2015, 10:08 PM   #10

X3 on the Flitz. Also works great on stainless steel.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 05-19-2015, 10:19 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I buff everything from copper and brass to aluminum and stainless at work and Flitz is all we use.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-nicola View Post
Hello,
I have tried several wheel cleaners, local stores don't stock Eagle etch cleaner, that coupled with Adams metal polish #1 and #2 this was the best result I could get on the front wheel. I show the rear wheel so you can see the condition. Not happy with results....sweat equity and power polisher was used!
Input is welcome and much appreciated.
brian,
Polishing aluminum, any aluminum, wheels, motorcycles, boat parts, motorhome parts etc. is LABOR. I've been polishing aluminum for decades and, I've used many, many kinds and types of aluminum polish, including all that's been mentioned so far. I presently have about a half dozen different kinds right now in my polishing box.

But, aluminum is just like wood. IF it's rough to start with, then more aggressive polish/rouge etc. is needed to break down the rougher surface 'till it get's to the next stage. Picture sharp peaked mountains to start with. The, after the first bit of labor and the primary polish or rouge, you have low, rolling hills. Then, with the next stage polish or rouge, you have flat lands with tall grass.

Then, with the final polish and rouge, you'll have a "Putting green" surface. I've used the brown, white and green rouges. And, they all have a certain effect.

But, your wheels are close, without knowing what you put on the wheel in the bottom pic, it's hard to tell just what's needed to bring it out of it. But, I will tell you that, (and you most likely already know this) it's much, much easier and more efficient to work on and polish those wheels, OFF THE COACH!

Flitz works, so does rouge, so does a paste and, so does a liquid. Using the right cloth makes a difference too. I've never had to use the "Flour" method of removing the black haze, left from using any form of polish. I simply buff it off with a clean polishing cloth.

But, to get to the fine, mirror finish you desire, it's going to take a couple of steps. If aluminum is scratched, it takes harsh polish/rouge/paste to get the scratches out. Then, what you've created is the "low rolling hills" effect. To get those out, you need to go to a better polish/rouge/paste. I've used Semi-Chrome for decades on my British motorcycles and, even on my present aluminum wheels on my Honda Goldwing and, it still is up there in polishing capability.

But, in all my experimenting to this point, it seems that, for a final, mirror (better than the "putting green") surface, I've settled on Mothers. I've also got some Zepher 40, which was a Costco online product only and, it's a very close second in producing the mirror finish. Once you get your wheels to that point, ANY of the products that have been mentioned will produce the effect you're looking for. But, again, it's LABOR.

You need to do a small bit at a time. DO NOT try to do a large surface at once. You can't achieve what's needed if you try doing too much at one time. When I'm really working on a bad set of wheels or, any other piece of aluminum that's close, I work on about a 2-3" square section at a time. When that's how I like it, I blend in, the next 2-3" square section. Eventually, the entire wheel is done. Yep, it takes time, no doubt about that.

Below are mine. They weren't in too bad of shape when we purchased the coach. But, I still spent around 2-3 hours per wheel, to get them into the shape you see them. Now, as for those that say it only needs to be done one time and, they'll stay like that for years, well, that's not exactly true.

If you get a set of wheels to a mirror finish, and, you don't operate or store your coach near corrosive atmospheres like the ocean/beach etc., they will last for around a year or so. But, one thing that most guys don't realize, aluminum is corroding AS I'M TYPING THIS! It never stops. You just don't see it like you do rust in steel. It just gets slowly progressively duller.

I guaranty that, if you get them to a mirror, let them sit or, use your coach for six months, then hit them again with some Mothers, you'll see them IMMEDIATELY brought back to when you did them the first time. Again, you just don't see the slow-motion corrosion. Anyway, take a look at the ones below. It's just labor, the fine paste/liquid/rouge and, the correct cloth.
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:37 AM   #13

Busch Aluminum Polish is the best thing I have ever used and it goes on easy and comes off easy.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #14

Another way is to contact Green's Automotive in Richmond BC and have them refinish them and you just keep up the maintenance.
G Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote